1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need a charger 2015 prius plug in

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Julesriez98, Nov 14, 2022.

1. Julesriez98

Julesriez98 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Hello there, i just bought a 2015 prius plug in with 159,000 miles. The previous owner for whatever reason didn't have the charger cable, nor did the dealership.

I have been looking for a universal at home charger cable from Amazon in the 140$-250$ range. I understand somewhat I need a level 1 charger and it takes 3 hours to charge, but I don't know the voltage and amps to get and I don't want to make a mistake and blow up the circuit in my house Lmao

Any help/links would be greatly appreciated

2. nicoj36

nicoj36 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just search 'prius' under the question box in the chargers u see in Amazon. You should see reviews from other Prius owners and they usually say their year/generation and how they like the charger.

3. LeviSmith

LeviSmith Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Pretty much any J1772 EVSE (What you'd call a charger cable) should be fine.
    Basically the PIP(Plug In prius) is at the bottom end of charging requirements.
    The only thing you'd possibly consider is buying something higher power for a future car. (which would be fairly likely to require upgrades to your house to supply more power)

The EVSE is basically a smart extension cord, so you don't have to worry about too big or small as far as your car. If it has a higher capacity than your car then you just won't be using the full capacity of the EVSE. If the EVSE has a lower capacity than your car, then your car would just charge slower.

That said, as far as burning down your house goes, that's more to do with the outlets where you'll be charging. I'm guessing we're talking about a 120V EVSE. The car will more or less be like leaving a hair dryer or heater at full power for 2-3 hours. So, you'll want to make sure your outlet can support a good 15amps continuously and has a good connection, etc. If you've got other items on the same circuit that draw much power, you'd be likely to trip a breaker. It's not a bad idea to keep an eye on/check periodically when you start charging just to make sure that plug/outlet, etc aren't getting excessively hot, etc. from some weak point you weren't aware of.

Levi