1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Nav DVD version 4.1

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by naterprius, Oct 4, 2004.

1. rflagg

rflagg Member

The real question here is - Is there anywhere at all we can find a verion update list, so we know whether it's worth updating at this time, or waiting til a later time? I mean, obviously, something that will be in all updates is corrections on roads and such - but what other changes are there, is what I'd like to know.

-m.

2. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DanMan32\";p=\"45292)</div>
    I might be off here, but I would assume that the reason the McD, BK, etc icons have the trademarked picture as a POI icon is because the big chain companies pay to have them there.

I won't be getting an update unless I decide to drive cross country or something in a few years. Even then, other than POIs, there probably won't be much that has changed. It is just plain ridiculous to charge $250.
    And, if the first number in the version is they year it was produced, my "Made in Aug" Prius has a 2003 CD version (3.3).

3. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It really is pricing like this that spawns & encourages piracy.

4. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rflagg\";p=\"45338)</div>
    As I implied in my anti-piracy post, a side-by-side comparison is in order.

A copy of the new version in the hands of someone experienced in the problems of the old one would be a first step. Finding new problems or stuff now broken in the new version would take longer.

I have no burner (yet) capable of making the copy. I'm holding out for one that does the yet-unreleased DVD-R Dual Layer...

5. rflagg

rflagg Member

Is there a plan for -R DL? I just figured Sony and the bunch were going to skip it since Blu-Ray will be here in a few years anyway.

I was under the assumption that +R DL was the only available format, and it was going to stay that way for DL, anyways. Correct me if I'm wrong though, thanks! :)

And, I'd appreciate someone doing that work of compairing the two - but it'd be much more consumer friendly if the company that produced these dvd's if they could just tell us why it's worth the exhorbant fee.

-m.

6. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Amen, way back I suggested that they ought to be able to create a 'free' version or very inexpensive version of these upgrades by using commercial sponsors and pop-ups and maybe preferential listing when the restraunts show up. Plus the identifying icons and such. $250 is just stupid. As others mentioned there is other GPS NAV software at least as good if not better than what is in the Prius available for very reasonable prices new...this should be a markedly reduced 'upgrade' price. What, maybe $30, $50 tops?

7. tag

tag Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rflagg\";p=\"45350)</div>
    I've read several reports which state Pioneer will be releasing a drive that supports -R DL (A09) around Christmas. No word on media, though.

Then, there's this thing:

At the ongoing Ceatec show in Japan one of the most interesting optical drives is probably the 5.25†PC Blu-ray burner Pioneer displays in its booth. The drive can write BD-R (write once Blu-ray Disc) and BD-RE (rewritable Blu-ray Disc) including dual layer media at 2x speed (72 Mbps). It also function as a standard DVD burner with support for 8x DVD±R, 4x DVD±RW, 2.4x DVD+R DL and 2x DVD-R DL.

[​IMG]

Source: http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/10645

8. rflagg

rflagg Member

mmmm, blu-ray. I like the logo. So, do you think Blu-ray or HD-DVD will succeed? Of course, it most likely will turn out like the +/- market, where no one specific brand wins, and the consumer has to deal with another offset of varying incompatible formats. The joys of technology! :)

-m.

9. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Most are saying definitely Blu-Ray will become the industry standard now that Sony has bought MGM and the rights to the most coveted DVD set - the Bond series.

It would be neat if someone could come out with a 3rd party DVD each year that will interact with the existing software & sell it at a reasonable price. Doubtful, but it would be neat.

10. tag

tag Senior Member

I really have nothing to add here other than to opine that none of the new formats will be going anywhere, anytime soon, until media prices drop substantially.

Currently, PC drives that support writing to +R DL can be had for less than 80 bucks. However, a DL blank costs around $9-$10 and they're just starting to be sold in quantity. OTOH, even the very best quality SL blanks are available for well under a dollar (I paid $39 for 50 Maxell DVD-R blanks a couple of months ago).

Purportedly, that Pioneer Blu-Ray burner that's scheduled to be released next year will have a list price of under $300 but I'd be willing to bet media prices will be outrageous, at least initially.

11. Driftwood05BC

Driftwood05BC New Member

I agree with Evan -- I would add that to really make this pay off for sponsors they would have to enhance the POI system a little bit to allow for *specific* franchise POI icons to be selected.

For example "Show Starbucks" would show only Starbucks POI icons on the menu. Better yet, something like the Acura TSX's ability to say "Find Nearest <POI Word>".

If I were a sponsor, I wouldn't want my icons to be swamped by the 20 other restaurants in my strip -- I'd want to be prominent and individually selectable.

With a proper sponsorship program I bet they could make a DVD subscription program with quarterly updates sent to your home...

Toyota probably isn't set up to do a program like that, but Denso could be, or someone contracted by Denso to administer a sponsor/subscription program...

Peter+
    "Find Nearest Starbucks"

12. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Just checked my Prius (will have had it 1 year a week from Today), and it's 3.1. I've been driving around AZ, and it's missing alot of freeway changes - such as the AZ-51 completion, the changes for the AZ-303 loop, etc.

However, I'm not sure I'd want to pop $250 to get those changes, just to have to pop another $250 when they finally include the streets for my new neighborhood still under development.

13. Canuck

Canuck Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Probably a story for the House of Pancakes forum.
    To set the stage : In 1991 we purchased an "Interstate Services & Directions ROAD WHIZ ULTRA" ??computer?? which we used to travel from Vancouver Island to Nova Scotia thru the US and 22 states and return. We paid about $30 US ( in 1991 dollars mind you). Except that it couldn't direct us to a specific address it did show us all the facilities along every interstate and lessor highways including essential rest stops. Last September we made a similar trip to NS and return, dug out the little hand held and, lo and behold, it still worked. Yes, a few gas stations were not there and had been replaced, a few rest stops were closed and motels renamed but the exit #'s and mile markers were still accurate. California highways were more difficult because for some reason or other there are no exit numbers which relate to mile markers ( this may have changed).
    Anyway last month we paid $1500 for a Garmin unit for our Prius which I enjoy. Up here in BC we sports fishermen always cost out our catch of salmon by how much we paid for the gear, fuel and boat and I think I have paid about $300/lb for my fish ( not a great fisher). Anyway to make a long story longer I think we are about to pay about $50/address direction found via our new Garmin. The fun of it all- PRICELESS