1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Navigation a waste

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Chucktr, Apr 1, 2017.

1. Chucktr

Chucktr Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    We have a 2015 with the nav option. Total waste! It's often late with directions just after "Start" and/or totally wrong leading to proverbial wild goose chases. The screen is difficult to read with poor contrast and terrible graphics. Unless major improvements have been made, stick with an iPhone/Android with Google Maps.
    The Prius is a great car! We're on our 3rd. But whoever designed and programmed the nav system is IMHO incompetent.

Markdizle and bisco like this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yep, stick with google and phone, very clear and reliable. been waiting 14 years for toyota to improve, but no sign yet.
    when people start tearing out your radio and putting in i pads, it should give you a clue.

WilDavis and Markdizle like this.
  3. Markdizle

Markdizle Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I was kind of bummed I got the base Prius 2 without navigation but I keep hearing how subpar it is! I read reviews on the new Prii and even those say to find a good phone mount and plan on using your phone for navigation.

Wonder if a head unit with CarPlay would be better than the stock navigation, since it's basically an iPhone interface?

4. Currahee

Currahee Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think with smartphones the nav package is only worth it for the backup camera.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    there are lots of threads here on aftermarket installations.

6. mrwzrd

mrwzrd Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Agreed.... as much as I like the prius I loath the nav system. First, most functions disappear when you are in motion. It is the only nav system that I have seen that does not have an override so a passenger can work it while you drive. Second, it plans some really weird routes and I'll limit this to three, although there is much more I despise, the last being the hilariously laughable cost of a map update.
    I have GPS systems in my other non-prius vehicles... all are Garmin... fantastic.
    If I am going somewhere new that requires the nav system... I will attempt to put it in the prius but have my phone also programmed and if need be (usually) I will just lay the phone over the face of the prius nav.
    A prius with a garmin nav system in it would be awesome.

Johnny Cakes and bisco like this.
  7. Johnny Cakes

Johnny Cakes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    It's also pretty bad that there is not complete voice interaction with the NAV, like saying "Gas station" or "Fast Food" for them to display on the screen. Toyota has known how to do for a decade that because my 2006 Lexus has that.

bisco likes this.
  8. bat4255

bat4255 2017 Prius v #2 and 2008 Gen II #2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Garmin or smart phone, and they update for free.

9. eliteconcept

eliteconcept 700 mile club, top tank mpg 69.5

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    navigation systems seem dated to me at this point with cell phone gps being so common place. They get you with the nav because they bundle it with other features ...

PointCounterPt likes this.
  10. jfschultz

jfschultz Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Check out the Hudway Glass with suitable apps on a smart phone. This puts the navigation information right in front and a little below your line of sight.

11. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ya got that right! I looked at the built in system. Took less than 5 seconds to realize I'd never use it. I plop my Garmin Nuvi 5 LM on the dash and it tells me where I am, what lane to use, how fast I'm going, and what's the speed limit. And it's almost directly in my line of sight. And the maps are free. I sometimes back that up with Waze or Google Maps on the phone for traffic. Pruis is amazing, but the nav system fails miserably on every metric.

WilDavis likes this.
  12. PointCounterPt

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Nav and backup camera were musts for me when I bought my 2005. Turns out that I got Nav but no camera, and I thought that was a compromise. I used Nav 2-3 times when I first got the car but it was so cumbersome that I never used it again, and even forgot that I had it.

–Until a couple of days ago when my phone died and I needed navigation. Turns out that the Nav system couldn't find the address of a house that's 25 years old. No, I haven't updated the maps, but I wasn't trying to find a home in a new development either.

I hoped that the system had improved over the years and it's sad that it apparently hasn't.

I'm looking at this Pioneer at Crutchfield. I can add a backup camera to it for $100, or buy the newer version that includes backup camera for $200 more (only difference). Hmm, let me think about it . . . .

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_1304200NEX/Pioneer-AVH-4200NEX.html

13. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Garmins mess up too. My wife & son just finished a trip from Virginia to Texas in a Prius v with 4 small dogs. The up-to-date Garmin & Google maps got confused. (Dallas, I think). Waze ended up saving the day.

WilDavis likes this.
  14. hackenfort

hackenfort Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    It seems most factory Nav systems are not that great, having a new Honda, their unit is even worse than the older unit in the Prius. Hard to thing a inexpensive Garmin blows these a way.

Had Pioneer Avic unit using Android Auto ( and tried Car Play too), both seem to be the way to go. Nice thing Google maps are fantastic, and you can download areas to save on the data usage I have a One Plus 3T cell phone I have been using Android Auto on in the Prius and it works wonderful

15. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Our 2010 Canadian Tourning does not have the Navigation Screen, but does have the back up camera: it's display is in the left corner of rear view mirror.

16. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    In the US the backup camera uses the center (centre) display screen on the dashboard.

17. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Same here, for 2010~11 models with navigation. In 2012 they all get nav; we got in just in time. :whistle:

18. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No Navigation available on the lower trim lines in the US.

19. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    They sure do. One time I had some spare time so followed mine when, for no apparent reason, it told me to exit the freeway. It took me about a quarter mile to the right, had me turn left into a shopping mall parking lot, do a u-turn, and then get back on the freeway. I just wanted to see how screwy it was. On a more serious note, I have read of people blindly following their gps and almost dying in Death Valley. Another one, followed his down a boat ramp into a lake. You do still have to occasionally take a peek outside the vehicle.

Mendel Leisk and Prodigyplace like this.
  20. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    One time our Garmin wanted us to make 3 left turns in an intersection instead of just making a right turn. :eek:

Mendel Leisk and jerrymildred like this.