1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Natural Gas engine oil

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by cyberpriusII, Jan 31, 2020.

1. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I think I remember seeing re-refined motor oil on the shelf. With lower oil prices, I'm guessing it couldn't compete.

2. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Same here. $23-25 for 5 quarts in my parts.

3. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    A few posts here have touched on details of organic chemistry. Without (my) tiresome pedantic style. Very much appreciated.

Merkey likes this.
  4. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Just saw Troy-bilt/MTD motor oils packaged in plastic pouches. Same material as would my cat litter moved to years ago. So maybe those oild bottles will become less of an issue in the future.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  5. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    When I worked in a mom-n-pop auto service shop we weren't big enough to buy bulk lube and the modern 5qt bottle was not yet available. So it was cases of quart bottles. We wound up building a little rig in the back to rest 5 or 6 "empty" bottles neck down into a collector funnel with another 1qt bottle beneath, and kept it in a repurposed curio case for dustproofing. We recovered quite a lot of "heels" this way, enough for free oil for our personal vehicles whenever needed.

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Maybe bulk oil sale for the DIY market could be viable. I'm guessing not though; it's a waning segment, and people are too lazy, prefer the convenience of pre-bottled, aren't going to budge. Love to be proved wrong.

Come to think of it, used to be tinned quarts was the norm, and you had that pouring spout that doubled as a puncture device.

Once in a while I'm using bottles, and one trick I found, is to just set the "empty" bottles, even just a few hours, then come back and tip them out. You can do this two or three times, get a few tablespoons the first time, one the second, then maybe call it quits.

#26 Mendel Leisk, Feb 4, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
  7. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I do the same thing with my wife's chardonnay bottles!!

#27 Stevewoods, Feb 5, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
  8. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm confused here Mendel! If you say conventional, I thought you meant mineral oil. Does 5w20 (synthetic) also means conventional?

9. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It is interesting that the newer John Deere mowers have put convenience above the environment. They put the oil and filter in one replaceable disposable cartridge. Good for recurring profits too.

10. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    They're allowing oil changes? I figured they'd be quick to leap onto the lifetime oil bandwagon.

Of course it's Deere, you probably need a crypto code to reinsert the drain plug. :mad:

Edit: close enough, looks like you exchange the entire loaded tank.

#30 Leadfoot J. McCoalroller, Feb 5, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
    Prodigyplace likes this.
  11. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Their 5W20 bulk oil is conventional, and the 0W20 synthetic. They also sell synth 5W20, but only bottled.

Dxta likes this.
  12. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    John Deere has pissed off a lot of farmers with their closed software nonsense.

To be fair, many B&S operators were probably maintaining their equipment that way already.

13. noonm

noonm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Likely. Its a bit marketing heavy, but this Shell video gives a good overview of the process (jump to 1:15):

wjtracy likes this.
  14. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Nice video. Surprising Malaysia was its first company since 1800s. I'm kinda surprised, there hasn't being conflicts with the indigenous Malaysians to shell, as compared to what happens in the Niger Delta region of Nigeria, where there's has being conflicts since its inception in the 50s. Probably different strokes to different shell companies abroad.

15. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Nice video. Although they say Shall was first "Gas"-to-Liquids plant was in 1993, what they are not saying is way before that the fuel of choice was coal-to-liquids via Fischer Tropsche process, most notably in South Africa for many decades before that. You can see from the equipment complexity this is very expensive process. It's a tough call in todays economics to invest all that expense to convert gas to liquids vs. going to LNG for export. But anyways you can probably make nice quality lubes that way, but I do not think is the same process as the historic meaning of synthetic lubes.

16. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Regarding sale of "reclaimed" oil. I remember back in the early 1980s. I was a young, just married guy, living in Palm Springs, Calif. area without much $$$/

The local chain supermarket "Stater Bros" sold reclaimed motor oil on the shelves of the "auto section," such as it was. Do not remember the brand, but for some reason "Ray-Lube" pops into my head, but I could be wrong. It was very clearly marked and about half the price of the other brands. They also had "reclaimed" spark plugs, which makes more sense to me. In those days you changed them, what, every 3K? and mostly all they needed was a good cleaning. Well, I mean, when I pulled them from the car they needed a good clean. The ones for sale were already clean.

Despite my finances, I never did go for the reclaimed stuff.

#36 Stevewoods, Feb 7, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2020