1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need a new ignition key, anyplace cheaper than Toyota?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Pinksand, Jul 12, 2011.

1. Pinksand

Pinksand New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just got my Prius recently, and they only had one key to give to me. I got the price from Toyota (I think it was about $375) for a second key to be made, and I was wondering if there is anyplace that we can get a key made for less? Anyplace we can go besides Toyota? :eek:

Thanks!

2. jpadc

jpadc Type before I think too often

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PC

Sorry, but the short answer is no if what you have and want is "SKS" key. You will see that the key for the car is called a FOB. This type of FOB is used when you have doors that unlock when you touch the handle. If you are okay with a non SKS key, you can get one on eBay and program it yourself using information on this forum.

The long answer is to do a search for SKS FOB on the forum and you will find lots of info on this

Google Advanced Search

3. Ryanpl

Ryanpl Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It may not be a SKS. op what color is the Toyota symbol on the back of your fob? If silver then it's sks if black then I believe you can buy a fob from fleabay.

4. Southern Dad

Southern Dad Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I've found several SKS keys on eBay but I was wondering how much it would cost to have one programed to my car.

5. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    To have the SKS functions work, it is generally cheaper to buy new keys, although there have been references to a new locksmith tool that can perform a seed reset without having to call Toyota. Do not buy used silver logo keys on Ebay unless you only intend for it to work like a black logo key.

$375 is a little steep for a new key. You should be looking at $200 + programming. Under $300 maybe? Any shop with Techstream Lite can add a new key, for the shop's minimum labor charge. But programming a used silver logo key, that generally requires an automotive locksmith with a TIS Security Professional subscription, and a $40 charge from Toyota for a new seed, and programming all keys from scratch.

Please remember everyone, this is the price for having a car that cannot be stolen except for being dragged onto a flatbed or if the thief gets the key from you.

6. LIPriusFreak

LIPriusFreak Can I haz JDM?

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    yeah but afterall, who's really gonna steal a prius? a frugal thief who doesn't wanna fill up the tank?

7. Southern Dad

Southern Dad Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thieves are usually not so worried about the mpg of the vehicle they are stealing.

8. Pinksand

Pinksand New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you so much for your replies!

Ok, here is my situation, I have a 2006 Prius (I believe it is a base package) with a key that must go into the dash to start the car. My handles don't open the car when you touch them, they are regular handles. I don't have the type of key that has to just be in the proximity of the car. The back of my key is a black logo.

I looked up my notes and the cost to get a new key given to me from Toyota Simi Valley, CA is $250 for the key and $125 for programming. They said to me that if I lose my existing key that it will then cost $300 instead of $125 for the programming, plus the cost of towing in the car, the hassle of being w/o a car etc. So it is much better to get a key now. So I am trying to find the cheapest way to get a fully functioning and best kind of key. If I need to go to the dealer, so be it, but we are really tight on money and I would appreciate any advice on where I should get a key, if dealer is best, then I will save up for that key there.

PS: If I can get one on ebay...is there any chance that thieves can steal the code I use to open my car? I have seen those reports where they can steal codes when you press your remote, if they are close by and then break into your car. I don't want a hokey key that will enable someone to break into my car, so if you think dealer is best, let me know.

Thanks so much!

9. LIPriusFreak

LIPriusFreak Can I haz JDM?

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

black logo= non-SKS key...buy it off ebay and following programming instructions here

10. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  11. MsLiz

MsLiz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I only got one smart key also. The local dealer charged me around $260 for a second one (didn't purchase the car from the dealer).
    Liz

12. 2Nutz

2Nutz New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just get a fleabay fob as suggested. Might have to buy a new battery for the fob, 3 or 4 bucks additional. Have a new physical key made for the fob, another 10 to 15 bucks. Reprogram as instructed and Done.

:)