1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Navigation HELP! Input Coordinates

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by lion46, May 30, 2008.

1. lion46

lion46 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Has anyone had success in putting in coordinates to find a location? I looked up a place on Google Earth, got the coordinates and tried to input them on the Prius. Would not work. Format seems to be wrong. I can't put the complete coordinates in. It worked fine on my Nuvi 260W. Anyone know how to do it? Thanks

2. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    A position on earth is usually expressed in degrees, minutes, and seconds of arc east or west of the prime meridian and north or south of the equator. Sometimes the minutes and seconds are converted to decimal degrees. Sometimes N and S, and E and W, is expressed as - and +. Maybe Google Earth can do the conversion for you.

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Punch it in as a destination. All you have to do is push the Destination button on the side of the MFD, pick the type of entry you want to make (in this case Lat/Lon), and enter the coordinates. Don't forget that many MFD screens have more than one page.

Tom

4. lion46

lion46 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Tried that. Like I said, it didn't take the coordinates in the form I got from Google. I'll take Bill's advice and look for a conversion. BTW, Garmins are much better!

5. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    In Google Earth you can choose how coördinates are expressed in the preferences. If you then view the grid it will overlay coördinates on the surface view.

6. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    There's no major conversion needed here.
    The Prius nav requires co-ordinates be inputted in the
    deg* min' sec'' format.

Google Earth usually defaults to deg* min' sec'' also, but the seconds are displayed with .00 , or 1/10ths.

Drop the 1/10ths, or round up/down.

For example
    N38* 22' 48.27'' would be N38* 22' 48'' in the Prius.

Does that make sense?

Some co-ordinates you will see are simply listed in 10ths of min. (not using seconds at all.) You just need to convert the 10th of min to a second.
    Every 10th of min = 6 seconds Example:

N38* 22.50' would be N38* 22' 30'' Because .50' is 30''
    (1/2 min = 30sec.)

If this doesn't make sense, What are the co-ordinates you need to input, and I'll give you the conversion.

7. lion46

lion46 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks. The original coordinates I got were not from Google. They were from a web site in a different format. When I found the place on Google it was in Toyota's format. I'm going to check Bill's advice in the preferences in case I ever get that format again. Thanks to all for your input!

BTW, the Garmin is still better and if the Prius hadn't come with nav, I would not have wanted it. It has its advantages (screen, voice commands, etc.), but not when it comes to street names and accuracy, and that is what matters to me.

8. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    No doubt the factory Nav is a huge disappointment, but that's another subject.

What you probably ran into was what Hikers and Geocachers use, a different type of co-ordinate system called
    UTM (Universal Transverse Mercator) system. Based on the NAD27 datem. These type co-ordinates must be converted via a computer program, or handheld GPS unit. What a pain, but necessary using the Prius Nav to navigate to hiking or caching spots.
    Playing around with all this is quite fun, when you get the hang of it.
    The co-ordinates would look like Easting 0766670 Northing3727921.
    Google 'UTM converter' and download a simple program that will convert these to deg*min'sec'' format for you.

Google earth can convert these too, the setting is under tools-options-show lat/long.

9. Tom Wade

Tom Wade New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My Prius and Satnav is just over a year now. I still find it painful that the Satnav won't accept longitude/latitude coordinates in decimal degrees (e.g. 53.12345,-6.12345) but rather insists on Babylonian format minutes/seconds (e.g. N53 13' 26" W6 13'26"). All my previous Garmins/Tomtoms allowed you to specify the preferred format.

Has this been enhanced in any recent versions ? I did try to send a query to the online assistance address, but they seem to answer all queries with a 'contact your local sales/service office'.

10. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Some of the people in this 11 yo thread haven't been on PC in a while. Maybe ask your question in the Gen 4 Forums.

Skibob and srellim234 like this.
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i've never heard of anyone using coordinates to navigate, is that a military thing?

12. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Yes, at least in the latest Prius cars sold in Europe, for which the Navigation and Multimedia System Owner’s Manual (PDF) describes, on page 80, an option to switch between DMS and decimal formats.

That manual describes a system with different front panel buttons and a different user interface style than previous versions, however, so it may be more more than just a software update to get the new features. Assuming it’s compatible with older cars, the head unit might have to be exchanged, probably at great cost.
    Land navigation with latitude and longitude—expressed directly or encoded in a coordinate system such as UTM or MGRS—is used not only by the military, but by anyone who needs to go or refer to places that do not have known or recognized street addresses.

In the U.S., it’s only been in the last few decades that communities have tried to assign a street address to every inhabited building in rural areas, often as part of Enhanced 9-1-1 implementation. Otherwise, unless the destination is in the points of interest file, the only alternative is to put in its coordinates.

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how do you do that on a toyota?

14. Elektroingenieur

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    For your car, see pages 40 and 41 of the navigation manual (PDF): Enter Destination > Advanced > Enter Geo-coordinates.

bisco likes this.
  15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Elektroingenieur likes this.
  16. Elektroingenieur

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    No: he already knows how to enter coordinates, but the system won’t accept them in his preferred format.

bisco likes this.