1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Nebraska Judge Says 128 mph Not 'Reckless'

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by tag, Dec 8, 2005.

1. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    He did- the cop car :lol:

2. tag

tag Senior Member

Hey, I think the judge did. No need for counsel. :lol:

3. tag

tag Senior Member

You have a point but only at speeds that don't sort of shock one's conscience. I mean, is there no threshold speed beyond which you would just presume someone was driving in a reckless manner? What would it be? 150 MPH? 200 MPH? Mach 2?

4. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

No, it absolutely applies here.

How does it not apply here? From the standpoint of anyone other than himself, it's precisely the same thing. Assume, for a moment, he smashed into another car and killed the only occupant, the driver. Who's to say if the driver left his house 2 seconds later that day would have initiated a sequence of events that put him on that road after, or before, any potential harm? Or who's to say he would have avoided a collision if he drifted 6 inches to the right?

Recently, up here in MA, a real tragedy occurred. On a road I drive twice a day, a pregnant woman and her unborn child were killed when one person on the other side of the highway, engaged in a speed contest, lost control, and went tumbling across the median, went airborne, and landed right on top of her car, that just happened to be at the wrong place at the wrong time.

100% chance, freak occurrance from her standpoint, the victim's standpoint, which is the most appropriate as, obviously, it's their life.

However, I do need to add, from their standpoint, and from their relationship against the public, they were absolutely reckless, and should have their license pulled forever.

5. bookrats

bookrats New Member

I'm a bit confused by this article.

Depending on how "reckless driving" is defined (legally, in Nebraska), I could see how this guy could be ruled innocent of "reckless driving".

However, how could he not be fined for speeding?

6. tag

tag Senior Member

He wasn't charged with speeding. They chose to charge him with reckless driving probably figuring, at 128 MPH, they could make it stick. Of course, it didn't.

7. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Regardless of whether I agree with the interpretation, the judge in that case was following precedent set by the Nebraska Supreme Court in the following cases:

State v. Brown, 258 Neb. 330, 603 N.W.2d 419 (1999)

State v. Howard, 253 Neb. 523, 527, 571 N.W.2d 308, 313 (1997)

State v. DiLorenzo, 181 Neb. 59, 146 N.W.2d 791 (1966)

8. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It seems that you've turned it on it's head and you're looking at it from the victims point of view, not the defendant's. The victim isn't on trial. The question is whether the defendant was acting recklessly, not the victim. The fact is that the defendant put himself in a position that he could not reasonably guarantee his own or anyone else's safety as the result of his actions. The MA tragedy that you mentioned highlights the same thing. The people racing their cars were not acting in a way that they could reasonably insure the saftey of those around them based on their actions. The victim, in a way, couldn't either because she failed to avoid the accident. But she did everything she reasonably could to minimize the risk to herself and those around her.

9. tag

tag Senior Member

True:

"...In short, whether Howard was driving 80 miles per hour or 120 miles per hour would not, in and of itself, determine whether he violated § 60-6,213...."

State v. Howard, 253 Neb. 523, 527, 571 N.W.2d 308, 313 (1997)

Absolutely nuts, but true.

10. Schmika

Schmika New Member

In defense of those saying the Judge was wrong...it is the Judge who determines whether the speeders actions fit the definition. I didn;t read the Nebraska case, but if it JUST said speed alone cannot be used, the Judge could have stated other facts such as another car on the road (the cop) the average reaction time multiplied by the speed..etc and found him guilty. That takes a lot of work and he might get overturned on appeal (Judges hate that).

In defense of those saying the Judge was right, well, others have spoken up and explained it quite well.

In Ohio, state law says double the speed limit is "prima facie" reckless, so 110 in a 55 zone will do it, but 128 in a 65 zone will not.

This goes back to points about the law I have made before...what many of us think...just ain't so.

11. slortz

slortz New Member

I agree. He should have been slapped with whatever penalty is appropriate for someone exceeding the speed limit to the extent that he was. It makes no sense talking about "what if" victims in this case.
    I've been to traffic court (granted in Hawaii, not Nebraska but I'm assumingly relative similarity) for a speeding ticket. I got to see a whole panel of people go before the judge and have justice meted out. Most of these people were there for the same reason, speeding. Depending on how much they were exceeding the posted limit and whether there were other recent violations the judge would be more or less harsh. All the people that were going 30mph plus over the speed limit, he suspended their licenses and ordered them to traffic school and possibly community service.
    In other words, the guy speeding in this case probably could have been hit with penalties like this if the police officer/DA or whoever else was involved in determining the how to bring the guy up on charges had been honest about what the guy was doing...speeding. Instead, the prosecutors probably felt like they could nail this guy with even stiffer penalties if they went for a reckless driving charge instead of just speeding. Seems like they gambled and lost.

12. 2Hybrids

2Hybrids New Member

...mmm, do you think he was getting the EPA posted mileage for the bike at that speed?.. :D

13. tripp

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    If he didn't he should turn to Heraldo for justice!

14. tripp

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    If that were true we wouldn't need lawyers! :lol: :p :lol:

Good points. I was wondering when you'd chime in.

15. Mystery Squid

There's a lesson to be learned here:

don't speed.

Or,

don't get caught...

:ph34r:

16. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't even know where to start here. This is such a self-rightous narrow point of view.

1)I agree that it is possible to speed responsibly...at maybe 5-10mph over the speed limit or on a closed course specifically set up to allow for high speeds. But 128mph on a public roadway is not, ever, responsible or safe.

2)I couldn't care less if you go out and kill yourself...ok, I do care and would rather you didn't, but I'm not out to control how you live your life....until such point that it could endanger the life or well being of others or when it begins to cost me and my fellow tax-payers to treat your injuries should you fail to successfully kill yourself.

3)At 128mph, no matter how wonderful you think your driving skills are, you simply can't react quickly enough to avert accidents that could arise from unexpected circumstances. In my experience (12 years as an ER physician) the vast majority of accidents I see are not from individuals who are otherwise awake, alert, sober, etc having accidents of their own creation. The vast majority are from those same sober drivers encountering something unexpected with no ability to react. The dog that runs in the roadway, the unexpected pot-hole, another car slows unexpectedly or pulls into the roadway.

4)Your cavilier attitude is great...right up to the moment you realize that your tough-guy attitude is what killed the innocent 3 year old in the car that was pulling out on the other side of that blind curve you've driven 100 times. Had you been going 55 there would have been plenty of time to slow and react to take action to avert the accident. Unfortunately at 100mph that reaction time is halfed and it could be just that split second that makes the difference.

Once again, I've seen you flaunt your better-than-thou attitude with how your sport ridding skills allow you to do idiotic things on public roads, but those "other guys" are a real danger. But, sir, you are as much a danger as they are. Again, you put yourself on a closed course then more power to you. I'm awed by you guys that can control a bike that way and do all the jumps and wheelies and tricks and handle that speed in such a fantastic way. I truely am. I know I don't have that skill and it's fascinating to watch.

But once you hit the public roads those same fascinating skills become public dangers. All the bravado in the world won't make that 3 year old any less dead.

Oh, and the sophomoric arguement about stepping outside your door. Clearly we all accept some level of risk and danger in our daily lives. When I mountain climbing I'm accepting some risk. But if I fall in a crevase I've not hurt anyone else...at least no anyone else who hasn't accepted the same risk that I did. But the same can't be said for the roadway. We accept the risk of other drivers not being as skilled as us, but we do expect them to stay within the general vicinity of the posted speed limits and to obey stop signs/lights...it's part of the calculation of that risk. But when someone goes far outside those limits all bets are off and it makes our original risk assessment totally different. If I knew others would/could drive 128mph on certain public roadways I would avoid those at all costs.

17. Mystery Squid

You really don't like me do you doc? :p

The only one being narrow minded here is you.

And this comment, is precisly indicative of it:

"But 128mph on a public roadway is not, ever, responsible or safe."

If you refuse to think or believe there are no exceptions to this, please, I hope I never end up in your ER with some sort of injury that requires you to think outside the box.

There's a right time and place for everything. There are roads out there, PUBLIC roads, for which you CAN hit those speeds, if only momentarily, or even sustained, all depends upon the situation. I can think of two stretches, right now, in my local area, and one in Florida where such is possible. Pavement quality is great (you use a "spotter" to check out pavement first, before making any runs), excellent visibility all the way around, and no traffic. But, of course, this shouldn't be done because the sign says so, and of course, who am I to judge. :rolleyes: Of course, I need not go further with this argument. Unlike you, I don't restrict my thinking to what others say...

Thanks for the soliloquy-style dramatics, it was very heartfelt... Maybe when you can remove your personal bias of me (from day one when I posted the snail penis chewing thread), we can have a non-condescending discussion. ;)

18. Mystery Squid

Then stay off the Howard-Franklin bridge that connects Tampa to Clearwater, should you ever be down there for a medical conference... Anyone with a performance vehicle usually can't resist a good run on it when it's clear. I've been witness to a few that came close to the 200mph mark...

19. 2Hybrids

2Hybrids New Member

well then, I guess that makes it okay.

If anyone else is out there by chance, and happens to get in the way, it is their own fault.....right?

20. Mystery Squid

If you can't accept the possibilty such circumstances exist, there is not point in agruing.