1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need advice: 2005 Prius w 62,000 miles for college student...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Ultralight, Dec 30, 2016.

1. Ultralight

Ultralight Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    One
    24 hours update -

The plot thickens or gets more complicated.

Mazda did not check out. Had 2 accidents that owner did not disclose. Not sure how extensive so we avoided it.

The Toyota - well, it looks superb so probably garage parked. And the dealer dropped to $5K. And will give 1 month or 2000 miles warranty, whichever comes first. We give more details at the bottom of this page but enough to say that we have never ever seen a used car a few years old and older look this new.

At this point, does it make the Prius a good buy?

Need a bit of help for my son. He's worked 3 jobs to save for a car as a college student here in California.

He found a 2010 Mazda 3 with 77,000 miles for $5K, private seller, clean title. The seller seem trustworthy and have proof of maintenance. Won't take a dollar less.

However, at a non Toyota dealership, I found a 2005 Prius with under 62,000 miles. It is very clean and the word form three different sales person at different times is that it was a trade in by a couple in the 80s for a new electric car. They want $6000 for it and won't budge below that. Assuming that it is in immaculate condition. Assuming (I know, a bit dangerous) garage storage.

I told him that over the life of the next 100,000 miles, the Prius will cost less to maintain and pay for gas. I mentioned that the Prius may actually turn out more reliable even though it is 5 years old. The rub is that it IS 5 years older.

It is interesting - I find it much harder to help him shop for a car than if I was purchasing for myself because I know how hard he worked for it. Hate to steer him wrong.

Any advice would be gladly taken.

Thanks!

#1 Ultralight, Dec 30, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
  2. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Highly unlikely. It'll cost less for gas and that's about it. The Prius is a very reliable car but 5 years is difficult to overcome. And this comes from the owner of 2005 Prius that has been bullet proof for 135,000 miles. I'd trade my Prius for a 2010 Mazda 3 for $1000 any day. Heck, I'd trade without cash if anyone would take me up on it.

Also, don't overlook safety enhancements between 2005 and 2010. Notably standard ESC and TPMS.

JC91006 likes this.
  3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Take the Mazda if he's worked hard for his money. Probably get it for $4500

The prius will need a new hybrid battery one day (soon) and it'll set him back $3000.

He probably won't want that expense in the next few years.

I recently bought a 2005 garaged prius with 107000. Wasn't driven much. It needed the following.

New hybrid battery
    New shocks and struts
    New inverter pump
    New water pump
    Alignment

So if I were to pay for all of that, it would be another $5000 in repairs on a 2005

#3 JC91006, Dec 30, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
    M in KC and mmmodem like this.
  4. Moving Right Along

Moving Right Along Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    At the years and prices you said, the Mazda is a better value.

5. M in KC

M in KC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Mazda for the win here. The HV battery, if not already replaced with a new genuine Toyota HV battery, at this age is a liability for your son.

6. Eastside

Eastside Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I'll second all the above. JC91006 nailed it with the extra costs that are surely due.

$ 6,000 for a 2005 Prius is a used car salesman's dream. and the buyer's nightmare.

As to needing a car, many of the new jobs for college grads are in big cities where developers are building "car free" housing, i.e. no parking garage spaces.

7. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I was looking for a similar deal when shopping for my kids and found an 06 Prius w/only 44k miles (same story of a very old owner). Although I have repaired the originial HV battery and it runs fine, it will need a new one. If I'd have found that Mazda, I'd probably gone for that. Most cars at the age/price range around here usually have a ton of miles or really poor condition (previous wrecks, owners ditching their problems, etc).

In my opinion, one major pro of the Prius is the hatch design. Most young drivers will be moving........ frequently. Most 3's around here are the sedan; hatches are rare.

8. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No Brainer.

Get an independent wrench to do a looky-see of the Mazda, but there's really nothing to compare.

9. Eastside

Eastside Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    My sister always buys older, low mileage vehicles, previously owned by folks "in their 80's ". . . . She lives in the Retirement State of Florida where, she tells me, these deals are plentiful.

Good luck on the purchase.

10. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  11. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    In Florida, I might believe that story. In Maryland, not so much. Every car is driven by an elderly woman once a week to church on Sundays.

12. Kenny94945

Kenny94945 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    Is there a difference in insurance costs?
    (Multiplied by four (OK 6) years of college.)

At the moment I'd be swayed to the Mazda...IMO easier to repair perhaps plus noting the comments from other co-members.

13. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    People who buy "older, low mileage vehicles, previously owned by folks "in their 80's " often get decent cars.....but there's a down-side to this strategery that needs to be considered as well.

