1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Navigation System and Voice Commands

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by veggieliving, May 9, 2012.

1. veggieliving

veggieliving New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was one of those people who pre-ordered a 2004 Prius and waited 6 months for it when they first came out. I have absolutely dearly loved it ever since (all 170,000 miles). Then, last Friday night, someone pulled out in front of me and totaled it (and didn't do my neck any good either). I only have till Monday to return my rental car per my insurance company so I'm having to cram to figure out what I should do now in terms of getting a new car (Prius and Volt are the only options). I was trying to keep my car long enough to wait for the next generation plug-in (with hopefully better range), but best laid plans...

So now I'm trying to find another model I can love for a decade. My most loved feature in my old Prius was the navigation system. I could set up five different places to go and during the trip enter the override and modify the order of the destinations (which is great when you're going to an area like Dallas/Ft. Worth and don't know all the towns that make up the metropolitan area -- like is it better to go Richardson, then Mesquite, then Arlington).

I think I've come to understand that Toyota has completely screwed up my favorite feature on the new models and I can no longer use the override feature to change my destination mid-trip. However, I was beginning to get a glimmer of hope that the new Entune system would possibly make up for it with the availability of voice recognition.

So, my questions are:

It is true there's absolutely no way to override the navigation to re-order or add or delete destinations once you're on the road (even with a passenger)?

If not, then is Entune the answer in that the voice recognition will allow it?

If Entune is not currently capable of that, is it something that's designed to be upgraded over time so we're not stuck with 2012 features only so that someday it might be possible?

If Entune is the answer, then is it only the HDD version that does or will someday provide that option? (This would mean a Prius 4 or 5 only, I believe.)

Finally, if Entune is not the answer for me, now or in the future, are there other options that I can look at? Aftermarket?

Sorry if any of this is old news. I've been reading but haven't found what I was looking for and am going to run out of time quickly. Thanks so much for any help!

Amy

2. smurs

smurs Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Well, I see no one has jumped on this question -- probably because these are the kinds of things we are all struggling with. I can't answer any of your questions, other than to say that I believe you do NOT have to have the HDD version to have all the navigation voice commands. The problem is, there are only 33 voice commands listed on my system, spread across all the apps (radio, maps, etc.) and I can't find ANY documentation of any others out there, though I feel there MUST be more commands (like "cancel guidance" or something to that effect). Very frustrating.

1 person likes this.
  3. Matt M.

Matt M. Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have the same complaint about limited voice commands (which I have posted before). I have the "premium HDD nav" (7" screen) in a 2012 Prius Four, and the voice commands are incredibly limited/lame. For a car that claims to be so high tech, I couldn't believe it at first either. If anyone comes up with a secret list of other available voice commands, please let us all know, but I have a feeling it really is as limited as it seems from the list in the manual (which also shows on the display).

4. jabecker

jabecker driver of Prii since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    That's my biggest complaint. The nav voice command in my 2005 Prius was way better. Those "missing" commands like "pause guidance," "cancel guidance," and "resume guidance" were there. Plus, if you asked it to locate a POI type, it actually put the icons on the map instead of giving you a list to try to read while you're driving down the road!

Don't get me started.

5. smurs

smurs Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Seriously, there HAS to be a voice command for "cancel guidance" Anyone? I have tried every freaking permutation I could think of "cancel guidance", "stop guidance", "cancel/stop navigation", "clear route" all with my nice, calm voice (which was a struggle, let me tell ya!) :mad:

eosmomma likes this.
  6. SamelCamel

SamelCamel New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'll check this when I get out to the car after work. I thought you could just say "destination" and then say "cancel?"

Try that. I'll get back to you.

-Sam

7. SamelCamel

SamelCamel New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yeah, I got nothing. You have to use the screen. There is no audio command to cancel a route.

Sorry.

-Sam

8. jabecker

jabecker driver of Prii since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    One would think so. But there's not. The only way to do it is by touching the screen several times.

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's pretty ridiculous.

Even in my 2010, there isn't much documentation on the available voice commands. They expect you to scroll through "Command List" and copy everything out. Even then, I got more information from PC and printed out a PDF that you guys got (which I didn't). on voice commands.

10. eosmomma

eosmomma New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    *** Where and how do you touch ti to cancel the destination? I just got my used 2010 Prius IV last week, and that is the one thing I cannot seem to figure out. How do I get it to "cancel destination?"
    Thanks!! ***