1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Navigation Directions static and beeps

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by sfoxnj, Apr 1, 2023.

1. sfoxnj

sfoxnj Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm having trouble with my nav directions. They are occasionally interrupted by static with a beep followed by more static then it returns to the last word of the directions. The static and beep can be once or go on for 10+ seconds.

I can't find any other post on this subject. Help would be appreciated.

This is a problem with my 2016, not the 2007.

#1 sfoxnj, Apr 1, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2023
  2. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I’d suggest, first, unpairing any connected phone or other Bluetooth devices temporarily, just to remove a possible outside influence.

The navigation system has several modes that interrupt other output so the system can listen for voice commands or other input, and it could be that one of these is being triggered unintentionally, by a defective telephone or talk switch on the steering wheel (Owner’s Manual (PDF), pages 21, 484, and 505) or by a fault in the switch wiring.

If the car has the Safety Connect feature, it’s also conceivable that the “SOS” function is being triggered (Owner’s Manual, pages 561 and 564), or there is a fault in the DCM (telematics transceiver) or the mute signal circuit between it and the sound system.

3. sfoxnj

sfoxnj Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'll give it a try but I suspect it is more a corruption of the software or a hardware failure. I have another symptom that may not be related. The map from the microSD card doesn't load in cold weather. I just located an old card and will see if it is the car or the chip. Neither of these problems are easily reproducible. is there a way to reload/update the software?