1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

NAV display won't go into Night Mode

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by interocitor, Mar 22, 2005.

1. interocitor

interocitor Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I noticed my NAV wouldn't go in to night mode. My husband has a Land Cruiser with NAV and his works and looks great. He went in to the dealer and asked them about night mode on my NAV ... they told him it wasn't available on the Prius' NAV. However ...

It IS supposed to have a Night Mode according to the manual. Anyway there isn't even a button for night or day mode from DISPLAY. Brightness and Contrast are set a mid points. I selected Normal for both night and day mode on SETTINGS. I turned off my headlights (I usually use them as DTRs.) Soooo why can't I get Night Mode to work?

Also, there is a scrolling wheel located on the dash, lower left of steering wheel. It is set at about midway -- what does it control?

2. priusham

priusham New Member

Michigan - land of everlasting snowflake icon!
    I'll suggest that your dashboard dimmer knob/wheel is cranked fully upwards. Dial it back a bit (dim the dashboard) and the day/night mode will work fine.

3. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Welcome!

And as a warming gift here are two PriusChat points to double your points to four!

After you crank down that dimmer wheel (which is located near your left knee low on the dash) you can then go into Screen Setting and adjust the brightness, contrast, and color to your heart’s content . . . and you can do it for both day and night modes. Headlights off to adjust day mode. Headlights on to adjust night mode.

Enjoy!

4. jfschultz

jfschultz Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusham\";p=\"74494)</div>
    I wish there was some sort of light sensor. I keep messing with the dimmer because the lights need to be on when the dimmer/MFD still need to be in day mode.

5. addison1062

addison1062 New Member

I am wondering if this car has a daylight sensor. When I was looking through the gallery, I noticed a car that had a hole cut in the dash mat for the sensor...

6. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Not in the US. Canada has it for its full auto DRL headlights. There are two potential sensors on the dash. One is the radiant heat sensor for the A/C, the other is for the Auto-DRL.

I posted this on PriusOnline. The day mode button on the screen only shows up if the dash is not in day mode, either by the dimmer in detent, or the taillights off. The LCD backlight will change intensity following the dash lights, even if the screen is set to day mode.

7. addison1062

addison1062 New Member

Ah, right. I forgot about the DRL requirement in Canada.

Any ideas if this sensor can be adapted to give us an auto on/off fetaure for our headlights?

8. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Not likely. I asked Rick if DRL shows up as an option in the scanner, he says it dowsn't. The auto is integral with DRL. If the programming is indeed already in the body ECU, as we found the alarm is in any package, we could get the sensor, wire DRL relay output to the fogs, add the Auto switch and light sensor and be home free.

Then again, the function that really enables autoDRL may be an undocumented option like the alarm was.

9. interocitor

interocitor Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I did everything you all had advised before I posted. Sooooo this morning I thought I'd go ahead and try it again. Lo and behold, I started the car, turned my headlights on and there she was ... in night mode. YAY!

10. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(interocitor\";p=\"74750)</div>
    I kind of ignored this thread for a while, but you already solved the problem. I just want to complete the thread for future reference.

The key is that you had your headlights ON this morning. I'm gonna bet your headlights were off last time you tried to access the Display controls. As you figured out, the dimmer knob does nothing for the MFD display, just the LED dash readout.

11. jfschultz

jfschultz Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco\";p=\"74780)</div>
    The dimmer knob has an indent (or soft click) just off of full up. When full up the MFD will be in day mode even with the lights on. Move it down past the indent and the MFD will go into night mode. Further movement dims the dash but does nothing more to the MFD.

12. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jfschultz\";p=\"74787)</div>
    The dimmer knob has an indent (or soft click) just off of full up. When full up the MFD will be in day mode even with the lights on. Move it down past the indent and the MFD will go into night mode. Further movement dims the dash but does nothing more to the MFD.[/b][/quote]

Dang, busted again...you're totally correct...my bad.

13. jfschultz

jfschultz Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco\";p=\"74843)</div>
    Glad to help. :)

14. Orsino

Orsino New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jfschultz\";p=\"74787)</div>
    The dimmer knob has an indent (or soft click) just off of full up. When full up the MFD will be in day mode even with the lights on. Move it down past the indent and the MFD will go into night mode. Further movement dims the dash but does nothing more to the MFD.[/b][/quote]

Very odd feature, that. It makes the day/night mode button disappear from the MFD--not just grayed out, but gone. Turns out that the very last paragraph in the manual mentions this.

What I'd really like is for the day/night mode to key off the mirror dimmer, rather than off the headlights. My state laws require my headlights to be on when it's raining, and my future home in Canada requires that headlights be on any time the car is moving. In both these cases, night mode can be hard to read.

15. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

You can go back to day mode with the taillights on by setting the dimmer wheel all the way up into detent.