1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

NCAA Basketball annual madness

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by tochatihu, Mar 14, 2023.

1. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    2023 joins years before. It is among other things an economic engine. USD$2 billions get wagered (probably a substantial underestimate), video broadcasters profit well (seems behind a veil), NCAA got $850 millions last year (they develop college scholars in part with athletics, or some such story), and colleges winning step by step get shares of that in the laundry.

Beyond all that money, it can be the only time for scholar athletes to be on national TV. Some few will advance to NBA, but most will become regular people instead. Highlight reels for later grandchildren etc.

People not living under correct geostationary satellites miss a lot of fun :(

There is also an ‘undercard’ tournament, NIT, with 1/10 financial churn (?) where great teams dress their wounds during off years, and far-from-great teams get to play with big boys.

Not all about boys though. NCAA has ladies as well. My only prediction: if Brittney Griner is seen in audience, it will be a big deal. Griner has been playing professionally for years, but most recently involved in a trade for a ‘past his prime” Russian illegal-arms dealer. That stands rare or alone among sports trades.

==

The madness will end in Houston. Will Houston’s team watch final from seats? Will Kansas or Kansas State get a chance to send other to the cornfield (Twilight Zone ref)? Will any of >6 other plausibles get confetti in their hair?

2. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yellow card!

You're suggesting that humans are sexually dimorphic.

bisco likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    wake me four the final four :p

4. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    We are early in this madness. To all who bought in with brackets. Princeton has spoiled yours. But also everyone elses' so despair not.
    @bisco will nap until 4 remain and so miss a lot of fun. About 10 realistic contenders remain for final 4

On April 3, Alabama will face some right-side-bracket team in final, and win. Between now and then, many interesting things will happen.

==
    This is not the place to discuss that human genders are two, with <<1% of physical intergrades, With <1%born physically one way but seeking trans (surgery to) other side. With <6% seeking to sexually interact with their same physical side. And another small % seeking to interact with ... I dun no ...anybody? I leave it to others to assert that so few edge cases should dominate all our thoughts. But take it somewhere else, OK? Here is basketball.

5. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Oral Roberts Univ been hot in recent weeks. Maybe bracketeers put them to pass Duke? Sorry.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Watching the ladies tonight, is that inappropriate?

7. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Thought you were sleeping

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Not through morphing women, must see!

9. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    OK then, you are on Griner watch.

bisco likes this.
  10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    We were uge sue bird fans back in the day.
    I prefer women’s sports, seems more honest, especially the pros.
    Love women’s golf, they hit it twice as far as me.
    And tennis? Fuggedaboudit

11. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Oh the ending of the UVA Furman game.

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks for bringing us back on topic :oops:

13. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Pends on the ladies and what you're watching them DO.

I spent last night watching girls archery and t-ball matches.
    MORE entertaining than watching brackets getting busted!

14. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Enjoy watching women's basketball due to the teamwork and ball movement and offensive plays.

Do take a passing interest in men's college basketball but can't watch it for very long. Having played basketball I notice the palming/carrying the ball - the intentional physical contact and walking that is present in the men's game. It bears no resemblance to basketball as I was taught how to play it. Today men's basketball most resembles a cross between a Rugby and a handball match - it no way resembles basketball and just holds no interest for me. Others seem to love it.

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i did see a lady take a major dive last night after no contact. sorry to see them copying the men

John321 likes this.
  16. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited

Ex b-ball ref. Agree. When I ref'ed, the stress was on quickness and not strength. I think the first page of the Rules book said the same.

But love it when Fairly-Rediculous (Fairleigh Dickinson) upsets a 1 seed. And not so much when ND (I went there when it was all male) women win by a ridiculous amount even with two starters out for the year.

John321 and tochatihu like this.
  17. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Despite my deep Hoosier roots, I have not watched much round ball in the last few years. Men’s college ball is now nearly indistinguishable from NBA in terms of sportsmanship.
    I missed IU yesterday to dine with my grandchildren, and it looks like my work schedule might prevent me from watching them tomorrow - although a Sweet-16 appearance will probably heighten my interest, especially since we are a clan deeply divided with a number of my people bleeding UK Blue.

I might peek in on Bama this evening. Just to throw a little plaid into the next Saturday morning family board meeting. An extraordinarily unlikely Bama-IU-UK appearance in the final four would almost certainly necessitate a rescheduling of my semi-occasional sojourns to the home sod.

I haven’t lived in the Hoosier state since I was 18, but I AM STILL a proud native :)

#17 ETC(SS), Mar 18, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2023
  18. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Fairleigh Dickinson was as upsetting as it could possibly get this year. Ken Pomeroy 312 ranked team beating the 7th ranked. There have been other less remarkable upsets. Princeton (KenPom 112) is still in in (as the Ivy League so rarely is) and currently, remarkably leading Missouri in first half. That is a Tiger/Tiger game, also a rarity.

Most upsets have favored Alabama's tides so far it seems to me. Others helped Houston, the Finals host, and they surely need it. It may be Abalama and Houston in Final, but maybe not eh? Indiana might get to test the tenacity of Houston's tendons. Depends on Miami's vice.

19. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Princeton (go Ivy) has found itself in 16 with only Baylor or Creighton remaining to oppose Bama, happens tmrw. After that TN or KS State (East quadrant) will probably remain to swim against Bama tide towards round of 4.

Houston if passing Indiana will have Texas or Xavier in round of 16. Upstarts in their quadrant have not cleared their path.

Only the West quadrant is following expectations, and UCLA v. Gonzaga and UConn V. Kansas will make TV commercials worth investments in round of 16. IOW, tight games are expected. They are KenPom ranked 2, 8, 4, 9 respectively. Any of them, I reckon, could trouble Houston in round of 4.

20. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Maryland 'had a moment' against Alabama in 1st half. Seems to have passed but it might suggest Bama is not unbeatable. They will face some solid teams in 16, with outcomes uncertain.

But first Baylor from Waco ...Unless Princeton downs them also ...