1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Navigation: Entune update eliminated "on the left/right" for destination

Discussion in 'Prius c Audio and Electronics' started by ftl, Jul 23, 2012.

1. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I used the navigation on my C Three for the first time since the Entune update, and the voice guidance no longer says "You have reached your destination on the left/right".

This absence of the left and right announcement is a safety hazard, as you now have no idea which side of the street you need to be on.

Anyone else notice this?

2. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    No-one else using the navigation system?

3. cornflakes

cornflakes Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I paid attention to this tonight, and the side of the street is still there after the update. I think it's sooner now, it tells you which side of the street during the "prepare to arrive at your destination" message, which gives you more time to move to the proper side than before, when it would tell you which side when you actually get there, and it's usually too late by then.

4. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for checking! I'll try mine again today on a short trip to a different destination.

The reason I caught this is that my TomTom didn't have the side of the street feature, so when I got the C it was one of the few things I thought was an improvement - I had tried the nav system by selecting Home when I picked the car up from the dealer and noticed it right away. Then after the update, when I again used it to get Home the message was gone, so it wasn't just that the system doesn't always have the data.

5. onlineid615

onlineid615 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Mine doesn't at all :-( I wonder why they removed it....maybe it will be back with the next update.

6. Jennifer Shannon

Jennifer Shannon Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I thought it was just me.... I hate the update, I no longer have that option either :(

7. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    And I checked mine again today on two destinations - no L/R messages.

I had emailed Entune support last week and got a mostly useless response. From the responses in this thread, the sentence I've bolded below is obviously wrong - surely corporate could at least do a simple test on the two versions of Entune and confirm (or not) that it's a general problem, rather than just sending me off to the dealer.

Thank you for contacting Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc.

We are sorry to hear that you are experiencing difficulties with the navigation voice guidance on your Prius C.

The update that you received to your Entune and navigation voice recognition systems is not related to the voice guidance provided through your navigation system. While the update will make a substantial difference in the vehicle's ability to recognize and accurately follow voice commands, it will have no bearing on the voice commands provided to you through the navigation unit.

There are conditions that can impact the voice guidance. For example, page 45 in your Universal Display Audio System Owner's Manual states that there are times when the system cannot determine the exact current position of the vehicle. For example, in cases of poor GPS signal reception, should this occur the voice guidance may be early or delayed. This would also impact the system's ability to provide an exact location for your destination in relation to your vehicle's position. However, this is situational and is not likely to occur every time your navigation unit is operated.

If the voice guidance on your navigation fails to provide final destination guidance at any location we would recommend taking your vehicle to your dealer to have the concern inspected. Toyota dealership technicians are provided with extensive training and have access to state of the art equipment to help in the accurate diagnosis of your navigation concern. However, the vehicle will need to be physically inspected and the problem replicated before it is possible to begin the diagnostic process.

8. parnami

parnami Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I checked mine Saturday and it provided info stating I had reached my destination, "on the left". Mine's a v....but I'd assume the nav system software is the same.

9. onlineid615

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Update - I get the message if I use POI, but not if I enter an address.....weird.

10. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for the follow-up - I'll try mine with a POI next time I go somewhere.

11. Jennifer Shannon

Jennifer Shannon Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I wish I never did the update. There was no benefit to it for me and now its frustrating that it doesnt give me the exacf location. Im in real estate and need that option when clients are following behind me. I may take it to the service dept and see what they say.

12. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I just tried navigating to a POI, and as onlineid615 noted above, the nav system correctly announces left/right.

I then chose a destination by selecting a point on the map and saving this location, and this worked the same as a POI.

Finally, I found my own street on the map, moved the location until it showed my exact home address, and saved this as a destination. If I navigate to this destination, I get the L/R announcement. If I navigate to exactly the same address by entering the address, I get no L/R.

I'll follow up with Toyota support and see if I get any better answer than I did in Post #7 above.

13. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
  14. onlineid615

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Good idea! Done!!

15. BooShine

BooShine Wishful Thinker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Double verified- works with POI, not with manual address input. Do you remember if this was the case before the Entune Update? I cant be certain if it worked for both- though I remember hearing "on the left" a LOT.

I did a HUGE road trip in my new C, before the Entune update. I lived off the nav for about 2 weeks- heard lots of "you have arrived at your destination on the left/right" commands. About 50% of the time, it was incorrect and the destination was on the other side of the road. These weren't new places either - gas stations, restaurants, hotels, campsites etc. I'd rather have Toyota remove the feature and force me to figure it out myself than have a faulty feature leading to false information.

16. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for the confirmation. I hadn't tried a POI before the update, but from what you say this hasn't changed.

I've used TomTom systems for years, and they never had the L/R guidance, so I was kind of enjoying it in the C. I reported this issue to Toyota (for the second time, with more detail) on Monday, but no response yet. I hope they don't just blow me off again.

17. onlineid615

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I received a call from Toyota in response to the form I submitted on this issue. They are testing it and said they will keep me posted with any progress made. I have already had one over the phone upgrade to entune so maybe this will be fixed soon! Fingers crossed.

18. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Toyota emailed me on August 17th:

"We have notified the appropriate departments to further research your concerns and will follow up with you once we receive a response."

Nothing since then.

I had some further annoyances on my recent road trip. Navigating from Rochester NY to Long Island, I selected "Home" as my destination, then added a few detours to stay off roads I don't like. Shortly after that I stopped for gas, and when I started the car again all my detours were gone.

I put them back in, but a few hours later after I stopped at a rest area then re-started the car, I got the message that for my home address: "Destination is not navigable". I had to re-enter the destination to get it to work.

19. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What a joke. I am sure glad I use Waze on my phone. The 7.1 system came along with the solar roof as a package so I got what they were dishing out. The audio is fine but hearing that about the NAV, I wont bother trying it out :(

Mike