1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Navigation system tips & tricks

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by delrey, May 25, 2005.

1. jrfaris

jrfaris Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Have you tried going into route and deleting all the existing destinations? I have not used the emergency function so don't know how it interacts with any existing route. Sounds like it should override the next destination. If so, and you don't complete the trip to the emergency location, I assume that would always be the first destination for future routings. Manually deleting all destinations should give you a fresh start.

I agree with Bruce that the preferred road capability is really useful. I often use this option to force using a specific bridge when I'm going across the bay.

2. cc_prius

cc_prius New Member

One tip I received from a friend who drives a Lexus is that you can change the map orientation mode between:
    1) Top of map is always North
    2) Top of map is the direction you are headed

By default the map is in mode 1. To switch, hit the N icon in the upper left corner of the screen. Once in that mode, you can switch back by pressing the compass icon that is now in the upper left corner.

Mode 2 is much better IMO. Thought I would share in case others missed this neat feature.

3. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Related to that - note that the compass "icon" is actually a functioning compass.

Another useful fact - changes to zoom and orientation made when the map isn't centred on the car are only temporary. When you press MAP again to re-centre, it restores the old zoom and orientation.

4. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

The NAV will resume your route guidance to your next destination when you restart your car.

5. victor

victor New Member

Gilching Bavaria Germany, & Drapanos, Crete, G
    You can set a home position in memory and the command "home" from the voice commands will make a route home.

You can set 5 quick destinations in memory (Voice comand quick 1, quick2 etc)

Memory points can be given custom icons and can be made to play a chime as you approach from any or from a specific direction.

Found your way to somewhere and want it on the map, press mark. You can then edit the mark in memory and give it a propername, chime icon etc. there are about 100 memory points.

There are 2 phone books on board which can store about 100 number each. Use one for private and one for business use.

Pair upto 4 phones (his & hers) and switch between them as required. Each phone has 2 address books.

Multiple drivers? there are 3 (4?) profiles available. Each driver can have personalised settings. Languages are also stored.

Put the anniversary & wifes birthday in the calander and save your relationship!

Use split screen with different scale to get an overview of a town trip with all the streets shown. Keep the local side zoomed fully in and the overview at a zoom out 800m or so. zoom side will show poi, zoom out side wont. (Direction up is best here)

Problems with voice recognition? go into the diagnostics screen (hold info and turn lights on and off about 3 times), press menu, press navigation check, press microphone check,press start and speak the test text . Now pressthe button in lower right to hear yourself speak. repeat for each of the 3 texts. If recognition does not work, is the volume too low? Can you hear yourself clearly? If not goto BT Voice Quality Set and adjust the send volume. retest.

6. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

The problem with the calendar reminder (and the maintenance reminder for that matter) is that the NAV has to have been activated for that trip. Otherwise you don't get the notification.

Might be a neat added feature to Dave's I Agree killer: when powering up the car, determine current display state, go to MAP, kill 'I Agree', then fall back to original display.

7. PilotChris

PilotChris New Member

Frequently, when driving a route with multiple waypoints, I'll drive to within 50 feet of an intermediate destination, park, and then continue off to the next destination.

The problem? The nav system doesn't think I made it to the first destination yet and wants to direct me there! Short of editing the route and deleting the intermediate destination, has anybody figured out how to tell the nav system to move on to the next destination in the list?

Chris

8. delrey

delrey Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PilotChris\";p=\"96760)</div>
    Nope, sorry, I don't have any ideas there ... but you do know that you can delete a destination while the car is in motion, right?

9. delrey

delrey Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I remembered another NAV function that I didn't know about for quite a while. It's sometimes useful to know the turn by turn list of the route you're going to follow. (While driving you can choose the display mode that shows the next 3 or so upcoming turns on the RH side while viewing the map under route guidance.)

But what I noticed one day is that from the map screen (once a route has been chosen) you can preview the entire route turn by turn list. Choose "Map View", then "Route Overview". On that screen at the top you'll see a "Turn List" button. This will display the route and let you scroll through the directions. Not something I need much, but occasionaly very handy!

10. delrey

delrey Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Another bit of NAV trivia - I am going to be on vacation & was thinking about whether to take a road trip or to fly back east. So I put in a hypothetical trip to figure out how long it would take, depending on which stops I made. (San Fracisco to Boston - via Texas, Lousiana, Tennessee, DC).

I'm a little slow on the uptake but eventually realized that the time to Boston is more than the displayed "99 hrs 59 mins". So don't plan any trips > 100 hours & expect the time to final destination to be right - but other than that it was a cool way to play with trip options!