1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Navigation

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by YorkieSue, Sep 5, 2006.

1. M. Oiseau

M. Oiseau 6sigma this

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bradysplace @ Sep 6 2006, 03:08 AM) [snapback]315059[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, please share what the computer guy showed you. About 71,000 MY2006 Prius owners would like to know.

2. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bradysplace @ Sep 6 2006, 01:08 AM) [snapback]315059[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, please share it. This is for the 2006 Prius, right? I thought the Lexus remedy didn't work for the Prius. Other than that, cutting the purple speed sensor wire (and installing a switch) has been the only answer.

3. dreichla

dreichla New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(YorkieSue @ Sep 5 2006, 02:03 PM) [snapback]314633[/snapback]</div>
    Wow - such strong emotions for the NAV system. Personally, I think it's the best thing about our car. It has an extensive memory which remembers the destinations you input (99 I think). You can sort them by date or alphanumericly. I use that function all the time.

I'll concede the point that some of the terminology on the buttons is not intuitive. But once you get used to it, it's a snap - really. You'll be flying in and out of the screens before you know it.

If you take the time to understand the system, you'll find the "pink elephant" just might turn into a jewel.

4. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aaf709 @ Sep 6 2006, 10:04 AM) [snapback]315118[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, come on bradysplace, tell us now!!! NOW NOW NOW!!! :)

5. sluggo42

sluggo42 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ichabod @ Sep 6 2006, 10:34 AM) [snapback]315175[/snapback]</div>
    Drumroll please..................?!?!!! What is the answer???..................

It might just be my ignorance, but it seems like you can get the Nav to do a lot of things for you when moving by using the Voice commands. But I'm still just a beginner.

I personally love the Nav system, perhaps it's because I haven't been tainted by using anything else other than the GPS system in my boat. But it would be nice if the Nave showed the lakes and depth contours a bit better, so I could study the lake while I'm on my way there!!! :p

6. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You can do plenty of things with voice, and that's why I'm not trying to sell the navi back to my dealer ;) There are a few things you can't do though, and pretty much everything that your "navigator" (i.e. passenger) can't do, or that you can't do if there are other people in the car talking.

7. rich502

rich502 New Member

Ditto to bradyplace, any problem with sharing the procedure with us (to unlock the Nav manipulation while driving).

My 2005 Prius Nav is the first Nav I've ever used and I wouldn't go anywhere without it now. I store lots of specific destinations and use previous locations when I need to return to an infrequently visited site. No problems. Have also used it for Points of Interest with success.

So overall I would say it does exactly what I thought it would do and am not disappointed tho I indeed suspect it is not as friendly and intuitive as other Nav systems, like Honda's or Gramin. But it 99% of the time gets me where I want to go in the Denver area without paper maps to distract me.

One disappointment: Out of the big city its map Database is weak. Smaller cities in Colorado, New Mexcio and Texas (even some with populations of 100,000), have lots of vacuums when it comes to directions, tho the streets and residences have existed for decades.

Do upgrades for the 2005 Prius Nav occur every January? I've heard they cost $275 or more. Has anyone gotten an upgrade for less?

Rich

8. fphinney

fphinney Member

SHEESH!

Hell...I'm 73 & this is my first GPS unit (2006 Prius pkg. #8, delivered on 6/15). I figure that it must be a lot like a new computer. There has to be thousands who have been in my shoes & I'm sure many of them mastered the beast OK...so why not me?!

I am constantly amazed at what this system can do. I suppose there might be better units, but by whose standards? The ability to customize things seems to be endless. I like the fact that when you're being guided on a freeway, the unit will change it's display for quite a few different conditions.

My biggest problem is mastering the entering of new destinations. I admit that the database has a few holes in it. I find that if the address you are trying enter isn't in the database, you're doomed!

Long live the Prius!

9. aforkosh

aforkosh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    One thing that I have found helps when entering destination addresses:

Before you enter the street number and street, touch the City button and enter the city. That way, you will be working only with street names in that city, so that you need to type fewer characters before you can select the name from a small list.

10. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    OP is AWOL....guess she just came to bitch and not to learn.

