1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Navigation Unit "Unable to read data"

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Razorhog, Jan 21, 2009.

1. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Are you able to pull the ECU and push the momentary switch inside? This is a reset button as well. The switch temporarily disconnects the backup battery, clearing ALL settings. Hold it for a good 5-10 seconds. The switch is tiny and black, but should be obvious once you find it. Following the traces should lead you to the ECU battery I speak of.

Also, do you have access to another NAV DVD to validate the disc (one would think the dealer did this too, but alas...) Can the NAV DVD be read in a standard PC DVD-ROM? Have you tried a tool such as Nero ScanDisc to verify the disc is 100% readable?

As for the other posters, I'm fairly certain the GEN4 unit was IDE. I doubt, given how far "behind" some of the other tech is in his unit that the GEN5 would be SATA at this stage.

Worst case, start shopping on eBay for a salvage GEN5 unit. Would definitely be <$5k, and it's easily a DIY swap. No need to let Toyota rape you on this one, especially if you're a skilled computer tech. The swap is as easy as, say, a PC power supply.

hope this helps,
    -Rick

2. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I had this problem. A change to a new DVD fixed my problem. DVDs go bad. A visual inspection can't tell you much about a "rotting" DVD. Check your system with a different DVD.

3. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    When I swapped ver 5.x (warranty replacement for the REALLY awful 4.x) for ver 8.1 last month, it was pretty clear that the rot had already started. The disc was easily 4 years old, but the hot Phoenician climate doesn't help that either. I hadn't started noticing any readability issues directly, though some tasks did take a bit longer than before. The new disc was quicker.

4. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well if this is really a/the problem, then I would think it would be OK to make 1 personal backup copy of the map disk and store it in a safe place until it is needed!! I would think that a good DVD copy program should do the trick. This is something that I will be looking into. I will let you know the results!!

73 de Pat KK6PD

5. Razorhog

Razorhog Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Trying a different DVD is a good idea, except I don't have one. I was going to try and copy the disc, but it is dual layer. I have a friend with a Nissan Armada that has DVD navigation, could I try that disc?

6. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Likely not, unless the Altima uses the same Denso system. The NAV DVD also contains specific software to make your NAV unit function, and our DVD's are manufactured specifically for Toyota Motor Corporation. I would ask if the dealer had tried this though.

7. Razorhog

Razorhog Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Took the car to another dealership for a second opinion. After 5.5 hours of work, they came to the same conclusion - the Nav ECU is bad and needs to be replaced. They tried a different DVD, and also took a new ECU out of a new Prius and it worked like a charm. Next step is to tell my Toyota Rep the results.

8. Razorhog

Razorhog Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Finally got the call yesterday from Toyota. They said they would cover 50% of the costs to replace the Nav ECU. That is around $2600, and that is nice of them. However, that is still a lot of money and I cannot afford it at this time. I will start the search for a used one and put it in myself.

9. Razorhog

Razorhog Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    One email and call to Steve at autobeyours.com and I have a used Nav ECU on the way!

10. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Our 2006 Prius is having this same issue. I upsets me beyond measure that this issue isn't covered under the original warranty.

Seems to me the map data should be stored on a memory chip instead of a DVD that can be damaged from a mechanical interface.

11. Razorhog

Razorhog Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I agree - an SD card would work just as well. At any rate, the used ECU I bought cost me a fraction of getting a new one from Toyota, and it came with a newer DVD! Took me 5 minutes to install. Toyota left a bad taste in my mouth on this one.

12. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I finally got the NAV to see the DVD. I had to reinstall the DVD several times before it would recognize the DVD. Lets see how long it lasts.

13. mandrei83

mandrei83 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  14. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I spoke to soon, as the same Navigation DVD issue popped up again. Then all of a sudden it worked again. Wth is going on? Is it the disk or the ECU? The disk appears fine and unscratched. This sort of stuff is a deal breaker for me, so I am not sure I will be getting another Toyota again.

15. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Well now it won't read the DVD yet again. I am so friggin mad!

Shouldn't this be covered under the original 3 year / 36,000 mile warranty?

16. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Okay so I went out and removed the DVD and reinstalled it. Now once again the Navigation system is working.

I also tried to reset the system via the hidden menu, Navigation Menu, top left, bottom left, top left, bottom left, bottom right. Nothing happened. So I tried Menu, Volume, top left, bottom left, top left, bottom left and Okay. Again nothing happened. What am I doing wrong here? The DVD version is 5.1.

17. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Took the car to the "Stealership" and the NAV issue is covered under the warranty.

18. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Well they replaced the NAV ECU and I asked if it was a new unit. They said Toyota only sends them remanufactured ECU replacements. Just great, our NEW part was replaced with a USED part. I don't care that it is in new condition,...it should be a brand new part.

Hey thanks Toyota!

19. joes49

joes49 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have the same problem, and was also quoted the reasonalbe replacement cost of $5K +. 2006 Prius with 27K miles.
    Any luck with this? Not sure how to proceed, aside from working on anger mangemewnt.

You can see how this BS has affected my spelling...

20. Razorhog

Razorhog Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I bought a used one from a junk yard and put it in myself. Cost me $495, and came with a newer version of the DVD. :)