1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Navigation

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by YorkieSue, Sep 5, 2006.

1. nmeyer79

nmeyer79 New Member

I'm afraid I have to call BS on bradysplace's posts. I don't think he knows of a way (and I'm not just saying this in a lame reverse psychology way) to override the 2006 nav lockout.

My reasoning is painfully simple. There are hundreds of posts and websites telling you exactly how to override the lockout for pre-2006 models. Have any of those posters gotten in trouble? Not a bit. If bradysplace is so familiar with the legal system, he would have to be aware that no legal issues have befallen those who disclosed the override information, so why would he suddenly be in trouble for it?

Here's a second reason why I think that a)bradysplace doesn't have the answer, and b)possibly there is no easy answer: SOMEONE would've posted it SOMEWHERE. Obviously not bradysplace, but he mentioned that someone else knew how to do it. That someone, or someone else who knows, could easily have posted the solution just as many others have for pre-2006 prii. The reason they haven't, I think, is because there is no secret password for disabling the lockout.

Of course I wish there was, for all of your sakes! (And for mine, as I plan on purchasing a 2007 next year.)

2. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <_< Back to YorkieSue's original post, and the responses...

First: The Prius NAV admittedly is not instinctive, but I do find mine functional and useful. I did invest time and effort to learn many of its peculiarities. Actually, it was already on the slightly used (4,000 miles) Prius I bought - I probably wouldn't have paid the extra $$$ to purchase it otherwise.

The strangest thing is the varied responses to verbal requests. Like... If I say "Go Home" the response sometimes (not frequently) is something like "Showing Post Office Icons" or such. I consider this "entertainment" and have named my Prius "Ernestine" after Lili Tomlin's LaughIn telephone operator character of some years back.

The ultimate answer: Turn it OFF if it bugs you so much. It does have value when you sell or trade.

3. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Ernestine... i like it. a few months ago i was showing the car off to some fraternity brothers, and one asked if i had given her a name yet... i said no, and he reached over, hit the button, and said "Name yourself". she promptly replied by saying "displaying all mexican restaurants"

4. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Charles Suitt @ Sep 14 2006, 12:01 PM) [snapback]319632[/snapback]</div>
    Is that like being slightly pregnant?

:lol:

5. pibe1

pibe1 New Member

The Navigation does leave lots to be desired. I have the Pioneer Z1 installed on my Honda Element and it blows the Prius out of the water and it was half the price. My wife drives the prius mainly and she hates how it tries to reroute you when you know where you going snd you know the best route. The pioneer is always right on.

I feel that having a override is a must on every Nav system when you have a passanger in the car. After all, aren't they always co-piloting anyway and in case of an emergency, the co-pilot becomes indispensible.

6. InfideNino

InfideNino New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Marcelo Rizzo @ Sep 21 2006, 09:25 AM) [snapback]322723[/snapback]</div>
    When you know where you're going and you know the best route, don't use the navigation. My experience with any navigation system is that it will not always find the best route but it will almost always find a route.

7. Oxo

Oxo New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(InfideNino @ Sep 21 2006, 04:52 AM) [snapback]322728[/snapback]</div>
    True, but there was one occasion when I was starting a 30-mile route and I thought I knew best but the nav system came up with a different one so I tried it, went along roads I didn't know existed, and then at the end realised the Nav's route was a better one than mine.

8. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :) I accidentally ran into a newer online DVD illustrating the Prius NAV system. Times past, I had provided a link for the Lexus system (same system but different panel buttons), but this one is designed better for the Prius system and utilizes the newer, high-resolution MFD. Here it is:

http://www.toyota-eshowroom.com/consumer/T...toyota_nav.html

9. bad monkey

bad monkey New Member

I have a palm pilot TOM TOM GPS and I love it. The Prius is almost as easy to use as that. I being someone who thinks that the Prius Nav is mostly intuitive.

That being said my first complaint with the Nav is that there is not an easy way to tell it to reroute around traffic or road blocks. The TOMTOM had an easy thing where you tapped the traffic, and it asked you where the heavy traffic was, you tapped the corresponding section of road, and it routed you around it. If there was a road block (in LA read SigAlert), you told it how far away it was from you and it routed you onto another street or off the freeway until you were past and then put you back on the original route, assuming it was still faster when you diverted.

My second is that with all the technology in the car, and the fact it can tell you what time you are going to arrive at your destination, who come I still have to manually enter a time in the car clock? Why is it not updated off of the satellite GPS time? I know not all Prii have the Nav feature, but for those that do, Jesus Tapdacing Christ on a stick... set my clock so that the GPS and the car clock are synchronized.