1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

NEED ADVICE !!! 2006 Prius 187,000 miles...keep?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by mctoogl, Feb 23, 2016.

1. mctoogl

mctoogl New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have a 2006 Prius with 187,000 miles on it. I have replaced the hybrid battery at 135,000. Done regular oil changes. No major repairs...just tires and a wheel joint. I drive about 2,000 miles a month to work and back. Car has been awesome. Do I keep it or trade it in for a newer one? Any one have any ideas/thoughts? I am at that point of what to do... I would appreciate any advice

2. prius_power

prius_power Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I say drive the car until you can get a good used deal on a 4th gen Prius. (I prefer used cars) Since your hybrid battery is still quite new, I'd say your biggest concern might eventually be oil consumption due to higher mileage. If it's not burning oil, or much of it, then keep driving it.

kenoarto likes this.
  3. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    When you say new battery, new Toyota battery? That adds some reliability.
    If you did put a new Toyota batt in there, that's a pretty good selling point.

4. mctoogl

mctoogl New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I put in a 12V optima battery......

5. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    But the Optima is just a small 12v accessory battery. You said you replaced the Hybrid battery, which is typically a $3500 job at Toyota (sometimes cheaper).

kenoarto likes this.
  6. 48mpg

48mpg Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    I
    the best car is the one that's paid for and running

Rph74, kenoarto and prius_power like this.
  7. mctoogl

mctoogl New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I replaced the hybrid battery at 135,000 miles and the 12V optima just now 187,000

8. prius_power

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Especially given those two recent repairs, I'd say keep it for sure. As much as I like newer cars, I hate spending money that much more. The new technology does look really nice, but I can't justify getting ride of my current Prius for it, especially since I still get 51.6 MPG. :) Though, if something does go wrong with your car, you could sell the battery alone to get more money out of it.

9. tanglefoot

tanglefoot Whee!

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Deja vu from Yahoo Answers?

It's a personal decision, based on what you want to be driving, how much $$ you want to put into transportation and how much you like the '06. The 2nd-gen is my favorite (the newer ones don't do much for me), and when I have something that works, I want to hold on to it.

10. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I wanna know who put in the replacement hybrid battery to judge reliability of the car.
    Rebuilt hybrid batteries are not consider the best.

m.wynn and uart like this.
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! she's just broken in. but if you find a great deal on a '15, now maybe the time to pull the trigger. all the best!(y)

12. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    We buy cars for all kinds of reasons. If you have a car the is working perfectly, the question is why sell it? Is something acting/sounding oddly? Do you not trust it since the HV exchange? Being green generally means running a car into the ground. Please list your pros and cons of keeping vs buying.

13. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    No reason to get rid of a car that's providing perfectly good service, and will likely continue to do so for quite a while.

Calculate what your payment would be on the replacement you're considering. Then start making that payment to a savings account while you're still driving the current Prius. Pay for repairs out of that account. At some point in the future, the Prius will need to be replaced -- could be a year, could be 5 years. Cross that bridge when you get to it.

jp

14. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    +1 on this.

The OP still hasn't answered the all important question. Was it a new hybrid battery (about $3000+ and installed by Toyota) or was it a rebuilt or secondhand battery. This makes a huge difference to the car's prospects.

m.wynn likes this.
  15. prius_power

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2008 Prius and I know I'm going to need a new battery in a few years, but is the general consensus that bad on something like a Re-Involt battery?

16. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The rebuilds generally do not last well, but may be guaranteed so you just gotta keep replacing. Re-Involt is now Dorman and it's not the same probably now.

Best approach is new Toyota batt...if you are over warranty especially if you are fairly close often Toyota USA will offer an improved price so check here how to do that.

17. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    We got our new Prius when the last car needed tires, fluids, belts, struts and brakes all at the same time (and one of the seats had a hole). At 10 years old, it only had 100,000 miles, but it added up to too much. Sold it for $1000 cash, got a loan on the new Prius. Still not sure if that was the best financial decision. So here were are 10 years later. Prius needed pretty much the same 'cept tires (struts seem OK). I see another 5-10 years to go before we NEED a new car, with an occasional $500 shot in the arm.

18. waynedubjay

waynedubjay Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just replaced my hybrid battery and 12v also(was original, like 11 years old) on my prius with 250k. I only did so because I have 2 other prius's and will swap batteries if one in the other cars is about to die. Probably best to sale, unless you can find a battery from a wreck.

Nvm, if you already replaced the hybrid battery then keep the car. Might go to 300k.

JTDKB20U377584090 battery is bad