11. Trevor

Trevor Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fphinney @ Sep 7 2006, 12:35 AM) [snapback]315594[/snapback]</div>
    I hate that part too! I've used other systems that will guesstimate where the address should be as long as the number is within the range of the street... so if I enter 100 broadway and there is an 80 Broadway and 120 Brodway, it would map me to a point inbetween the two.

What I have done when the address isn't there is to find out a cross street and then enter an intersection instead of an address. After a few times of addresses not being in the database, I now enter all my addresses for a trip into the Nav the day before a trip so that I can use online mapping tools to get a cross street if I need it.

Another thing that works for me sometimes is using the Points on Interest. I had to go to a hotel a few weeks ago and the address wasn't in there. The hotel was in the database as a Point of Interest. That same addesss was also missing from yahoo maps.

Most people don't realize that there are only a handfull of companies out there that provide the map data for navigation units. Toyota's system uses Navteq and as pointed out in another thread, you can submit database corrections at http://update.navteq.com. Unfortunately, reporting it won't magically get a new DVD with the updated info into your car, so you'll probably just be helping other people down the line.

12. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    This actually reminded me of one of the things i hate the most about the nav system - the POI's. It's great to be able to look something up, but, for example, if i put in "chipotle", i want just one list with all the local chipotle's, sorted by distance from me... it tries to do this, but the morons putting the information into the database put some in as "chipotle", or "chipotle mexican grill" and some put them in as food versus mexican food... it all adds up to having somewhere around 10 different lists for the same restaurant chain, and having to go through all of them to find the specific location i'm thinking of but can't remember exactly where it is (happened two nights ago when i was in an area i hadn't been in since last summer... i know there was one somewhere, and i was starving, but couldn't remember where)

Seems to me that it wouldn't be too difficult to take their current database and cross reference it with the "store locator" features on most websites... then you could trim all of them down to one list instead of 10.

13. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Sep 7 2006, 08:51 AM) [snapback]315677[/snapback]</div>
    I agree with you on that... We were trying to find a Cracker Barrel, it was listed as a store, a restraunt and just Cracker Barrel with no tag. Took forever trying several different combinations to find one nearby on our route. It worked, but definately wasn't intuitive and the system doesn't seem very flexible. Kinda like entering street names...is South Main entered as "South Main", "S Main", or do you hit the little "S" on the NSEW buttons and just type in "Main"? And you have to know if it's a street, avenue, way, circle, court, whatever...it won't search the available options. IOW, if someone tells you they live at 924 Oak, if that's what you enter it insists on putting in the ave., whatever...if you guess wrong it just says "no such address...." well crap, then just give me the options that there is a 924!

Anyway, that' where patience is in order. I've managed to find everything I've ever needed to find, but it does take some creativity sometimes.

14. bradysplace

bradysplace Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aaf709 @ Sep 6 2006, 09:04 AM) [snapback]315118[/snapback]</div>

Have you ever felt like you were between a rock and a hard spot ??????????????? Thiis is going to sound like a cop-out but its not. Utilizing a non secure website that is open to anyone who wishes to view would be the worse place to detail how to overide a safety system that was purposly installed on every toyota that has nav. The system and its restrictions are there for a very good reason (I know I know stop preaching). Tampering with these safety systems could have serious consequences (Is my law school starting to show threw?). I doubt that the good doc fusco would use this forum to advocate a medical procedure regardless of its simplicity. SO - I can say that it is a derivitive of the Lexus procedure. We've got a lot of really smart technically minded folks on this site and I know someone will figure it out and be more than willing to let the world know. I feel like I am letting down friends - sorry. Its just not worth the consequences.

15. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bradysplace @ Sep 7 2006, 05:17 PM) [snapback]315998[/snapback]</div>
    Sorry, but I seriously disagree with you here.
    The NAV override can be of benefit or harm. It is up to the end user to determine whether he'll use it in a potentially harmful way or in a way that is of no risk at all.

I've installed, long ago, a switch to override my NAV speed sensor and Bluetooth sensor. I have, I think, very good situational awareness. I have, at times I felt it to be safe, carefully entered phone numbers or addresses in both the NAV and BT. There is some risk...I'm aware of that risk. I take extreme care to pay attention to the road when I'm doing this. Much like a pilot in an airplane (and I'm a pilot too) that must enter nav coordinates, change radio frequencies, replot a route, or reference a map for alternate/emergency landing sites these activities all distract from the task at hand. The good pilot/driver pays attention and takes the risks when they are the lowest. That's what I consider the low to moderate risk use of this modification.

