1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Neat and Obscure facts about the PiP

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by 9G-man, Apr 18, 2012.

1. ely105

ely105 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    The PIP has vehicle tracking capability, sort of. When you pull up the Entune App and goto Vehicle Finder it will show the last reported location of your car. I don't know how often it checks in, but if you want to update the location sooner, back out of the app and go into charge management. From Charge Management you can force it to update the status. Now go back into Vehicle Finder and voila, an updated vehicle location. May not be that easy to use, but it works in a pinch. Now just don't abuse it! :)

I can't remember if the base package has these entune apps or if it's only on advanced.

2. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Only the Advanced, since it uses the Safety Connect cell phone in the car.

3. iRun26.2

iRun26.2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    That's what I meant to say (but I guess I didn't convey that very well). :)

4. FUUFNF

FUUFNF Forum Lurker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Can you connect to the internet wirelessly using the Entune app on the iPhone?

Do you know how much the tethering service costs from AT&T?

5. longterm

longterm Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I heard an interview the other day with an engineer who was an expert on gasoline engines, and he maintained that buying premium gasoline was a complete waste of money.

I had two Infiniti J30s whose manuals directed to use premium fuel. I drove the first one 200,000 miles, the 2nd one about 150,000, with no knocking, no pinging, and the cars were virtually maintenance-free.

In my opinion, buying premium gas is like buying "vitamin-enhanced water." It's water.

6. crewdog

crewdog Acting Ensign Prius Prime

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The height of the tailgate when opened is about 4 inches higher than the Gen II, preventing me from operating the garage door when tailgate is open.

The interior height of the cargo compartment is about 2 inches less than Gen II. only realized when tried to take a plastic trash can full of recycled cans to the fireman's burn foundation collection point; it wouldn't quite fit with lid on.

7. terrylowe

terrylowe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I can connect wirelessly with or without Entune enabled on the iPhone. It runs through bluetooth when you have tethering.

I am on CSpire which allows tethering without an extra fee (so far). I want to say that ATT charged something like $20 a month, but can't remember for sure. You USED to be able to get it on a jailbroken iPhone for nothing, but ATT started cracking down on that....they NEED that extra $20 a month.....

8. Chris Allingham

Chris Allingham New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I think this is a neat feature if you live in a hilly area.

--

Hill-Start Assist Control (pg 333 in the manual)

Hill-start assist control helps to prevent the vehicle from rolling backwards when starting on an incline or slippery slope.

To engage, further depress the brake pedal whem the vehicle is stopped completely. A buzzer will sound once to indicate the system is activated. The slip indicator will also start flashing.

When operating, the brakes remain automatically applied after the driver releases the brake pedal. The hill-start assist control operates for 2 seconds after the brake pedal is released.

--

Regards,
    Chris

delrey and mozdzen like this.
  9. fberger

fberger Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I do have the same problem, with our Gen II parked next to the PiP it is very annoying to see the difference every day. The spoiler of the PiP already shows marks from the garage door after only 3 weeks. I am going to have to install some foam to the inside of our garage door to protect the plastic spoiler.

10. Tracksyde

Tracksyde Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    This post may be of interest to you. Rather than sticking some foam padding on the garage door, this owner replaced the hatch struts with shorter ones:

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...4-hatchback-hitting-garage-door-solution.html

1 person likes this.
  11. Allannde

Allannde Just a Senior

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced

Attached Files:

• ZZZ.png
      ZZZ.png
      File size:
      316.9 KB
      Views:
  12. ThatTallGuy

ThatTallGuy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    The power outlet inside the center console is useful for leaving your cell charger plugged in. The one down at the seat warmer switches is pretty far away; let the passenger use that one. :)

But closing the armrest will clamp down on your charge cable, eventually destroying it.

Solution: there's a small cutout in the middle of the piece between the armrest compartment and the cupholder in front of it. Lay the cable through that and when the armrest closes there's still enough room for the cable to move freely.

Image 1, POV as though a person in the middle back seat were looking forward over the center armrest; image 2, POV straight down over the closed armrest.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

13. chesleyn

chesleyn Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Jailbreak your phone and you can enable tethering.

14. John in LB

John in LB Life is good

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Nope, sorry to tell you that Premium is not the same as "vitamin-enhanced water"... Depending on your compression ratio, you absolutely have a need for a minimum Octane number.

It is a waste of money to buy higher octane fuel than you need - so putting Premium into a Prius would be a waste of money and not have any effect on performance. However, other cars (high performance, such as Porsche), definitely require the higher grades and the effects are immediate and evident to the driver.

Bottom line: buy regular gasoline for your Prius. If you want to "maintain" engine efficiency / performance, then buy a name brand such as Chevron as they provide an excellent set of additives which keep the combustion system "clean".

Adam Leibovitch likes this.
  15. John in LB

John in LB Life is good

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I am surprised no one noticed this:

The right side triangular window behind the passenger seat is part of the defogger system for the hatchback. The driver side is not... (go look... and you will see the orange wire on it.)

16. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    give my the formula to JB my iPhone 4S with 5.1 and I will be a happy camper :rockon:

17. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    I was told by paradox, that these are antennae for better radio reception. I trust tha man...

18. jsfabb

jsfabb Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I was at Toyota this morning for my 5K visit and was talking to the Tech Guy for the dealership. I showed him that the defogger was only on the passengers side and he was truly amazed that he didn't know that before. :)

19. iRun26.2

iRun26.2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    I had seen the defogger on the passenber side of my PiP before, but I had never thought about the fact that it is ONLY on the passenger side (since, for driver visability, it isn't needed on the driver's side).

20. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I would believe that it's an antenna than a defogger (unless someone has picture of a RHD Prius and shows that the opposite triangular window has the lines. If it doesn't, then it's probably the glass-imprinted antenna to supplement the stub).