1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need a backup camera for aftermarket Android unit in 2010 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Jaydoc, Nov 8, 2015.

1. Jaydoc

Jaydoc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi

I have read through several aftermarket camera installation threads, but most of them seem to be installed in cars that already had head units with a nav screen. I have a 2010 Prius III with no navigation. I am planning to install one of those Chinese Android head units in my Prius. I would love to get rearview camera that is compatible with these sort of head units. I have seen several offered along with such units, but do not want to buy a camera that no one here has any experience installing. I don't want to have use a drill on my car, so are there cameras that can be fitted without having to drill?

Also, do all these ebay cameras have voltage regulators that need to be modified in order to work with the Prius power supply?

Thanks.

2. Dylan Doxey

Dylan Doxey Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I got the Toyota camera kit and it works perfectly with my stereo from China.
    see: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CD4242I

3. Tha_Stig

Tha_Stig New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    CCD Color Car Rear View Reverse Parking Safety Kits Camera for Toyota Prius 2012 | eBay

I purchased this backup camera and have had it in for about a month now with great results. Clips right into the OEM spot and comes with all the wires. the camera has a clear image and has the guide built in. I also have an android HU from china and love it. If you know anything about android, there is a huge community for the device over on XDA. Malasyk's ROM for this unit makes it a great addition to the prius.

No drilling required with this camera, only unsnapping the molded interior panels on the car. super simple, takes about an hour to install the camera and 20 minutes for the device. Very plug and play.

Dylan Doxey likes this.
  4. Jaydoc

Jaydoc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    @Dylan Doxey doxey and @Tha_Stig

Thanks for the responses. I will order the ebay camera, and try my luck. @Tha_Stig... which HU did you buy? I have heard that some of these Chinese units can be updated to newer Android versions and others can't. I have modded with my previous Nexus phones and love custom ROMs from XDA.

#4 Jaydoc, Nov 9, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2015
  5. Dylan Doxey

Dylan Doxey Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I carelessly got a HU based on WindowsCE. What a mistake. That thing sucks. Getting an Android replacement is definitely in my modding queue.

Starbrand likes this.
  6. Tha_Stig

Tha_Stig New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I got the one from the android unit thread. Mr. Chen is the guy's name on aliexpress. I also have put a custom ROM on it and updated the MCU myself as well as a bunch of other tinkering within the unit's software. There is a dauntingly huge thread over on XDA-Developers that is very very very very worth reading through. Most to all of it wont make sense initially, but will become familiar as you tinker with the unit. The way it comes from the seller is usable, but putting Malaysk's ROM on it makes it way better.

I also got the upgraded screen, processor, memory options as well. I haven't had any issues with it.

One thing to note is that some people on the XDA forum have had issues with the unit, but keep in mind that everyone has different vehicles and headunits made by different manufacturers (there are something like 5 different makers and it depends on your vehicle). If you order the unit from Eric Chen on aliexpress you will get the HuiFei HU version and not the other, less popular one.

Dylan Doxey likes this.
  7. Jaydoc

Jaydoc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    @Tha_Stig , thanks. I ordered a camera from a seller on Aliexpress, similar to the one in your post. Will post details after I finish the install.

Dylan Doxey likes this.
  8. Tha_Stig

Tha_Stig New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Sounds good man, good luck! Don't forget the reverse trigger wire! And to get the video RCA through the rubber connector between the hatch and car use a silicone lubricant to get it to slide through, its a very tight squeeze.

Dylan Doxey likes this.
  9. Jaydoc

Jaydoc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi

I received my unit and it looks good. I have one question though. Is there any way to power up this unit before installing it in the car so I can get the ROM updated in my apartment?