1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need a little help

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Ryanjim, Apr 12, 2023.

1. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Pretty sure the P3020 is just telling you the HV battery problem is in Block 10, which is the 19th and 20th module from the non-ecu end of the battery. This is just what the ecu has picked up on most recently. There are likely other blocks with problems, like block 1.

The P0A09 is saying the DC-DC converter has a too high or too low input. The DC-DC converter gets it's input from the HV battery and converts it to a lower voltage to supply the 12v bus. Kind of like an electronic alternator. Could very well just be related to your HV battery problems.

#21 TMR-JWAP, Apr 14, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2023
  2. Ryanjim

Ryanjim New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I called about getting the HV battery replaced and was told that, based on the codes, the inverter needs to be replaced first. Got a quote for $1160 for a used OEM inverter. My question is, if the inverter is bad, would the car be able to drive? Any possibility this could be because of the inverter pump instead? Thanks!

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It's important to check the details of the code though, because the 'input' the code is talking about is not the power 'input' the converter gets from the traction battery. The 'input' the code is talking about is the NODD signal, which the converter and the HV control ECU use to communicate with each other. It uses ordinary electronics-friendly voltages to convey things like "normal operation" (5 to 7 volts), "abnormal operation" (2 to 4), or "stop converting" (0.1 to 0.5).

So the code means a weird signal voltage on that NODD line; it doesn't mean a weird input voltage from the battery. The first thing the manual suggests checking is the wiring and connections on that signal line.

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Oops, I missed that the subcode-591 version is talking about the VLO signal instead of NODD. Thanks.

Kind of off-topic, but looking at the diagram from the 265 workup, any electronics geeks with an opinion on why they decided to invert into a transformer and rectify, instead of using a direct buck configuration as they do in the boost converter for the powertrain? Maybe the larger voltage difference, and to give the output capacitor an easier life?

cvt.png

I think I've convinced myself the choice of a center-tapped secondary allowed them to have just one diode drop involved in the output at any one time.

SFO likes this.