1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Navigation System Help Prius v (lowercase v)...please

Discussion in 'Prius v Audio and Electronics' started by Mike1206, Nov 23, 2016.

1. Mike1206

Mike1206 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I replacing the stock 5700 radio with a stock 57011 navigation radio out of a wrecked v (lowercase v for the Prius v wagon, not an uppercase. Only 2010 Prius used uppercase Roman numerals for model designations). Everything works great except the navigation system won't recognize my current location and thinks it is in Richmond Virginia. Clicking on the location and GPS button is says Richmond VA, but I'm in Delaware. Is there any person with knowledge of what might be wrong. All the plugs in the back of the radio matched and plugged into their proper connections. Any advice or help would be much appreciated. Thanks for reading this.

2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Could it be that the satellite antenna is swapped for the gps antenna on the unit?

3. gromittoo

gromittoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I am assuming that Mike1206 meant that he tried replacing the original 57010 AV unit, with a 57011 unit, hoping to add XM and GPS. Mike: have you resolved this issue?

Anyway, I recently bought a lightly used 2013 Prius v trim level 2. Coincidentally, I purchased it in Newark Delaware, but I live in Philadelphia. I love the car, but I want to do the same upgrade. Before I spend money on a used 57011, I want to make sure it can work.

Some thoughts:
    1) If you have trim level 2, the cables might exist for the GPS to plug into the back of the 57011 unit, but no GPS antenna is connected to the wire harness. I have no idea where the GPS antenna is located.

2) Could the GPS feature require the dealer to perform a costly "magic spell" to tell the computer to enable the GPS? If you already did this, could the dealer have used the wrong "magic spell"?

Does anyone know if the trim level 5 Prius v use the 57012 unit (DVD playback)? I see a lot of Camry 57012 units on eBay (and some 57011s), that have a different front panel, but very similar part numbers. Is it possible to buy a 57011 or 57012 from a Camry, and "Frankenstein" the Camry unit with with the Prius v 57010, and get a working unit? I don't care if the 'Apps' button is mislabeled.

4. Alan Stubblefield

Alan Stubblefield New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I didn't have a problem with dealer, and yes, I use 57012 unit (DVD playback)

5. gromittoo

gromittoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I assume Alan meant he bought a used Prius v 57012 unit, and swapped with the original 57010 himself. Then he took it to a dealer, and they did the rest. I am curious how much did the dealer charge charge?

6. gromittoo

gromittoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two

I am having the same issue as you had, except my Map is stuck in Las Vegas Nevada (2500 miles from Philly). Mike: did you solve your problem, or give up?

I purchased a used 2013 Prius V level 2 in March 2017 that comes with the 57010 radio without the Apps button. In December of 2017, I bought a 57011 unit, and installed it in my Prius. I wound up buying a "generic" GPS antenna with a similar plug (the toyota part is $240). There are two jacks on the back of the unit: Presumably one is for GPS and the other for Satellite radio. The plug from the universal GPS antenna only fit in one of the two jacks. The jack that fit was near the top of the main box, towards the right side when viewed from the back. The jack that was too small to accept the Universal GPS antenna plug was found at the bottom left as you look at the back of the unit (part of the "Extension Box").

My problem could be:
    1) The universal GPS antenna is not compatible.
    2) I need to perform surgery on the plug, to make it fit in the jack on the extension box.

I'd like to know which jack is for the GPS, before I start hacking away at the plug.

7. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    On my '12 Scion iQ I installed the Harman add on with navigation. The first time I tried it my location was in Northern California. The second time it adjusted the location. Can take a while to update location. (The Scion antenna was around $70 if I recall correctly).

8. gromittoo

gromittoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I forgot to update this thread. I performed surgery on the plug, to make it fit in the jack on the extension box. The GPS updated to the correct location (Philly) once I moved about 10 feet in the driveway.

I also had to move the USB port from the main bo

9. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
  10. gromittoo

gromittoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    This is the Antenna I bought for $13.99 on eBay:

A4A GPS Antenna For Toyota Camry RAV4 Corolla Nissan Rogue Honda Civic Accord | eBay

upload_2018-2-7_6-52-57.png

I had to shave off the two ridges on the top of the connector to get it to fit. The antenna itself has a strong magnet on the back. I put the antenna on the top side of the dashboard. It works fine.

Toyota changed the type of connector at some point (2015?), so this won't work on newer Toyotas.

Attached Files: