1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Near Center Speedometer....Again?

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by Rest, Jan 11, 2011.

1. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I don't mind the center display for seeing the information I need to drive. I can glance at it without moving my head, which is the most important thing.

However, I think it would be better to have the instrument cluster in front of the driver so that other displays such as navigation could be higher.

2. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Good point. You can change the tilt of the steering wheel without having the gages blocked. I can see my info more easily closer to the windshield than looking down through the steering wheel.

3. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The high mounted speedo on the Prius is one of the things I miss most in my current car (my former Prius was a GII). No craning my neck to peer through the steering wheel, or taking my eyes off the road to glance down and back up again. I really, really liked that instrument panel.

1 person likes this.
  4. Much More Better

Much More Better Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I like the Gen 3 speedo position, but haven't seen the v yet. It took no time at all to get used to. Didn't even faze me during my test drive. I think the real key to eye comfort and safety is the high positioning of the display and distance away from the drivers' eyes. In more conventional vehicles, you have to look down, change focus, and maybe accept a higher steering wheel position in order to not obscure the display. In the Prius, my head remains upright, and my eyes easily switch between road and speedo.

It doesn't have to be in the centre to be comfy, just high up.

What is unsafe is how addictive the MPG and 1min consumption display is!!!!!!

5. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Center speedometer is good because speed limit signs are on the side of the road. When you look to right (LH drive) or left (RH drive), only have to look down a little to see the speedo, not straight ahead and down though a steering wheel.

Plus, I'm guessing they can leave the gage stack in the same place for both LH and RH drive cars. Saves on production costs.

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It depends. People say it's for cost savings but they still need to make two different dashboard designs (the only one I can think of is the Echo which really did have a symmetrical dashboard design)

1 person likes this.
  7. JACoH

JACoH Enjoying the mileage

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Actually, I drove my wife's Honda CRV the other day, and was more irritated at moving my sight down to the speedo than having the Prius just a glance toward where I am looking anyway. My 2 Scions were up high center also, and I think they look better, not covered up by steering wheel, and safer.

1 person likes this.
  8. Cactus Hybrid

Cactus Hybrid Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

My only complaint is that the right radio knob is TOO far away. You can't use the knob with your elbow resting comfortably on the center counsel.

I wish the round AC control Knob was used for the Radio instead. The AC knob is not used as much as the Radio!

Is it just me that feels like this?

Oh well....are you listening Toyota!

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Aside from the unusually large font size, why not use the steering wheel controls?

also, I don't think I've had any car where I could reach the radio while resting my elbow on the centre console lid.