1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

need a way to defeat MP3 MFD blanking

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by syncmaster, Mar 22, 2006.

1. syncmaster

syncmaster Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have a 2006 #6 and the CD Mp3 is great, if you have the different groups on a mp3 cd in their own directories the names show on the mFD except when you are moving then toyota blanks them until you stop the car.
    I am looking for a way to defeat this SAFETY FEATURE. Does anyone know how to defeat this ?

Thanks for your help

2. unruhly

unruhly New Member

There have been a few discussions on this already. It really irks the &@!! out of me that we don't even have an override like the 05s, but it is being addressed.

Hopefully an override will come soon. If not, I will be doing an electrical fix.

3. keydiver

keydiver New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It should be very simple, and I think its been suggested before: before they discovered the hack for the 2004/2005, they simply cut the SPEED SENSOR wire to the MFD, and installed a switch in it. Do you have NAV, or not? For my package #3, no NAV, its pin #20 of the M13A connector, which is supposed to be a violet wire. You should be able to see the wire in the pictures I posted for the backup camera mod I did, its only one wire away from the one I cut.

4. AlphaTeam

AlphaTeam Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    What I do until the fix found is to name the directory the album name and then I name the song
    01 song name
    02 song name
    etc...

That way you know the album and with the numbers first they will play in the right order. So when you show the audio screen you have at least most of the song info.

5. osiris12

osiris12 Owner of 3, yes three priuses

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I encountered the same "issue" just a few days ago and was wondering why I could not see or select a new file. I hope there is some sofware hack for this.

You can manually change the radio station while you drive, why can't we select a CD track?

6. keydiver

keydiver New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Here's the picture I was talking about. You can see the violet wire, right next to the pink one I cut for the backup camera mod:
    Back of MFD M13
    All you should have to do is cut it, and put a switch inline. I want to change my switch from a pushbutton to a toggle switch anyway, so maybe I'll do this mod while I'm at it, and let you know how it turns out.

7. keydiver

keydiver New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok, I went ahead and did this today. I changed the pushbutton switch (that I had installed to activate the backup camera) to a DPDT Center-OFF type switch, so the one switch will do both functions. Here's the purple wire you need to cut, a little out of focus in the foreground:
    Purple wire on pin #21 of M13
    Here it is after I spliced the switch in, and shrinkwrapped it:
    Spliced
    This is a VERY EASY mod, and worked perfectly. I was able to access all the audio menus when the car was in motion. Just cut the violet wire and splice in a switch to interupt the speed sensor input to the MFD. Using the new switch, DOWN is NORMAL function (stock), the CENTER position overrides the SPEED SENSOR, and the UP position activates the BACKUP CAMERA/video input. This same mod, but done to the PURPLE/VIOLET wire to the NAV, would allow NAV input while driving a 2006.

8. syncmaster

syncmaster Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks Keydiver for posting this, I will try it when I get some time.
    Is there a place on the internet that shows how to get to the back of the MFD.
    Does it come apart easy?

Why would you want to hook the purple to a switch, wouldn't you just cut it and leave it cut? Do you need to connect the purple back together for something?

Thanks for you help,

9. kinged

kinged New Member

Wow, are you saying you have defeated the navigation lockout? I am sure most of us with 06 are interested in more details.

10. the fish

the fish Member

From reading other posts on the subject, I recall that the speed signal is required to see the wheels spinning on the engery screen and see mileage bars (not regen) on the consumption screen. Also, with NAV, the car icon does not track as smoothly without the speed sensor. I believe that is why the switch is preferred over just cutting the wire. Again, this is not first hand experience - just late night reading.

Although, you could always just cut it and see if those things are an issue for you. If they are, then you can add a switch or splice the wire back together.

11. keydiver

keydiver New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Most of the panels pop right off. There's 2 screws that hold the panel under the steering wheel on, and the 2 10mm bolts that hold the actual MFD down. Very simple job, and its all covered in Chris Dragon's stereo install:
    Chris Dragon's Stereo Install
    I covered the backup switch mod here:
    Backup Switch Mod
    On a NAV-equiped car, it should be just as easy to defeat the speed sensor input. The wire is also VIOLET, but connects to pin #4 of connector N3. I don't have NAV, otherwise I'd give it a shot. But, from the wiring diagram it doesn't look like there's any other violet wires on the NAV, especially not on that 24-pin N3. Pin #4 is the 4th pin from the left, top row.
    Evidently, the 2004 NAV ECU is slightly different, but these directions should still mostly apply:
    2004 NAV Hack
    As an alternative, if one would trace the wire back to where it leaves the "Combination Meter", and intercept the violet wire there, it would disable BOTH the MFD Audio and the NAV at the same time.

12. syncmaster

syncmaster Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    If this is true a better mod would be a electronic switch that opens the violet wire if you are viewing the Audio screen and closes the electronic switch when you are viewing the other screens.
    Does anyone know where we can get a signal indicating that you are viewing the audio screen?

13. osiris12

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V

I'm a little skidish too about disabling other features (the Nav) on my new 2006. It's just a week old.

14. kinged

kinged New Member

So, any new information on this?

15. keydiver

keydiver New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kinged @ Apr 13 2006, 06:12 PM) [snapback]239427[/snapback]</div>
    So, what more information would you like? I installed the mod in my car, it worked, and I gave the easy instructions above. :huh: If you interupt the violet wire, the MFD thinks you've stopped moving, and gives you access to all the MP3 functions. Period.

16. kinged

kinged New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(keydiver @ Apr 13 2006, 10:01 PM) [snapback]239538[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for the reply.

How about the access to phone numbers and dialing? I know you don't have the navigation system, but anyone know about the ability to enter address while moving?

17. energyhog

energyhog New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kinged @ Apr 14 2006, 06:52 AM) [snapback]239639[/snapback]</div>
    Ok to make it simple. If you do the mod the speed sensor is at your control. Without it the car thinks it's not moving. Anything that wasn't available when driving before will be if the mod is done correctly because it thinks your car is stopped.
    The end. :blink:

18. kinged

kinged New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(energyhog @ Apr 14 2006, 07:24 AM) [snapback]239643[/snapback]</div>
    I am very tempted to do this. But I am very scared of damaging my prius.

19. osiris12

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kinged @ Apr 14 2006, 10:17 PM) [snapback]239981[/snapback]</div>

I hear ya Kinged. My 2006 is only a few weeks old. I'm going to wait for perhaps a software fix. Don't like splicing hardware in my new car.

20. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    wow.. so someone found a way to get rid of the "For safety, no message given while driving" eh? Well.. sorta.