1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured NC to add hybrid fee

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Recian, Sep 24, 2019.

1. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Most aren't disputing #2, because many states implementing such a fee are going with large instead of small.

2. Recian

Recian Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Honestly I don't mind if it was within reason. I did the math. I drive 15,000 miles a year roughly. 36.2c per gallon tax in NC. I'd pay 108 a year in gas taxes at 50mpg. My Cali SRT4 gets 25 so driven the same distance I pay $216 a year gas tax. They are proposing 230-250 a year added to registration so you have to pay to keep driving it ON top of that 108 I payed at the pump so they're double taxing hybrid owners. I live paycheck to paycheck being a single income family 500 once a year to keep driving.. I'd be ok paying 100-125 to offset it at about 250 a year. This bill had the ev tax removed in July before a vote was done so we dodged a bullet for now but they want to put it back. I see tons of 3g prius in my area. I want one because they're fascinating and efficient. Emissions to me is meh but im all about efficiency. If the car can be more efficient in what it does I'm game. Im even looking at plug-ins because the ability to use electric even more is fascinating. I suspect I'd see alot less prius once the car becomes more expensive to drive. You don't notice it so much getting 35-40mpg on a modern econobox but that punch to the gut when registration is due and your last paycheck was a little low..

3. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Fixed taxes should be banned on the individual.

All these taxes will accomplish is making fewer cars be registered.

Wisconsin once had 8.5 million registrations and very reasonable annual registration fees, after the fee tripled the number of registered vehicles dropped to 6.5 million

The other thing we need to avoid are fees collected through the DMV.

DMV Fees only go to the general fund, which doesn’t fund roads

Most all DMVs blow around half of collections on overhead and other BS.
    Meaning you need to collect a lot more tax to get a lot less impact.

Very sad state of affairs that all states are copying the Alec model legislation verbatim.

And I don’t buy that they give a flying F about rural drivers, this is all about commercial drivers wanting individuals to hike the cost of their road damage.

I might have to start a taxi service that doesn’t Pickup a single passenger so I can be exempt from road tax

Trollbait likes this.
  4. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I considered signing up with Uber and deducting all my miles.

5. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Virginia has quite high car taxes so I am curious how the Tesla owners handle it, but I would think some are business owned, but we tax them too, not sure. I feel our car tax is counter-productive squelching new car sales, but especially here elected offficials are loathe to change from the ways its been for the last 200 years. Hard to change when the system is so hardened and ingrained. We'd have to change the whole tax structure of the state somehow.

#25 wjtracy, Oct 2, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
  6. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    I remember some time ago talking to a Tesla owner who said he didn’t care if the tax was $10,000 annually because it would make the cars exclusive.

I think that is part of the problem, because there is a major smug badge of honor paying these fees it makes it even less likely that normal people will buy in.
    It also means the feedback on the fees are skewed, since many owners don’t care about the financial aspect