1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Nebraska Judge Says 128 mph Not 'Reckless'

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by tag, Dec 8, 2005.

1. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just because you think you can go out with a 'spotter' and make an individual decision that what you're doing is responsible and safe doesn't make it so. You can take selective quotes as you wish and I, indeed, tried to point out that it is not the speed that I'm against, but the irresponsible application of it on public roadways. I'm a very well traveled person and have been to many places like you've described where the likelyhood of a problem are very small. But they're not zero. You can't account for that farmer that pulls out from a fenced area you didn't take into account, or the animal that crosses the road. This idiot going 128mph is a perfect example...I'm sure he felt confident there wasn't anyone else on the road...he was wrong. Just b/c you haven't up to now, encountered something unexpected or been caught or hurt someone else doesn't mean you won't/can't and all that self-serving rationalization won't do you a bit of good when it happens.

See above as goes your ascinine last sentence.
    And there is NOT a right time and place for "everything". Tell me a right time and place for murder of an innocent child...or how about sexual abuse of same. There are those who do those things and rationalize them too. I suggest that there is never a right time or place for anything that puts at risk innocents for the sole purpose of the thrill of the offender.

No dramatics intended...hard to post in any way but a soliloquy, but if you know of another method I'll entertain it.

No personal feelings against you, just your self-rightous know-it-all-like-a-teenager attitude. Just because someone has the audacity to question your posts doesn't mean they have anything against you, but it does mean there's another point of view. It doesn't make that person closed minded or a cog in the wheel of the system--you seem to think that if someone thinks differently than you do that the reason is just that--can't think outside the box, part of the system, closed minded. You have no idea.

2. 2Hybrids

2Hybrids New Member

Squid - you are incredible, and never cease to amaze me.

But alas, you are right. And I'm going to change my mindset right now and start thinking outside the box. To hell with all those beliefs (laws) that have been thrust upon me throughout the years.

I've got to go now...I got a liquor store to rob. On my way home, I'm going to stop by the local middle school to get me a girl.

It's okay though. The liquor store clerk accepted the risk of getting shot....and the little girl accepted the risk of being molested which made it okay that I "thought outside the box". Would this still be okay if one or both of them were members of your immediate family?

3. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

<_<

Wow, talk about going over-board on semantics... Obviously, time and place for "everything" does not include heinous acts by any means. :rolleyes:

Can't make everyone happy I guess.. :lol:

4. slortz

slortz New Member

This thread seems to be an argument now about whether speeding (5, 25, 50 mph over the limit?) should be inherently defined as reckless.
    I think for the purposes of the law it is better not to always tie these two things together. Someone can be driving recklessly (ex. swerving all over the road) and still be going the speed limit. Someone could be exceeding the speed limit and not necessarily driving recklessly. I think Schmika pointed out something about Ohio law that says that at some extreme level beyond the speed limit then it is an automatic that that person will be considered driving recklessly. That seems reasonable...now it is just a matter of agreeing on where to set that level.
    In this situation with the Nebraska speeder, it seems many responding to this thread feel that he should have been hit with the reckless driving charge. Well, I don't think many would say that if he was going 2 mph over the limit then it should be considered reckless driving cause then just about all of us would be guilty of reckless driving on a daily basis. What it comes down to is a matter of where you set that automatic crossover level when X mph over the limit=reckless driving. Now we get into legislation, voting, some consensus or at least majority decision.
    :)

5. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry man, just trying to "think outside the box", as you suggested.
    :blink:

6. slortz

slortz New Member

Oh yeah, and I forgot to say, "blipity blahbiddy do whop shoo waaaaa!"
    Hehe, that was just to reach 100 posts. :D

7. tag

tag Senior Member

Yep! However, in Illinois doing 40 or more over on a highway and reckless driving (defined separately) are both Class A misdemeanors which renders it unnecessary to connect excessive speed with recklessness.

8. 2Hybrids

2Hybrids New Member

And that, my friend, is why we have such laws in place. Choosing which ones to obey and which to break is the reason the citation and penal system are in place - to prevent similar occurance or to refrain from them ever happening again.....to protect the public and so that law abiding citizens can exercise their right to live long, healthy lives.

Every action has a consequence.

9. aka007ii

aka007ii New Member

Now that was reckless posting.

