1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

need a spare keyless entry remote

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by ram, Sep 25, 2017.

1. ram

ram Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    hello all

My 2015 Prius Two arrived with only one keyless entry remote. some estimates I am getting are $250.00 from a local auto locksmith. Should I just go to the dealer? Is there a cheaper way to do this? a couple of web sites offer used, but re-flashed remotes taht one has to program and, of course, the metal key ahs to be recut.

thanks
    Ram

2. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Check with Toyota.
    Their price is the TOP.
    In most areas, a locksmith can do it for about half what Toyota charges.
    Since you have one working remote AND everything is presently working.......I think the $250 is WAY high; probably about what the dealer price is though.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you can buy a virgin fob on eBay, and 'chicken dance' the programming. some have had success, and there are threads here, if search is working.

4. Tande

Tande Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    II
    FWIW.....I've been down this road......Lost one of my key FOB's.......local locksmith ordered a OEM Toyota FOB, programmed it & cut the key; $225.00.......he told me his universal programmer cost $7,000 ( :eek: )......took about 30 min's of his time......I'm a happy camper...(y)

5. Manhal K Alrashdan

Manhal K Alrashdan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Down hear in Jordan , a spare FOB ( used but re programmed ) would cost around $90 or less.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

6. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    But shipping the car there and back to get it programmed would use up the savings...o_O

Cory19thFloor likes this.
  7. bobzchemist

bobzchemist Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have a question about this. There are a lot of aftermarket security/alarm systems that include remote entry and their own fobs. Would installing any of them work as well as buying a Toyota replacement for a Prius fob?

8. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    NO. WAY more complicated and expensive........and it might conflict with what is already there.

9. Jazzzzie

Jazzzzie New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I got a quote from a “discount locksmith” in NC and it was $312!!! Decided to just be really careful with the one key I have, at least for now

10. bobzchemist

bobzchemist Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Well, but...Best Buy charges $200 to install an alarm system, remote start, and keyless entry package. Adding the Viper Responder LC3 2-Way Remote Start and Security System costs another $350. (I'm just going with Best Buy here because they seem to be the only installers anywhere willing to post their prices online)

And, I was already willing to add a remote start system - I estimated it would cost about $200. So instead of paying $300 for a backup key fob and $200 for a remote start system, I can pay $550 for an integrated system that also adds an alarm. The extra $50 seems worth it. (Viper Viper Responder LC3 2-Way Remote Start and Security System, Tilt Switch, Module and Geek Squad Installation - Best Buy )

According to the Viper website, this system will work with the 2010 Prius. I won't even start saving up for it, though, if it would significantly mess up my precious Prii, since I do have both original fobs.

Anyone have any experience with Viper systems that can chime in here?

Oh, and for the OP, $240 over the cost of a replacement key for a Viper alarm and remote start system sounds like a really good deal to me. YMMV, of course.

Viper LCD 2-Way Security + Remote Start System

#10 bobzchemist, Oct 3, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
  11. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Pretty sure that I've seen quotes over $1000 if you lose both FOBs.
    And there is no "discount" source; only a dealer can do it.

12. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    eBay has numerous keyfobs for 2010-2015 Prius. The FCC ID is generally 14ACX, which is used on a variety of Toyota/Lexus. The mechanical keys vary, but the circuit board is the same. Used price is about $75, Unlocked/Virgin $90, New $260. Online Toyota dealers sell at a discount - haven't checked their prices lately.

The used keyfobs require a reseed process to program, a dealer/locksmith operation. Best deal is an "unlocked", "reflashed", or "virgin" unit. As long as you already have a functional keyfob, additional new/unlocked unit can be programmed with a chicken dance or Techstream.

13. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Note that used fobs may or may not come with a blank mechanical key. Cutting the mechanical key is a separate process that will cost extra.

14. Cory19thFloor

Cory19thFloor Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    again, Bisco. Thanks for the feedback from my previous posting on wheels/tires.

I've looked for the official definition of 'chicken dance' and have come up empty. Can you enlighten a newbie? :)

Thanks.

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'll look around to see if i can find it. it's the stuff about putting the seatbelt on, stepping on the brake, opening the door, headlights on/off 3 times, and etc.:p

Cory19thFloor likes this.
  16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    so far, from what i can find, chicken dance doesn't work on gen 3. you need tech stream. i'll keep looking.

17. Johnny Cakes

Johnny Cakes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I realize that this thread was just recently revived, but thought I'd chime in since no one responded to bobzchemist.

I have a remote start and keyless entry package, which was on my used Prius when I purchased it. It's great for starting the car and entering the car. But you need a REAL KEY present to actually drive the car.