1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Navigation update with Mirrorlink !

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Frolix, Oct 19, 2016.

1. Frolix

Frolix Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There's an update for the nav, 6.8.1, adds Mirrorlink, still buggy as far as I experienced.

Two important things to know: I'm in Europe, and it's bloody Mirrorlink 1.0 (current version is 1.2) so basically nothing works.

F. off Toyota, seriously.

RCO and Oversplode like this.
  2. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What part of Europe, Frolix? "Here" is a bit too vague for this old brain. o_O

3. Frolix

Frolix Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Belgium but I've read from French German and UK owners that they had the same crappy experience.
    Mirrorlink has issues, maybe it's not related to the version after all but still

RCO likes this.
  4. Frolix

Frolix Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just an update: the thing is still crashing from time to time, is pretty slow and when not driven after 2 days takes foerever to find satellites (10 minutes, Wth).
    Say what you want, at this rythm Toyota will lose their supporters pretty quickly.

RCO likes this.
  5. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't have Nav on my car (a £750 add on in UK) and wondered if mirror link is still available for me. Must say I'm not optimistic, but would love to mirror my phone navigation onto the screen.

6. raspy

raspy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, if you have Touch 2, then you would be able to use 'Mirrorlink' - however, you'd need quite an old Android phone (4+ years old - Samsung S3 I think...), as newer phones won't be compatible. Read the comments from customers on this Toyota GB post.
    Toyota Touch 2: Introduction - Toyota

7. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you for that shout. I have a Nexus 6 (too new I fear) but also an old S3 mini which might do the job. Read somewhere that, on the mirrolink site I think, that no Toyota Prius was compatible.
    Thanks again. (y)

8. raspy

raspy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, the S3 mini might do the trick. This video is a useful one (the version of Android that is running is important too, i.e. not too recent)

9. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry, but I'm completely confused by that clip. Do I need to be in the car because I can't find Drive Link or Mirrorlink in the app store. Suspect I've misunderstood something along the line at this end kit the day in my cosy living room.

10. raspy

raspy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The information you need is posted in the description of the video, which includes a link to the website where the app can be downloaded.

It will be interesting to see if you can make it work, as I'd have to buy a secondhand S3 for use in the car then.
    I have no idea if it will definitely work with the Gen 4, although in theory, it should.

I pulled this from the link I've included at the end of this post. You only need to do up to step 4 in the installation when you read the link. However, that may only allow you to use drivelink when the car is parked. In which case, it is possible to get the app working when the car is in motion, but that would require you to root the phone and install a custom ROM, which is a bit technical and not something I'd suggest for the average phone owner.

"At the moment, the app is confirmed working with:
    Galaxy Note II
    Galaxy S III
    Galaxy S IV

== INSTALLATION ==

The installation is the same, whatever your unit is. But, you may need to perform some additional steps if you have an Alpine Units, or if you do not have bypassed the handbrake signal.

Pre-Requisites
    Debug USB Must Be ON
    Unknown Sources must be ON
    DO A BACKUP COPY OF YOUR TMServerApp.apk (located in system/app)
    Copy "Drive Link.apk" anywhere in the phone.
    Open ANY file manager on the phone (even the stock one), browse to the folder where you previously copied the apk.
    Tap on It and Install it.
    Enjoy Full Mirroring!"

Drive Link - Full Mirroring

#10 raspy, Nov 9, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2016
    RCO likes this.
  11. raspy

raspy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You can see in this video (in French) how a chap uses DriveLink on his S3 to mirror to the screen, including Waze for navigation.

It appears to be a 2014 Auris Hybrid. If you watch from 1:52, you'll notice that the settings menu options are grayed out, until he then pulls up the handbrake, and then they appear.

RCO likes this.
  12. raspy

raspy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok, so it looks like a German Prius forum brings up a wealth of information. I used Google Translate to read all 4 pages of this thread. Page 3 is where they prove that S3 with Drivelink can get Google Maps on the Gen 4 touchscreen. I attach one of the pictures. I'm tempted to find a S3 off ebay tonight to try this! Although, the reviews seems to be quite poor, as the connection is a bit flaky and it requires the phone's screen to be on all the time.

Navi nachrüsten oder Mirror Link nutzen - PRIUSforum

Attached Files:

13. raspy

raspy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Regarding the update for 6.8.1, I'm tempted to NOT download the update, as reading feedback from a range of customers on Toyota's blog post, updating my software will introduce a whole new set of bugs.

If you're in the UK, be warned!

Toyota Touch2 with Go receives major software upgrade

RCO likes this.
  14. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You also have to root the phone first!

15. Frolix

Frolix Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Some issues form just the last two weeks, same as with the previous version:
    1. Map not loading, just a dark display in navigation mode.
    2. Music not playing from USB.
    3. GPS totally off (by miles and miles, or sometimes by "just" hundreds of yards).

This is my fourth and last Prius, hell, last Toyota. **** this noise.

bisco likes this.
  16. Teddy Blazer

Teddy Blazer New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    I know of a company in the UK who supply the Genuine Toyota Touch2Go Plus for £399 delivered. Installation is easy as I've done it for a friend and install time is about 90mins and everything is Genuine Toyota. Give us a shout if you require more details.

RCO likes this.
  17. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That sounds like a really good offer, but with regret I shall decline because my car is just on a three year contract and is not eligible for permanent modification. Perhaps other Brits will take you up on that deal. :)

Teddy Blazer likes this.
  18. Kiril

Kiril Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    I use Toyota Touch and Go + 6.9.0 and just got a new Samsung Note 8 phone. Mirrorlink now works or at least with works with Sygic Car Navigation in my case.

I found a bunch of videos on YouTube showing use of mirrorlink with other apps and Smsung S7 and S8. Unfortunately I do not know how to get these working I would love to get Waze working on the Prius screen.

Any ideas?

19. flic

flic Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    May I ask you if the head unit sw is last update. For me it's not, prius purchased in July 2017. May you explain how to update it. Thanks. 1506170711276.jpg

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

20. Kiril

Kiril Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Excel

You need to take picture of the serial number of your stereo and your car's VIN and register with Toyota. Then you should be able to activate 3 year free update plan for new vehicle and download latest version to USB flash. The. You plug the flash in the car and perform update.

It is rather clumsy process and it is not unusual to get stuck for hour or two until you figure what is the exact next step.

You should start from here for European Prius http://my.toyota.eu

flic and RCO like this.