10. 2Hybrids

2Hybrids New Member

yeah...but thankfully, no one got hurt this time. :D

11. Mystery Squid

In the ideal world, yes. However, the bad guy really does tend to win. I've got a 70%-80% chance of beating any ticket/fine/penalty I get, should I get caught. This is based on my personal performance in various Magristrate offices, and Judicial Appeals over the last 6 years. Some wins were offenses I'm sure you'd consider far serious than I, for when it comes down to it, it's nothing but a pissing match of who can out "detail" who. B) You want to know how perverse it is? I've seen cops leave the courtroom with their heads down in utter disgust as to how some punk kid they pulled over, put them through the wringer, and won.

I'm not trying to brag, I'm just stating a fact. Your perception of this matter is naive at best.

12. jchu

jchu New Member

I agree whole heartedly with Evan's Posts to this thread as with others who agree that 128 mph on the public roadways is inherently reckless. (That 40 mph can also be reckless has no bearing on this point.)

What puzzles me, Mystery Squid, is your presence in this thread as the Prius is such a non-performance car.

13. Mystery Squid

<_<

:D

14. Potential Buyer

Potential Buyer New Member

As the article stated, the judge would have ruled guilty in those conditions. Anyway this was actually an issue of semantics -- speeding is already illegal and obviously the guy was speeding and would have paid a large fine for going... 50? mph over the speed limit. But the cops didn't give him a speeding ticket! They charged him for reckless driving instead, and the judge ruled he wasn't necessarily being reckless.

15. pkjohna

pkjohna Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    It's a moot point in Virginia where by definition if you're going more than 20 over the limit it's reckless driving. Never mind the fact that it might be a limited access divided highway with the limit set to 30 and you're going 50. Oh the horror of driving 50 -- it's purely a revenue generating gimmick.

Another reality is that in many places it's much more dangerous to drive the speed limit and to stay with the traffic.

16. Mystery Squid

Nope. Some people here think the law is the law, that sign says go 65, you go 65, for it's set that way for a reason, with tons of supportable research behind it. :lol:

17. Mystery Squid

look, all I'm trying to get through here is that there's a big difference between what we're led to believe, and just how damn dangerous being out on the road is. Likewise with the belief the justice system in situations as such will likely prevail.

It's kind of like COPS, by watching it, you get the impression the law is far more effective than it really is. My concern would be that pool of people who DON'T get caught...

:ph34r:

18. 2Hybrids

2Hybrids New Member

My perception is quite clear on this issue.

It is quite clear that you have a history with the court system and have managed to con your way out of some situations in which you broke the law instead of "fessing-up" to your actions.

The perception is clear that you have little to no respect for authority, whether it be law enforcement, the courts, seniors, peers, etc. It's all about yourself and your perception that you are somehow above the law.

The perception is clear that you are probably about 21-22 years old and have lived a spoiled life, been given everything you wanted, and were never disciplined.

The perception is clear that respect for other human beings was never morally established in your life. Your actions, and how they effect those around you, either directly or indirectly are not considered in your decision making process.

As a Navy Chief of 20 years, I've seen kids like you come and go - mostly go. They felt they were above the law which endangered other people and were counterproductive. Though this society in which we live is definately not a military organization by far, they are both parallels on the same course.

If you still believe that I am niave on this issue - you have a lifetime of catch-up to do, and many courses in the school of hard knocks yet to take.

Back to the subject - though speed and reckless driving are not always related and there are grey areas on how they could be tied together, I feel that the speed WAS reckless. Just because a lawyer found a loophole doesn't make it right. The Judge has then set a precedence - which could have far reaching effects.

19. Mystery Squid

"Con"? Absolutley not. Not my fault if the cop doesn't take enough notes, or gets blindsided with some question/situation he's not prepared for, which ultimately results in the loss.

The "fessin-up" concept is hilarious. Do you think for one moment you would be extended the same courtesy if the situation were reversed? I've seen cops flat out lie, or attempt to twist situations to their advantage, if for no reason, simply so they can win. Obvsiously, not all, but I'd peg it at 40% if I had to make a rough estimate. I have no problems reciprocating.

You're right on with the respecting authority case. That's why I could never tolerate the military. If you told me to drop and do 20, I won't BS you, I'd give you the finger. This whole "let's be humble" philosophy makes me sick.

20. pkjohna

pkjohna Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Research smesearch, it's set that way as a deterrent knowing that most people will be going 10-15 miles over and they are afraid that if they set it higher people will go that much faster (plus they get more revenue from speeding tickets).

"Minimum Speed Limit: No person shall drive a motor vehicle at such a slow speed as to impede the normal and reasonable movement of traffic"

You can actually get a ticket for going too slow, especially in the left lane.