1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Navigation Questions!

Discussion in 'Prime Audio, Electronics, and Infotainment' started by geguia, Dec 26, 2016.

1. geguia

geguia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    How do i get Night Mode enabled? The screen is still "bright" at night - i prefer what google maps does with dark mode.

Also i enabled text messages in the nav but i dont see them showing up yet.

I have the Prime Premium.

Thanks,

2. Pizza Driver

Pizza Driver Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Question 1) hit the dimming switch for the console display. The switch is located below and to the left of the steering wheel. I believe that by default the switch comes from the factory in its brightest mode, but once you hit it to dim it it will start darkening automatically at night. At least that is what it did for me. You may still want to get the sensitivity adjusted by your dealer. Mine is dimming too early, while there is still ample ambient light.

Question 2) not sure about this one. When I have gotten txt msgs the car will not let me read them while driving, but it will voice the text. The text to spoken output is actually quite good. (I assume your phone is hooked up to the car via bluetooth.)

3. CaliforniaPrius

CaliforniaPrius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    When I turn on the light the screen automatically switches to night mode. In the settings manual I could set the brightness level too.

4. geguia

geguia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    so the screen doesnt change to a blackish navigation screen? i thought this was standard practice in the industry [​IMG]

5. geguia

geguia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    cool - that's definitely not working for me yet

6. Sharon Westfall

Sharon Westfall New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    When you tap elsewhere on the map, you get a cross-hair icon. How do I get rid of that and recenter on the location of my car? Google maps has a "Re-center" button for this.

7. Pizza Driver

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Hit the Home button on the left side of the display. The cross hairs can show the distance from your location to the point in the cross hairs. Looks on the upper right side of the display for this information.

8. kevin54

kevin54 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Actually the Home button is on the the right side of the 11.6" display.

9. top40

top40 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Assuming you have an iphone, for text messaging to work you have to turn on the "Show Notifications" option in your Prius Bluetooth setting on your phone. Here's some steps:

1) On your iphone, select Settings
    2) Within Settings, select Bluetooth
    3) Within Bluetooth, select the "i" icon next to your Toyota Prius connection (see image 1)
    4) Within Toyota Prius, turn Show Notifications "ON." (see image 2)

If this doesn't help, then you need to go to the main menu in your car. The one that brings up the four bubbles. One of the options should read Phone or Phone Settings. Within the phone menu there should be an envelope icon. Select that icon and the car will ask if you want to turn on the messaging service.

Hope this helps.

Attached Files:

• P1.png
      P1.png
      File size:
      73.8 KB
      Views:
    • P2.png
      P2.png
      File size:
      43.8 KB
      Views:
    mercat68 and geguia like this.
  10. Pizza Driver

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Err, oops. Read all rights as left, and all lefts as right. :oops:

11. phase315

phase315 New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Like some of you, I have yet to find this night mode. How do we trigger night mode? I have my lights set on auto all the time.

Also I know the manual mentions that night mode brightness can be adjusted but when I'm in the display settings I only see day mode toggle on and off

12. Sharon Westfall

Sharon Westfall New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Yes, pressing the "Home" button to the right of the display did the trick. I didn't think to try that. I thought it would be on the display, itself.

13. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Do the instructions on page 48 and 49 of the Navigation Manual and page 186 of the Owners Manual not work?

14. geguia

geguia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    No need to be a jerk about it. Does your nav screen look like this? grey instead of light colors for dark mode?

[​IMG]

15. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I wasn't - I was just asking.

16. phase315

phase315 New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Nope not if you dont read manuals...like a typical male. But I found it. Thanks

17. Captmiddy

Captmiddy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Sit in the car at night, on the left panel to the left of the steering wheel is a button with a light looking icon in the center. Press the down side of this button. Once you do this you will see the screen turn to night mode. Night mode is dark like the picture someone posted above. You will also see the light on the Prius come on in the top of the screen. Unfortunately I can't force it to night mode so I will try to take a picture when I am in the car at night again. Just for informational purposes on page 20 of the owners manual icon 1 is the picture. It says look at page 182 for information on what this button does. What they fail to mention in the documentation is that when set to its highest level, the navigation screen will never dim at night automatically. Click it down just once and you will see the screen auto dim.

Pizza Driver likes this.
  18. geguia

geguia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    hah sorry Lee Jay! Thought you were being sarcastic.

Thanks Captmiddy for figuring that out.

#18 geguia, Dec 30, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
  19. geguia

geguia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    so pretty cool but im surprised it's not automatic

20. Captmiddy

Captmiddy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Sorry not sure what you mean by not automatic. Every evening when my lights turn on, my display turns dark and the headlights on the cartoon car at the top of the screen turns on its headlights. This is without me doing anything. My lights are set to auto. In the morning when I get in the car (okay maybe not morning because it isn't very light in the morning these days but you get the point), the lights are off and the display is on light mode. I don't touch any buttons for this. The only exception is if you happen to have the dash lights setting to 100% then it will never automatically shift.

This is a feature in many cars. My truck has the exact same feature and is from Honda. If I push the dash lights to full up, the navigation will not dim and neither will the interior lights. Technically speaking, one down from full up is also full up. Think of it sort of 100% and 100% locked. 100% will allow auto dimming and screen to change to dark mode, 100% locked will not, it holds the display on day mode. This is done for those situations when the car thinks that it is dark but it really isn't and the dark display won't work for you. I have had a vehicle think it was dark because I had a canoe on the roof of the car that may have blocked the light sensor in the dash, sit it is handy having an override, but it is also useful if the override is documented somewhere :D.

joelp likes this.