1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Navi really Bad. Plus, Map Turn List on Home Screen?

Discussion in 'Prime Audio, Electronics, and Infotainment' started by stevepea, Jul 25, 2017.

1. stevepea

stevepea Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Navi really bad.
    My experience in the first 2,000 miles is that Navi on the Prime is really bad. I'm almost at the point where I'll never use it again. On each of the trips I've used it on (most where I knew how to get there, and was just testing it out), it had me go way out of the way, or even completely wrong directions (verified address entered correctly). Even changing settings didn't make a difference (I'd usually select QUICK, but tried it on Short and Alternate as well), as well as the parameters it uses (ie, consider traffic data? Freeways ok? etc) Didn't seem to make a difference. Always routed me the wrong, or a very roundabout way. Normal driving, legal turns, no construction, heavy traffic or weird things going on.

Even just the other day, going to a business that's been around for 40 years, when the proper way was to continue through the signal, then turn left (legally) into the business' driveway -- it wanted to send me left at the signal, go 3/4ths of a mile all the way down the hill -- then come up again on the other side and come around. Huh? Again, I know all about the settings and parameters you can have it consider, but not ONE of the times I turned Navi on, did it route me the quickest -- or even normal, common sense way. Just wondering if this is anyone else's observation or not. It's bad enough where at this point, I do not trust it to get me somewhere that I don't know, and use Google maps. Out of about the 10 times I've turned it on, each time has been (or would have been if I followed it) either wrong, or completely roundabout, with no outside factors (ie, traffic, etc) to consider.

Turn list on Home Screen Navi?
    If I even use the Navi after multiple disappointments and bad experiences with it at this point, the one thing I absolutely would want to see is the "upcoming turn list" feature. I have the 7" Plus screen. There's a setting when the entire screen is showing the Navi, where it'll split the screen in half, where 1/2 is the moving map, and 1/2 is the turn list (nice). But if you set the screen to HOME, where, for instance, 1/2 the screen is AUDIO and 1/2 the screen is the moving Navi map, is there a way to have it show the turn list as well? Or substitute the turn list for the moving Navi map on the Home screen?

priuscatprimeguy likes this.
  2. priuscatprimeguy

priuscatprimeguy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yup, same results on the Prime Advanced. Was going to Spokane International Airport via Sandpoint Idaho put the address of the airport in because the web search function was just as bad. When I arrived in Spokane the Navigation had me going down side streets to the airport. We finally had to ask a pedestrian where the airport was. the pedestrian said the interstate is one block ahead, got on it and waited till we saw the interstate signs point us in the direction of the airport. all the while the navigation voice prompts kept saying recalculating.

ems2158 likes this.
  3. priuscatprimeguy

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    heck, the navigation couldn't even find Papa Johns Pizza locally where I live. It doesn't exist in the navigation system.

4. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    After 3 1/2 months and over 5,000 miles, I find the Nav to be excellent in my Advanced. It hasn't missed a turn or a destination and it always works. The problem is setting a destination, not the nav once it's set. My favorite thing is just having the map open and showing me the surroundings with traffic, with no destination set. I leave it that way all the time.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    same old carpy toyota nav, no matter how nice the car is. join the club that goes back over 13 years.:cool:

fuzzy1 and priuscatprimeguy like this.
  6. NJ-PrimeAdvanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Honda is now doing GARMIN in all their navs... I recently drove a Honda CR-V and liked the Nav. Does anyone have any opinions (pros+cons) of the Toyota built-in Nav and the Honda built-in Nav? which one you vote for?

7. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yup.

Get a Garmin.

I hope you are not selecting a 'Shortest Distance' route, instead of a fastest time or economy route. 'Shortest' will pull such slow nasty gymnastics even on a Garmin!

#7 fuzzy1, Jul 26, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
    priuscatprimeguy and bisco like this.
  8. priuscatprimeguy

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    thanks for the tip. I'll keep that in mind next time:D

9. NJ-PrimeAdvanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    No car manufacturer can get it right... hence Android Auto and Apple CarPlay... this is what the consumers want. It actually works! But hold on, what features of Entune would we be losing that Apple CarPlay doesn't have?

10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't press HOME for the duration?

Or can you use voice recognition for "turn list mode"?

11. stevepea

stevepea Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Yeah, I know I can just not press "HOME" but usually (if the Navi works properly) one has it on for the whole trip, and at the same time, I usually want to listen to audio as well, so enjoy the split Audio/Navi screen. Hadn't thought about the voice recognition though, I suppose I could try that...

12. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah it's a weird setup, eh? I think it's just because the split screen for nav is separate from the split screen capability for the other programs. The nav software dates back a decade... maybe two? My split screen is limited to the nav. Otherwise, it's fullscreen nav or audio, not both. So I guess when Toyota decided to allow a split screen for nav and audio, they forgot about the embedded split screen feature of the nav or they couldn't integrate the two.

13. NJ-PrimeAdvanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Could there be a future update that would add extra functionality (like an iOS update), or would we have to wait until the 2019 model to see any significant changes?

14. ems2158

ems2158 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yesterday, I made a 1,100 mile trip from Tampa to Philly. I've made this trip a number of times and am familiar with the best routes. I used both the Toyota navigation and Google maps on my cell phone with a magnetic vent mount. One thing I learned about the Toyota nav on the Prime Advanced is that it did a better job of identifying traffic jams on the route long before Google maps. It didn't reroute me around the traffic in these situations but neither did Google maps. I suppose rerouting would not have saved any time in these cases.

15. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Do systems like Google Maps or Garmin typically deal reasonably with left turns into your destination, rather that taking you on a tour so that you approach with your destination on the right? The system would have to know if a left turn into the destination is possible, due to divided roads or whatever.

16. Russ Bohn

Russ Bohn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Is there a feature where the Nav can auto mute the radio audio , so one can hear the instructions?

17. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No but you can adjust the volume of the navigation voice instructions. (voice guidance volume)

18. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    New to Toyota Nav on my new Prime. My 2015 Prius Two didn't have Nav. I did read some bad reviews on Toyota's implementation some time ago, but it seems they haven't fixed all the problems. Do you know if the Map data get updated automatically? Does it cost anything to get the map data updated?

In any case, I think I am keeping my GARMIN on board to be safe.

19. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    No and yes.

20. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's really bad.:( I will definitely keep my GARMIN with free life time automatic map update!