1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Neat and Obscure facts about the PiP

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by 9G-man, Apr 18, 2012.

1. radiocycle

radiocycle Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yeah, that's one of the main things I would wish for on the base model. Maybe it will trickle down in later versions....

r

2. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You can change the Bluetooth name. I changed mine to "Pearl Prius." after the change, I had to un-pair my iPhone, then power it off and on. It then paired to Pearl Prius.

3. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Yeah, like $7,000 plus more....

4. PRPrius

PRPrius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I don't know if this was mentioned before. However, I discovered a neat feature when using my phone's ipod. I had the iPhone connected to the car via the USB interface. I was listening to music as I pulled into the McDonald's drive thru. I pressed the pause button on the MFD. As I pulled away from the drive thru I wanted to resume the music play. I forgot I had pressed the pause button and instead though I had lowered the volume. Using the volume knob I increased the volume, immediately realizing I had paused the music not lowered the volume. To my surprise the system knew that my volume increase meant that I wanted to play music. The car automatically went from pause to play as I tried to increased the volume with the volume knob.

TomE and chesleyn like this.
  5. blmoore

blmoore Threadfinder

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    There's an orange-ish light that lights up the floor on the front passenger side when you open a door - easy to make sure you're not leaving anything behind!

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's the footwell lighting. There should be one on each side of the front footwells (driver and passenger). They stay dimmed in Drive and bright in Park.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    when you slide the air vents all the way in one direction, they close. i don't think my 08 did that.

8. That is true, I just noticed that today.

9. jsfabb

jsfabb Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    They probably saved some money by eliminating that little dial mechanism which usually controls the amount of air flow, figuring most people either have it fully on or off.

10. I find them very consoling and calming.

11. PRPrius

PRPrius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I need confirmation on this one! However, I think they got rid of the beeping when the VSC system kicks in. This morning I had the opportunity to test the VSC while making a 90 degree right hand turn in heavy rain. The VSC was engaged during this time but it didn't beep. The light flashed like on my Gen II but the beep was not there. I am sure the VSC not the traction control kicked in. Have they change the beep settings or something for VSC? Maybe the system needs to be active for a longer period of time before it starts to beep.

12. davidbw

davidbw Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I just discovered that if you want to hang up your dry cleaning or other clothing, and you don't want to block any of the passenger windows you can pull out either of the left or right rear passenger headrests and pull it forward, so it is horizontal. You can then hang clothing on to either of the headrest pillars.

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    cool! i may do that just to see better out the back.

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    this isn't totally pip, but i like how you can hold the mode up/down arrows to scroll thru a song. couldn't do that on my 08 pkg 2 and it was frustrating.

15. GCPExit12

GCPExit12 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The slot for stowing the trunk cover is perfect size for stowing a full size umbrella.

I would advise against stowing a wet umbrella immediately after use because it would be dripping right on the charging cable...but the charging cable is designed to be weatherproof so it should theoretically be okay!

BTW, can someone tell me what i'm supposed to do with the strap in the plastic bag? stow umbrella.jpg

terrylowe likes this.
  16. sdtundra

sdtundra Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It is used to hold the tire down in the cargo area on the regular lift back Prius as a regular size flat tire won't fit in the well but not too sure on the PiP since theres no spare...

17. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    That's great! I'd do that myself, except it never rains here.

GCPExit12 likes this.
  18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sure, rub it in.

GCPExit12 and Rebound like this.
  19. chesleyn

chesleyn Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I never put my charger in there as I am always using it and I have the heavy rubber matt in the back and
    for the floor matts. (Tend to drag dirt around and didn't want to ruin my carpet).

Question.. can we fit a doughnut spare in that space?

20. Totmacher

Totmacher Honey Badger don't give a carp

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Okay people have covered most the cool nifty stuff but I got a few super small complaints. Please enlighten me if any can be fixed.

1 Disc Changer - Not a big problem, CD's are pretty dead these days but I was shocked to pop it open and see it was not a multi disc like my wife’s 2011 IV with Nav.

HUD Brightness - I drive with Sun Glasses most of the time and the brightness is ok when you turn the HUD brightness all the way up. But what i don't like is that it switches back to the middle settings when the car turns off. So every time i get in it I have to pump it up to full again. Also I haven’t figured out the method of it. You can't just push it once, you have to like push it and hold it for 3-5 seconds for it to kick up to the full bright setting. I wish it would default to the last position used.

DRCC - My Dynamic Radar Cruise Control likes to be off by 1-2 MPH. I have tested it by locking it in like just on the cusp of speeding from 64 to 65 and it will lock in at 65 but the car will go 66/67. Theory being if i lock it in at 65.6 - 65.9 MPH it shows 65 but car goes 66. This dosen’t look to be true which baffles me.

A/C pre-cool and 2 keys - I haven't been able to replicate it but I have noticed the A/C pre cool can lock me out from using my hand to unlock the doors. I'm pretty sure it has to do with 2 sets of keys as I have only noticed it when my keys are in my pocket and the wife’s keys are in the diaper bag. Also this has allowed me to lock a set of keys in the car. Kind of bummed it doesn’t pull from 110 on a 1 for 1 basis (AKA it uses less then it charges). I'm hopeful on 220 this is case though. On 110 my experience is with the car set to 75 it comes on, runs for 10 minutes, then needs to charge an additional 10-15 minutes after to top the car back off.

Rear right hidden compartment - What the heck goes in it?!?!? My OCD is killing me on this one.

Ntune - The charge management works probably 90% of the time. The AC works maybe 20% of the time. I haven’t figured this one out yet though...

Solar Moon Roof - I love the Sun Roof in the wife’s car and the solar roof. Really wish this was an option. Both are things you don't realize how much you use/love them until they are gone.

Again nothing on the list is critical in any means. I'm just pointing out some small gripes since most the cool stuff has been listed in this thread. Really the HUD thing is the only one that remotely bothers me.