1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Nav Upgrade Options for III w/Factory Nav

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Tobalt, Oct 19, 2011.

1. Tobalt

Tobalt New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    So I've finally had it with Toyota's cruddy HU (horrid UI, delays in commands, etc). I've been reading the forums about possible aftermarket HU options, but from what I'm reading most, if not all, of the HU options available are for the Prii that didn't come with the factory NAV HU. My Prius is a III with factory NAV+JBL. Are there any options available for me, or am I pretty much stuck with the stock HU. Thanks much!

2. prius2010II

prius2010II Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    People buy aftermarket units as an alternative to paying $$$ for factory navigation. Read the posts and you'll find aftermarket units have their own set of "issues". Might be better then factory navigation in some areas but inferior in others.

You could call Crutchfield. You'll probably have to use a JBL amp turn on unit. Not sure what other wiring you'll have to work with. I have no idea if you can use your existing backup camera.

Units like the Ottonavi aren't "plug and play" with your factory navigation.

3. Tobalt

Tobalt New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Doh! Thanks.

4. travelette

travelette New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    When you put in an aftermarket stereo/nav, several of your factory items will stop working (bluetooth, aux port, etc.), but the new stereo will have it's own port and connections so it evens out. Backup camera should work fine once it's wired to the new stereo.

The biggest concern is the JBL speakers. In older Priuses, I was told that aftermarket stereos would kill/blow out your JBLs. That may have changed with Gen III, but I'd ask Crutchfield or the shop where you're going to get the aftermarket stereo installed.

Cheers!

5. prius2010II

prius2010II Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    A JBL amp "turn on" device such as the TATO uses the pre-amp out from your new HU. I don't see how that would blow out your JBL.

A few HU, and the Metra steering wheeladapter harness, will support the factory AUX jack.

I don't know of any aftermarket HU which supports the factory BT Mic.

I haven't the slightest idea if the factory camera is easily supported. Does the factory OEM HU have a standard video input for the camera? Do you have any definitive information?

I don't think there is a custom harness for the OEM Navigation radio. I suspect there is very little demand.