1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Navigation Unit change from US to EU

Discussion in 'Prime Technical Discussion' started by alinica2001, Sep 4, 2019.

1. alinica2001

alinica2001 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Hello,

I have a Prius Prime Advanced and I would like to change maps from US to EU maps.
    I've asked a dealer here in Europe and they told me that they cannot do it.
    Is there an option in US to change the 11 inch navigation unit from US maps to EU maps ?
    Do I need to buy only a MicroSD with maps for Europe or I also need to change region field inside Navigation unit from US to EU ? Is it possible to change this field with techstream ?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'm guessing it can't be done, but i'm not positive

3. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I agree with @bisco: I doubt there is such an option, since the cars built for sale in the U.S. and Europe use different navigation hardware.

According to Toyota’s Electronic Parts Catalog, the 2017 Prius Prime Advanced was sold in the U.S. with a Navigation Receiver Assembly having an 11-inch display, supplied by DENSO, ID E7051 (86804-47421) or E7052 (86806-47431). As far as I know, no maps of Europe have been produced for use with this hardware.

In Europe, the Prius Plug-in Hybrid comes with a different Navigation Receiver Assembly having a smaller, 8-inch display, supplied by another company, FUJITSU TEN (now DENSO TEN). It also uses a Navigation ECU, in a separate box underneath the display, which doesn’t exist on on U.S. models.

I think your best option would be to use a third-party navigation system with the desired map coverage. In principle, you could buy the European versions of the Navigation Receiver Assembly, Navigation ECU, wire harnesses, and trim panels, but the cost may be substantial unless you can find secondhand ones.
    There isn’t such an option listed in the Repair Manual (more info) among the “Customize Parameters” that can be changed using a Techstream system, and I’d be very surprised if it existed.

alinica2001 likes this.
  4. alinica2001

alinica2001 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Thank you very much for your clear answer!

Elektroingenieur likes this.
  5. GasperG

GasperG Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Are there any other drawbacks in driving US spec Prime in EU? Charging is OK?

I ask because I noticed that cheapest Prius plug-ins on EU used car market are actually US spec Primes.

6. alinica2001

alinica2001 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Everything is ok. The only "drawbacks" are missing all Entune apps and navigation. Also the temperature is measured in Fahrenheit not in Celsius.
    Everything else is working fine.All chargers here are at least L2 :)

7. GasperG

GasperG Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have seen some german Ads and on the pictures it seems that there are european maps and also temperature in Celsius. Example1, Example2

Maybe you can ask some of those dealers how they did it?

alinica2001 likes this.
  8. alinica2001

alinica2001 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    For me it was a surprise ...

This is what I've got from Toyota US :
    "
    Thank you for contacting Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc.
    While we respect our vehicle owners, the navigation system is not intended nor designed to be used outside of the the continental United States. Regrettably, we are not in a position to assist in modifying the system to accommodate use overseas."

In other words, I should be thankful that my ICE and my batteries are still working outside US :(

Based on your pictures, I assume maps can be changed/updated with EU maps. I just need to figure it out how this can be done.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    eu maps for eu cars?

10. alinica2001

alinica2001 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    navigation unit is different in EU compared to US. There is no 11" unit in EU .
    The question now is : will a map update for EU unit work in my 11" US unit ?