1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Narrowing down battery issues

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Bgustafson, Jul 2, 2017.

1. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Bold font mine.

Looking on their website, I see only one option for the Gen2 and it states, "Best Hybrid Batteries has reconditioned Toyota Prius Hybrid Batteries".

You didn't get a new battery. You got a "new to you" battery. It's another old (but repaired) battery and since it could possibly have 2005 modules in the mix, it could be even considered older than your original. Just keep all this in mind and be prepared for future failures.

SFO likes this.
  2. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
  3. Paul Schenck

Paul Schenck Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Keep in mind, "Prosperity comes to hearts willing to serve others."

iPhone ?

4. Paul Schenck

Paul Schenck Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Be sure to keep your documentation $$$

iPhone ?

Bgustafson likes this.
  5. Bgustafson

Bgustafson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Well... my battery just called it quits. You guys were all right and I have learned from my mistake. Some lessons I just have to learn the hard way, unfortunately. Never again.

Raytheeagle and SFO like this.
  6. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Uggh, sorry to hear this but yes it's not surprising as you are not the first nor be the last to have a refurb crap out.

GOOD LUCK!

Raytheeagle and Bgustafson like this.
  7. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    On the brighter side of things, you've kept the documentation/warranty info and can now get a used HV battery replacement !!

Raytheeagle and Bgustafson like this.
  8. Isaac Zachary

Isaac Zachary Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi there folks! I thought I'd butt in on this older thread since it kind of describes what problem I'm having.

I bought a wrecked (hit deer), red triangle showing 2006 Prius with DTC P0A80 "Replace HV Battery" that I plan on fixing up. The car hasn't been driven for the past 10 months, nor started for the past 6.

So I take it I need to purchase the Torque Pro app?? I just installed the "lite" version today. I also got a Bluetooth OBDII adapter that seems to work fine with the Torque Lite app. I didn't get Dr. Prius to work though.

Car runs and drives. I take it I need to set up PIDs on the Torque App?? I found the embeded video and think that's how I'm supposed to do it, and I hope it's up-to-date.

P.S. The 12V battery was dead when I bought it, but it seems to have "resurrected" itself after putting a 1.5A maintainer on it for two days. Also, previous driver reports that he at times got a red triangle saying the inverter pump was bad, but had changed it and later taken it to a dealer who deemed the new pump was fine.

I guess after getting info from the Torque app I'll be in a better position to figure out what's going on and how to fix it. I suppose another step would be to 1. clean out the battery cooling ducts and 2. take apart the HV battery and clean up both dust and any terminal corrosion. I plan on doing more testing on the 12V battery to rule it out, maybe even just replace it just because. I'll test voltage before each start.

Thinking future, I do plan on trying to revive the modules that I can. I'm not sure if I'll go the Prolong charger route, but maybe I will. Or at least a much cheaper 6 cell charger and a 9V bulb and doing each module individually. If that doesn't work, I might even try playing whack-a-mole and testing the modules individually and seeing if I can get used replacment modules and testing those. (testing Ah capacity, heat generation, resistance, etc.)

And last but not least, if all that doesn't work. then bite the bullet and buy a new battery. I'm undecided if I'd go with Newpriusbatteries or pay more for a new Toyota battery. I guess I'll worry about that when I get there.

Am I on track?

Thanks for all your help!!!

9. Isaac Zachary

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Update:

So even though it's almost midnight and way past my bed time, I bought the Torque Pro app and just had to give it a try!

Just idling in my driveway, I immediately noticed something wrong with block #11:

Blk / HiV / LoV /
    #1 / 17.6 / 16.0
    #2 / 17.6 / 16.0
    #3 / 17.6 / 16.3
    #4 / 17.6 / 16.1
    #5 / 17.6 / 16.0
    #6 / 17.6 / 16.0
    #7 / 17.7 / 16.1
    #8 / 17.7 / 16.1
    #9 / 17.7 / 16.1
    #10 / 17.7 / 16.1
    #11 / 18.2 / 15.1
    #12 / 17.7 / 16.1
    #13 / 17.8 / 16.0
    #14 / 17.7 / 15.9

Also when the engine turned itself off (I had to hold down the accelerator and brake pedals in driver since I had reset the car yesterday) all blocks were either 17.1 or 17.2V with the exception of block #11 which was 15.9V.

#49 Isaac Zachary, Jul 30, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
  10. Isaac Zachary

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So I have my eye set on a Tenergy 6 cell hobby charger and a 15V max discharger/capacity tester. I plan on trying to balance my cells in each module, then test each one's capacity, and change out the ones that don't make the cut. The question is how to get used cells that match my average capacity.