1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Navigation (getting a DVD update)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by mark_amdg, Nov 5, 2005.

1. dhancock

dhancock 2 Prius Family

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Hi neighbor.

Yes, you can get an update for the 2007. I did the update last fall.

I am NOT a fan on how the Toyota Nav wants to route you. It has too strong a tendency towards staying on Interstates & minimizing turns. We frequently travel to the Washington DC area (Olney, MD) and, by default it wants to have us take the thruway to Syracuse and then go south on I81! The best route is to take I 390 & US 15, but the Toyota NAV doesn't want to go that way. We typically use a couple of route force points (stop at Wegmans in Williamsport for lunch) to get a more realistic route. Getting the latest update didn't change this behavior.

In planning a long trip, I typically get the routing from AAA and then check out what the Toyota NAV wants to do. I often add these artificial "force" points to make the route do what I want it to do.

Another point: differences in ETA between the Toyota & Google may be also due to the average speeds used in the calculations. The odds are that the speeds used by Google and the Toyota NAV are different. So even if the routes are the same, the times will be different. You can set your average MPH for city, highway, and Interstate in the Toyota NAV (that also might make a difference in the route chosen).

Finally, yes there is a setting for DST (and also time zone, if you travel west).

2. paco-shalom

paco-shalom Veteran Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd like to add a few points that might help address some of the prior questions:

DVD versions:
    There has been a new version (current version is 10.1) released each year, generally around September. These versions are available for each generation of vehicle navigation hardware. So, my '05 Prius can be upgraded to v10.1 using the Gen4 DVD. My '06 Lexus RX 400h is also a Gen4, so I can use the same disk in both vehicles.

DVD location:
    In the 2004-2009 Prius, the Navigation DVD player is under the driver's seat and can be accessed from the back seat only when the driver's seat is moved forward.

In the 2006 RX400h, the DVD player is located in the back near the spare tire, under the cargo floor.

Where to buy:
    The Toyota or Lexus dealer near you will have the update DVDs for the correct model. Toyota will likely charge less than Lexus.

You can probably find it for less on eBay or elsewhere online, but be careful that you know which version that you are receiving and whether it is a legitimate OEM disk or a copy.

For those of you who are willing to take your chances with the law, you can probably locate the iso image of the DVD to download using Torrent software. Since it is a 7GB+ file, this takes time and requires a dual-layer DVD disk to burn. You probably won't find the most recent released version.

3. UGC

UGC Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
  4. FreydNot

FreydNot Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm working on a theory that the Prius gen4 drives will read a copied disk, but the Prius gen5 drives will not. If anyone has a friend who as successfully used a copied disk of any version in a Prius gen5 navigation system, I would like to hear about it.

5. TheNewGuy8

TheNewGuy8 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've read lots of threads about these nav updates downloaded via torrent or copied - not a single person had a success story.

Something about the difference between burning or stamping the image onto the disc, and these drives only read factory-stamped discs, not burned discs.

6. oldualer

oldualer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I have an '08 with package 6. It needs updating but I agree $300 is just too much. My Nissan Armada update is $100 which I think is ample.

7. dhancock

dhancock 2 Prius Family

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I don't know about $300. I purchased one from Metro Toyota in Cleveland last fall for $205. Installed it myself in 5 min or less.

8. kmeerbott

kmeerbott New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I'm new to the forum and I want to make sure I follow the proper etiquette. I have a 2005 Prius. I've never updated the navigation system. From what I see here it's not that difficult to do. I just wanted to know which dvd I should buy and what I should expect to pay. Any assistance would be great. Thanks.

9. healthizez

healthizez Junior Member

I just bought the latest upgrade (11.1) that came out Nov 2011 for $169. I have an 06 Prius and this is the first upgrade I've done. I haven't had a lot of problems with finding locations so waited until the price came down. The dealer showed me a chart that indicated how much the system upgraded for each year after 06. I also looked at the coverage area for the Northwest and then checked the difference in coverage with the new disc...it just about doubled the area covered.
    I had a lot of problems figuring out how to put the blasted dvd in so for others who have a Gen II: The navigation disc unit is found beneath the driver's seat. Access it by moving the seat all the way forward so you can access the front from the rear passenger floorboard. Take the plastic protection cover off (two plastic clips). Now there's a button on the left side of the unit that says "push". You have to push in and then to the right and the old disc comes our automatically. Insert the new disc and replace the housing. Now check that it works properly by checking the "map dvd" in the "Menu" portion of the navigation console...you can see "covered area" there as well.

10. cielitodavid

cielitodavid New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The DVD player is located under the driver's seat, and is accessed from behind the seat. You can pop out the old DVD and replace it yourself.

There is a lot of speculation here as to whether Prius Nav DVDs update the firmware of the system. YES. Newer DVD's update the firmware to remove a feature that used to let you bypass the restriction on using the system while driving. Only newer firmware is burned, so this feature cannot be recovered. No new features are added by the new firmware.

I ordered a replacement DVD on ebay that turned out to be pirated. It had a sticker label, which eventually caused a malfunction. Do not put a DVD with a paper label in your nav DVD drive.

11. clifford

clifford Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I have been following the threads, maybe only a fraction as there are probably millions here, on the install of the nav. dvd on a 2006 Prius. The install of the disc sounds staight forward although some of the posts said drivers side seat and some said passenger side seat. I am sure it must be the drivers side as most post concurred.
    Before I head into install (dealer called and the 169. dvd is now in) I would like be sure on the software component. Seems this install should not affect my information?
    Thanks for your help.

12. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I upgraded my 2010 and all of my preset information was still there. The only thing that I had to reset was my region since it came default for Region 1.

I would guess that your 2006 would be similar.

1 person likes this.
  13. lumpy95

lumpy95 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I just upgraded my 2008 with ver. 11.1 and all presets were still there.
    When I first opened up the map it showed my home flag on the map and my location so I am wondering about your statement about setting the region. In another post someone mentioned having to set the region also. I didn't see anywhere to set the region.
    How do you get there and how do you set it if it isn't correct?:confused:

14. CasperPrius

CasperPrius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    What do I look for on the DVD's to figure out whether it is compatible with my 09 Prius? I'm a new owner and trying to figure things out. I believe the gps is a generation 5. I found some 9.1's on eBay for $40. Somehow mine ended up with a 5.1 DVD in it.

15. TEDSMITH992

TEDSMITH992 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I would be interested in finding out if this works as well!

16. TEDSMITH992

TEDSMITH992 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Has anyone gotten the on-screen message that their DVD was dirty and could not be read? If so, did you do anything special to clean it, or just use a spray cleaner and soft cloth?