1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need a replacement rim, preferrably from a salvage yard

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Mr. Humidity, Aug 23, 2021.

1. Mr. Humidity

Mr. Humidity Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II

My 2007 Prius needs a new rim (15 inch diameter, 185 mm width). I'd like to get a matching replacement as cheaply as possible, presumably from a salvage yard. I would welcome any advice on doing this.

I called a salvage yard my mechanic recommended but never heard back from them.

It seems like the way I'm most likely to get this rim is to go to a salvage yard, walk around and find it myself. Does that seem to be the case? I'm trying to replace a rim that's dinged and unbalanced. I would appreciate any suggestions on picking a salvaged rim that is not dinged itself (presumably choose a rim that's not close to the collision).

Thanks
    signal-2021-08-23-094233.jpeg

2. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  3. Mr. Humidity

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank you! That's a great tip. I am near one of those facilities and four Gen 2's came up. So I will update once I've made the fix. Thanks again!

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Spring for some aftermarket centre caps too?

5. Mr. Humidity

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Nah. When my first one fell off, I just took them all off. Same thing with the plastic watchamacallit that snaps onto the perimeter of the rim's spokes.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  6. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Best way to check rim warp/bent rim is to put it on the rear and spin it. You will instantly see the smallest run out.
    These are small light weight wheels they bend easy if you curb 'em good. My wifes car 3 so far.

And you need centercaps too if not the castlenut in there will rust really bad.Long time ago I filled that castlenut hole with grease and put the cap back on.