1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Nearly killed by idiot driver -- a recent string

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by cyberpriusII, Nov 26, 2018.

1. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So, I decided to take advantage of a relatively dry and warm day here in Oregon and take myself and my two dogs to one of my "secret" hiking spots.

Coming back -- about 1 p.m. -- dry roads, sunny, etc. -- I am going about 55 mph in a 55 mph zone and approach an intersecting road. A white Ford Fusion comes up to this T-intersection and stops at the stop sign. I am on a state highway, so have no stop.

Next thing I know, the Ford pulls out. I slam on the brakes so hard I tweaked the tendon on the outside of my braking leg -- this was in a Camry BTW -- there is lots of smoke from my tires (General RT42) and lots of screech....I have to give the tires credit, they did a great job.

I miss hitting the Ford by about a foot, but the Camry in the meantime starts to jerk and juke and tries to spin. In the meantime I am heading off the road toward a river. I manage to downshift and bring the car under control with about one foot to spare.

Mostly, this is just I NEED to spout off thread, but in the past few weeks I have had several close calls --- but none as close as this one....this is very unusual. If I had not been able correct the car, we would have been in the river and I figure my dogs and I would have been DOA.

Anyway, I have now decided to run with headlights on 24/7 and I am wondering if I should go confess past sins. :eek:

Opps, I just realized I posted in the wrong forum.....Oh, well. I am sure it will be moved if it merits the efforts. :rolleyes:
    Kris

m.wynn and Stevewoods like this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    glad you're okay chris.:) too many distracted/influenced drivers out there.

3. Usle

Usle Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Get a dash cam, at the rate things can happen having solid proof will save money if the other car denies your version.

jerrymildred likes this.
  4. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I want video lol....

And that's why I never drive without a GoPro in the window recording everything. There cheap and bulletproof and have a mild fisheye lens and record for hours in HD.

I video tapped a friends wedding a few years ago using my H2 and it was very cool with the mild fisheye lens you capture everything.

Go on ebay and get a Hero 2 or 3. There real cheap. I bought a Hero 2 kit 8 years ago and its still going strong.

It may save you alot of money.

5. cyberpriusII

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If I had not brought the car under control, I think that my husband would have been the one to benefit from a dash cam!

Hmm. maybe it is Karma. I have been following my ancestors old Swedish tradition of NOT killing spiders, but relocating them outside the house.

I think the spiders may have been looking out for me.[​IMG]

Kris

#5 cyberpriusII, Nov 26, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
  6. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Strange that it was in the middle of a sunny day.

But, I have my lights on at all times. Means I have to replace them more often, but....

7. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not really. I've had SUV drivers not see my spouse's fire-engine-red Integra, with headlights on, in the middle of the sunny day, and steer a course for solid impact.

Those little handle-held screen thingies can cause very serious blindness. And not just of the visual type.

8. Usle

Usle Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Isn't cell phone use illegal in all states.

Vermont has signs on the borders, "Use of hand held electronics is illegal", ive been wondering if that includes Vapes.

I look at every driver near me to see if they are on the phone, a large number are, but when they are about to blindly T-bone you....

9. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There are more disctrcted drivers out there for a very good reason.....
    ....there are more drivers.

Nobody hated distracted drivers worse than me (who drives a lot in my job) but a person pulling out in front of you may have just...not seen you. They might have been bedazzled by the sun, tired, or just plain old....inattentive.

On the good side of the ledger......you would have DIED in an older car, and who knows?
    Some day, AI might prevent DD.

Piders......(meaning arachnids)

I positively loathe them, but like snakes.....they kill pests.....and I say this as a pretty entomophobic person.
    Most vipers are not venomous but the number of non poisonous spiders on the entire planet......zero!

My CFO kills them all enthusiastically, but I adopt a live and let live policy for both....when I can.
    After all.....nobody has ever contracted malaria, West Nile, or GOD knows what else from spiders or snakes!!!

I think that your Swedish ancestors knew what they were about.

#9 ETC(SS), Nov 28, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
    Mendel Leisk and jerrymildred like this.
  10. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...sorry to hear about the experience. Wonder how the new Camry with the safety systems would react.

11. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Kris, I am glad you survived that incident.

Does the Camry have ABS? If yes then it appears something is wrong with that system.

12. cyberpriusII

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is an '03 Camry. No ABS, but lots of love. I may be wrong, but I am thinking if I were in a car with Auto Trans, I may not have made it.

Well, as my husband said, it cleared my arteries.

Very surprised that the dogs did as well as they did, since they were in the back seat and were not strapped down. They, of course, were potential projectiles.

And, opps, one spider this morning, despite all my efforts to catch and relocate, kept scurrying away and did bite me (that happens a lot, I do not hold that against them).

In a fit of rage, I mashed said spider into mush. Hmm, I better take extra care in the upcoming weeks.

Stevewoods and Mendel Leisk like this.
  13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that's my standard policy, anywhere inside the walls i pay taxes on. they are free to roam the yard and barn. same for any other insects/rodents/relatives

Raytheeagle and Mendel Leisk like this.
  14. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I had a spider just this morning decide to wander across the wash basin. Taking Kris' attitude in hand, so to speak, I managed to scoop said spider into a bit of fluff and transport outside.

I am now awaiting any plus or negative spider Karma.....

15. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Vehicle speed, driver reaction time, as well as driving skills are the 3 most important things you have direct control over when it comes to avoiding an accident. Look like all three of those saved you! Congrats...

One of the things I love most about being a Prius driver is that people are familiar with these cars driving slow in the slow lane... :) And yes intersections on rural freeways a sketchy as F... I'll never be comfortable driving through one 'em at 65mph, even when there's a green light, it just doesn't seem right.