1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

National Theft Search & Recovery

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by Dragon Rider, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Dragon Rider

Dragon Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hello to everyone,
    I just received this letter from NTSR it said Anti-Theft Tracking Expiration Notice . It also said Registration is Required for your vehicle to received this service. We are waiving 399.00 fee the police traceable Decals cost when register. Has anyone done this it is real or fake?

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

2. Blizzard_Persona

Blizzard_Persona Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    I have never personally heard of that company?

You can always have your car Etched. Its where they use a type of acid and permanently etch all your windows with you cars VIN. Inquire with your local police or County and see if they offer the service free of charge. Sometimes The auto theft unit offers the etching free.. Beats paying 3-5 hundred to get it done (ripped off) by a dealer add on!

3. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    They are like a rash all over the internet. Discussed in the forums for Corvette, Hellcat, Subaru, and Honda. The first page of a Google search also brings up warnings from scamadvisor.com, consumeraffairs.com & Southeast Florida BBB.

Pure scam.

As for VIN etching, how many times is the VIN stamped or affixed to the car? You should be able to find 4 without looking very hard. How hard is it to steal a car? How much effort do you think the police put into finding one? Will etching the VIN on glass going to deter anyone?

4. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Etching the glass helps a bit to make the glass less desirable for parting out (it's traceable, if anyone bothers to do so).
    There are a lot of Prius out there, and they aren't very expensive, compared to some other cars, so I don't think they are a really big target. I have heard of traction battery thefts though.
    To steal a Prius you pretty much need to tow or "flat bed" it, unless you are a university team trying to make a name for yourself. ;)
    I don't think we carry a big target for theft. But what do I know? Some people will steal anything. :)

5. Dragon Rider

Dragon Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  6. Lucifer

Lucifer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    And they want personal info?
    This isn't even unwanted advice, it's just grift.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    SCAM!!!:eek:

8. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I can tell it is a scam even from this other side of the pond.If I didn't sign it, doesn't come from the state and I didn't ask for it, I ignore everything.

alanclarkeau likes this.