1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need a little advice, buying used.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Coqui, Dec 23, 2014.

1. Coqui

Coqui Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hello everyone, hoping I can get a bit of advice and some opinions.

I've been driving an 03 Explorer and it just keeps breaking down, so it's time to upgrade instead of continuing to waste money on it. I've looked at many other cars and I keep falling back to the Prius. My budget is at about $10,500 including everything, going to transfer my license plate over.

My main question here is if it would be better to pick a newer Prius (2010, 2011) with over 100K miles or an older Prius with less miles (I found an 08 with 56K)? I don't drive a lot and would say around 10K miles a year.

I know used Prius come with the risk of an expensive repair, but unfortunately being a tall guy I don't fit in any of the cheaper cars like a Corolla. All the other cars I have found are similar in price and condition, so I'm finding it hard to choose something like an Altima, Optima or Camry of similar age and mileage.

Any advice/opinions are welcome, thanks.

2. GKuma

GKuma Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I guess by expensive repairs mean the hybrid batteries. I have 07 with 230k miles, still same batteries.

I personally think the battery problems are overblown. However, I live in Los Angeles where the temperature doesn't go below 35F

3. irrational

irrational Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    IMHO view the potential battery replacement "risk" similar to other wear items on conventional cars (e.g. clutches, timing belts, etc). Those aren't cheap to replace either. Also, like GKuma, I think the reality of battery replacement is far less likely than the fear.

#3 irrational, Dec 23, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2014
  4. Coqui

Coqui Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks for the replies. That was the opinion I was forming too, and considering the cars I can drive and fit into comfortably are more expensive than the cheaper alternatives usually recommended here, it seems like the best bet. The weather here in Florida seems to be good on the Prius too.

If you were buying another Prius, would buy an older one with less mileage or a newer one with more?

5. irrational

irrational Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That depends. I looked at used Prii before I bought mine, and to get a Gen 3 with 50K or less miles, I'd have to pay around $17-18K... Between such a small gap compared to new, less miles, more warranty, etc, I just sprung for new. BUT.... my budget was entirely different from yours, and I didn't even consider a Gen 2 (no reason, other than I wanted something "newer").

If my budget was in line with yours, I'd be very tempted by the '08 with 56K miles. The low miles, coupled with your 10K/year driving means that you've many years ahead of you before anything major needs attention. Not saying the Gen 3 wouldn't either, but at 10K/year, a 100K mile 2010/2011 Prius is effectively older than the '08 (e.g. those Gen 3's are only a couple of years newer, but have far greater than your two year average of additional miles on the odometer versus the '08).

BUT... all this comes from someone who's never owned, driven, nor really researched the Gen 2 Prius... so, hopefully someone more educated in those matters can weigh in.

Best of luck, you'll love it regardless of which one you get!

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i would prefer an older one with lower mileage. i think most prius parts wear by miles driven, more than years old. and 2008 and 9 were great model years. my daughters '08 (used to be mine) is a real workhorse at 85,000 miles or so, nothing but oil, tyres, filters and recalls. all the best!(y)

7. GKuma

GKuma Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    One
    My preference is for older, my wife has a '12 - I like the older for better visibility (side) also simpler dash.

But again, that's me.

8. Yakoma

Yakoma Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  9. alekska

alekska Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    If it were me, I would go with 2010 with higher mileage. Gen 3 is a better car overall. No bladder in fuel tank, bigger engine, better mpg, better screen and dash . Worn mechanical parts can be replaced if needed, if you decide to keep it for a long time.
    P.s. I have both 2005 and 2010 models in family, so I can compare.
    Alex

10. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This really comes down to what fits you best...being a tall person. I find my 2010 has more standard legroom than the 2008 model. With the seat all the way back, there seems to be more room on the 2010.

The 2008 will also give you better gas mileage if you do a lot of around town driving (city). It has a smaller engine and is more efficient in city driving. The 2010 will be better if you do lots of highway driving.

I like the idea of the 2008 with lower miles. The battery will need replacement at some point but if you budget $2500 for a NEW replacement, that will probably be the only big expense you will see in about 10 years (if you do 10k a year). You may need to replace a water pump, wheel bearing, or coolant valve......but those are minor issues to worry about.

11. brucebee

brucebee Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I like being able to sleep in my 04, ithas been said that you cannot put seats down in the 3 model. is this true? Otherwise the newer prius sound better in every way.

12. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The back seats in the Gen3 fold down and the front passenger seat reclines enough for comfortable snoozing.

13. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I was looking at Tampa Craigslistthe other day
    And there's alot of 2007 and 08 with low miles pretty
    Cheap. The bottom has really tanked on used
    Prius with the low gas prices.
    Its good u can swap plates as new plates are $400
    in Florida.

14. brucebee

brucebee Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    thanks for the post abou8t the gen 3, yes with gas this cheap it does make less sense to own a prius. but how long will this last.

15. brucebee

brucebee Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    befor i bought my prii, looked at cars that were posted on craigslist for about a month, almost all were misrepresentd, been in wreck; major work done, repainted etc. etc. have bought other things off craigslist with good results. jimN how is a V for camping/sleeping in nev er been in one

16. TampaPrius.com

TampaPrius.com Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You can't go wrong with either one if it has been maintained. I personally prefer the gen2 and for your money you can get nav, leather, 3 button smart key and camera if these are options you care about. You can also spend $7-8k and get a great car and keep some money in the bank for possible future repairs.

When you find one you like I will do an inspection for you (no charge). I'm in Tampa, not too far away.

17. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Oh not long....you cant go wrong buying a G2. Get a low mile G2. Pick one up from TampaPrius.com he gets some nice cars and has been here a while now..

Article today about how hard Texas economy is going to get hit since gas is so cheap. Gotta slow down production there boy....

18. JimN

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Bruce, I don't go camping. My "camping" consists of dropping the passenger seat to catch some sleep at a rest stop on an Interstate. A knit hat pulled down over my eyes, two stadium blankets covering my legs & torso, and one rolled up for a pillow and I'm good to go. For more comfort the car could be left running but I don't want to burn the gas and the engine starting up would probably bother me.

I'll pack water or tea, chips, crackers, maybe a sandwich. I keep a tray in the car. There's more room in the back seat to eat but since that is usually folded down for cargo the front seat works well enough.

The Gen3 may be a bit bigger, may be a bit more comfortable but the Gen2 had a lot of bang for the buck.

19. Coqui

Coqui Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I want to thank everyone for all the replies and the offer for the free inspection. After putting everything into consideration and the fact that I plan to keep this car for a long while I think it will be worth to go for a Gen 3 for the updated gadgets and what sounds like a bit more space. I'll most likely up my budget and get one with less mileage.

20. JimN

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    You're still in the ballpark for a 2010. Decide what you really want in the car. There is some change to the features every model year so check the brochures. Some combinations of Level & Option Package are going to be tough to find but they are out there.