1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Necessary to replace brake fluid actuator pump?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by lotto, Feb 19, 2014.

1. lotto

lotto Junior Member

My 2007 Prius (151,000 miles) just started making what sounds like a scraping sound when in motion. This does not happen every time I drive it. The dealership said I need to replace the brake fluid actuator pump. He quoted the cost of the part as $1,900; with labor, the total repair is $2,500.

Has anyone had this repair done? He couldn't really tell me what would happen if I don't have it fixed. He said perhaps the power brakes would go out, or maybe the anti-lock brake system. Either way, I don't want to mess with possible brake failure. But the cost of this repair is so high, and my car already has 151,000 miles. I'd love to drive it to 300,000 miles if I can, but am I being realistic? I'm wondering if it's worth investing this much money in a car with so many miles.

Your advice is appreciated!

2. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Get a second opinion......or two.
    A scarping noise usually just means that it is time for brake pads or maybe just
    a brake cleaning.

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Are any warning lights on? If not, I don't think the brake actuator is the problem.

4. lotto

lotto Junior Member

No, there is no warning light. In fact, the car isn't making noise anymore. I had the brakes and tires checked and they are okay. I'm considering not doing anything right now. I'm going to at least get a second opinion.

5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No point in getting a second opinion until the noise returns. Maybe the problem was a small stone stuck in a disc caliper, and the stone fell out.

6. lotto

lotto Junior Member

That's what I'm thinking. I live in Chicago and we just got a huge snowstorm over the weekend. The car was a mess with ice, dirt, etc. I'm thinking it could have been debris.

Thanks for your advice!