1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need a tire? We're stocking them now... after I got a flat!

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by DianneWhitmire, Aug 9, 2012.

1. DianneWhitmire

DianneWhitmire High PRIUStess

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Well, I got a flat Saturday (my first flat tire since 2004) and my Yokohama had to be ordered... didn't get my wonderful car back till late Tuesday. GRR! I didn't mid driving the TRAC car with the HOV stickers but I prefer my own ride.

That got me to thinkin'.... because it's bound to happen to some of my many PHEV clients... a flat tire. You should be able to count on us having a tire for you instantly. I had my parts guys order one of everything... there are several different tire brands on PHEVs and we now have one of each sitting here just in case. That way, you won't have to wait a few days if you get a flat on a weekend, or a whole day or two if it happens on a weekday.

Just email me, and I will get the service guys ON it!

Dianne

Tracksyde likes this.
  2. greinstein

greinstein Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

Ballpark cost? (Or e-mail me)

3. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Good idea, Dianne. Thank you! Now, did you use the inflation/seal kit, or a tow to your dealership, or did you have a donut spare with you? Inquiring minds need to know these things. :)

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    hey di! how bout a group buy on donuts?(y)

5. priuskitty

priuskitty PIP FAN

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    bakers dozen?

6. Jimbo69ny

Jimbo69ny Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I already had a flat too. My second one within a year. The first one was on my 08 Prius that I traded in. Other than these two I havent had a flat in15 plus years! Weird! (knock on wood)

Unfortunately mine was on the sidewall. My car only had 400 miles on it at the time so i told them to patch it. So far its holding up fine. But yes, I know its not safe. Ill be damned if I pay $200 for a new tire when the old one was brand freaking new. lol

7. DianneWhitmire

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Gary, I called you. I need your tire brand.
    The Yokos are $175 a tire with re-setting the TPMS and labor.
    No, that's not what I paid ... but you're not ME! :rolleyes:

8. DianneWhitmire

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I was travelling in with a client (and a member of this board) down the 405 and realized the little tire light was gold.. and hoped it was nothing but suspected it was. I had gone right thru that 101/405/Santa Monica Blvd construction mess and hey, %$* happens.
    I pulled into the dealership by 10am and drove right into service. I didn't have to use the flat kit. I was close enough!

9. chesleyn

chesleyn Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Hi Dianne, you are at Carson Toyota off the 405? I'm down the street in Long Beach. Have yokos. Will you be keeping them on stock for the next year or so?

10. lopgok

lopgok Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I also have a PiP. I got a set of 2010 prius tires and wheels for spare tires.
    No TPS, but you can drive full speed as long as you want, unlike a compact spare.
    I still have two available. I just shipped one across the country.
    I know there are a lot of PiP in the los angeles area, and they are only $75 each...
    Don't get stuck with a flat tire.

See Three 15" 2010 prius wheels, tires, hubcaps - good for spare tire | PriusChat

12. Your a Genius Dianne, that is really being proactive in regards to your customers needs. You may very well be the ONLY auto dealer agent in the entire country that is thinking of the customer! Great !

13. That is interesting, I was told side wall damage could not be repaired and not covered on the warranty . What company repaired your tire? Toyota?

14. Jimbo69ny

Jimbo69ny Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    It was right on the edge of the tread and the sidewall. It was more on the sidewall though.

No toyota did not repair the tire and it was not covered by any warranty. It was done by a Sunoco gas station.

So far it is holding. Hopefully it continues to do so.

15. Thanks, it should be interesting to see how long it last, keep us posted?

16. Jimbo69ny

Jimbo69ny Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Will do. If you never hear back from me assume my tire went flat on some abandoned road and Im living a real life Rob Zombie movie. :/

17. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    This steel rim will work, if you wanted to mount an extra full size tire for use as a spare:

Corolla steel rim, part no: 42611-02471-SW

The stock nuts will work, though they'll stand out a bit. The more utilitarian nuts, for use with steel rims and plastic cover (on a Corolla):

steel rim lug nuts: 90942-01007

18. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I would treat that tire as a donut until you replace it. No high speed travel and expect to be stranded anytime any place.

I have seen some horrific accidents, spinouts, and ditch diversion when tires blow at high speed. What you have is a ticking time bomb. Better to correct when (not if) it explodes at low speed intown then on the highway at 80mph. The most recent was a lady while we were on the interstate going about 80mph-85mph. I was the next car behind her leading the next "pack" of cars and she was a good distance ahead. Her tire blew, the car rocked back and forth, and her overcorrections had the car swerve up a dirt embankment that borders the military tanks' training grounds back down onto the interstate through all lanes of now empty traffic into the ditch between the divided sections of interstate getting close to the other side, then back up on the road on what appeared to be 2 wheels with the passenger side wheels barely touching if at all the pavement then stopped on the shoulder. All within a couple seconds but very scary and very dangerous. A tire blowing is not something people expect and few know how to properly correct the car. Driving with a time bomb is irresponsible and hopefully your car life and those around you are worth more than the cost of 1 crappy tire.

19. Jimbo69ny

Jimbo69ny Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks, I know. but Im not shelling out $200 on a new tire. When it happened I was 2 hours from home. Made it back just fine. Most of my driving is city (slow) but Im taking another trip out of town next weekend. Hopefully it will be fine. Ill check the psi today and see if Ive lost anything in the past week.

20. Meanwhile I would look for another spare Jim. Good to have on hand even if not used. I know that you have enough sense not to drive at 85 with that tire. The horrific account definitely bears credence tho.