The ZERO risk use is when my passenger, usually my wife, is able to use the full functionality of the NAV and/or BT while we're going down the road. This provides no more distraction from the road for me than anything else that ever occurs in the cabin of the car.

Look, if you feel that you are not a safe enough driver to enter data when circumstances allow or that you're not a safe enough driver to allow a passenger to do so while you drive, then, by all means, don't bother with these mods. In one way you're correct, they were instituted by Toyota. But I disagree with your assertion that they were done for the end user's safety...they were done as a means of protecting the manufacturer from liability in the case of an accident if it were in use at the time of an accident. Just like the silly "I agree" disclaimer....When you see that do you say to yourself..."oh, maybe this isn't safe, I won't hit that button"?

Look, there is some risk, but it is a controllable risk...not like disabling air bags or VSC or seat belts where you can't control for things. But with the NAV and BT you can control how distracted you are or are not going to be while driving. Some will, indeed, make mistakes. But the majority of us have good sense and can be careful.

16. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bradysplace @ Sep 7 2006, 03:17 PM) [snapback]315998[/snapback]</div>
    I'm sorry you feel that way, but I respect you for your conviction. Looking back, it probably would've been better if you hadn't mentioned that you knew a way. I have a 2005, so I know that override (which I got from here, but is also on about.com), but you raised a lot of hopes.

I do want to mention that I've needed the override maybe 4 times since July 2005, so it's not something I rely upon on a daily basis. Normally I enter while parked.

If you don't want to reveal it on this site, is there a secure site you want to put it?

17. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You can feel free to e-mail or PM the proceedure to me and I'll post it, complete with a disclaimer, and will face any and all consequences of the action.

18. rich502

rich502 New Member

Taking the hint of aaf709, the article on
    How To Enter Destinations While In Motion - Prius, RX 400h, Highlander Hybrid
    is at
    http://hybridcars.about.com/od/ownership/ss/navigation.htm
    Six caveats:
    1. It does not apply to the 06 Prius
    2. If you hit the wrong button while performing the "secret" Navigation override, you could lock up the Navigation system. The fix, apparently, is to take the Prius to the dealer or attempt the repair your self through a complicated 1 to 3 hour operation also explained on hybridcars.about.com.
    3. "It is not a permanent fix. It resets to the default mode each time the hybrid is shut down. But the annoyance is relatively small compared to the freedom of entering map destinations, and more, while in motion."
    4. For safety you should make the adjustment so that passengers can search for addresses while you drive. We've all seen cell phone drivers, who probably think their excellent drivers and in control as they manipulate their phones, but we've seen them drive and it's NOT TRUE. The same would be true for YOU if you're trying to manipulate the Nav system while driving. And I've never flown a plane, but I think you have much more free time to take your eyes off the instruments and the environment outside once in flight than you do as an auto driver on the roadway. So a good pilot does not necessarily make for a good driver.
    5. As the author of the article states clearly, make these 'secret' adjustments at your own risk, and don't blame others if your screw up your Nav system or have an accident if you drive distracted by Nav manipulation.
    6. I haven't tried the instructions myself so can't testify if they work. The about.com author (Eric Powers) appears to be very knowledgable and thorough, though. If I get around to making the adjustment per his instructions, will let you know.

Rich

19. jrfaris

jrfaris Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rich502 @ Sep 7 2006, 09:21 PM) [snapback]316186[/snapback]</div>
    Amazing how we end up back where we were over a year ago;
    PC Knowledge Base Article
    I suspect that bradysplace's Lexus guy was not talking about or demonstrating on a 2006 Prius.

20. rich502

rich502 New Member

I tried the steps in
    http://hybridcars.about.com/od/ownership/ss/navigation.htm
    mentioned in my message (Post #38), which is the same as the steps that irfaris brought to our attention:
    http://priuschat.com/forums/kb.php?mode=article&k=34 in the next post.

It works like a champ on my 2005 Prius Nav system. Nothing broken. Bluetooth still works (tho dialing is still disabled).

I would say, tho, be careful when you hit BACK once you press Override on the Service Menu. BACK and LOADING are close to each other and from reading the literature, hitting LOADING can cause problems.