Getting old isn't for wimps.
    Your hearing's been diminished by unmuffled activities like working in pre-OSHA factories, and eyesight is often not what it used to be.
    As careful as geezers drive, sometimes their cars make louder noises than their hips do before it rises to a "I'd better get that looked at!" level.....and their cars are more likely to have parking lot battle damage or previous trips to the Beat-N-Bang Body Shop from the optical challenges of driving in a 20-20 world with less than pristine vision.
    My beloved neighbor is over 80 and he's on his second set of rims this year.
    You also don't see many octogenarians dragging out the ramps and jacks when it comes time to crawl under the car and change the oil.
    THAT MEANS.....
    The same college drop-out down at the grease factory that doesn't give a crap about a millennials car also works on their grandparent's car.
    Mom and Dad still think that they live in a world of tune-ups, carbureted ICEs, and cars that still need lube jobs.
    About the only 2 advantages that old folks have over today's generation is that (1) there's still some deep-seeded instinct about raising the hood BEFORE the car's check engine light is illuminated and (2) to them The Fast and Furious was a 1955 film-noir starring John Ireland and Dorothy Malone that didn't inspire anybody to hack up small import cars.

Pushes always go to the dealer....and.....

You ALWAYS have a car checked out when you buy it.

#13 ETC(SS), Dec 30, 2016
    Merkey likes this.
  14. Ultralight

Ultralight Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    One
    24 hours update -

The plot thickens or gets more complicated.

Mazda did not check out. Had 2 accidents that owner did not disclose. Not sure how extensive so we avoided it.

The Toyota - well, it looks superb so probably garage parked. And the dealer dropped to $5K. And will give 1 month or 2000 miles warranty, whichever comes first.

At this point, does it make the Prius a good buy?

15. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Why don't you get that Prius checked out and see what it needs? It's 12 years old so it's not going to be perfect. Pay a Toyota dealer 2 hours labor $300 and have them look it over for you. Better than flying blind

I just don't like the idea of this car going to a college kid, that won't have any means of fixing it when it breaks. A hybrid has so many computers that can fail (on top of the expensive transaxle, battery, sensors, engine issues).....he'll be caught up in fixing the car and not his studies.

#15 JC91006, Dec 30, 2016
    Merkey likes this.
  16. Moving Right Along

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, it certainly makes the Mazda a bad buy, and the Prius is a better buy with the price drop, but the most important factor for older cars is how they were maintained. If you can get hold of the maintenance records and they look solid, and if a test drive and inspection show the vehicle is sound, then go for it. But I'd be suspicious of any car where you can't access maintenance records. Prii are generally very reliable, but you want to make sure you're doing everything you can to ensure this one isn't a fluke.

17. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    That's what I was thinking when I said:
    Many fall into the "too good to be true" category.

A 2005 Prius is going to need an HV battery soon rather than later. Period. If the additional cost ($3k-ish for new, much less for questionable used/rebuilt), then check it out. If you know the VIN, you can find out what Toyota dealers have done to it over the years here: Toyota Owners Official Web Site

18. Ultralight

Ultralight Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Greetings Again,

I can exaggerate how grateful we are for all your comments - and so quickly too. Helps a bunch.

We just drove the Prius and looked it over on the lot. My wife and I are really amazed at its condition, quite immaculate really. The paint, dashboard, insides other than driver and passenger, looks basically brand new. The paint job feels about flawless to the touch - and we could not find a single scratch around the entire vehicle. The first thought when we drove was that the windshield looks perfect clear. It has all the maintenance done clockwork at a Toyota dealership. Single owner. Had to have been garaged. We popped the storage, cup holders, trunk compartments and everything looks just brand new. The engine compartment was also new looking - though I assume that the dealer could have just blasted that with steam to clean. Not sure.

The dealer claim to have checked the brakes, belts, smogged which required that there's no code when diagnostic etc. 120 points check for all of their preowned car.

It does sound like I am trying to talk this board into saying 'yes'. Not really - I just want to give an accurate report for feedback.

Thanks again! This forums has been just FANTASTIC!

#18 Ultralight, Dec 30, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
  19. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes buy it. Then start setting money aside for a new battery.

Merkey likes this.
  20. Moving Right Along

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In that case, it sounds good! I bought my car a couple weeks ago after having a similar experience. (everything checked out, repair & maintenance all done at the Toyota dealer I bought it from, etc.) Depending on your level of optimism and/or which statistics you read, there is still a chance (somewhere between 3 and 15%, depending on source) that the battery or something else big will go wrong in the next 4 years, but it seems like you did your due diligence. As long as regular maintenance continues, it sounds like the car will work well.

Merkey likes this.