1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need advice about 3 gen prius' 2010... going to buy a new *used Car

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by tf4624, Feb 7, 2014.

1. tf4624

tf4624 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Need advice about 3 gen prius' 2010... going to buy a new *used Car

Need peoples take on ones that are 2010 and have 100k + on them... I've found a few with miles 100k-120k on craigslist. They might be in my budget. My concern is reliability with that many miles and it only being a 2010? and about the battery is the other concern

your take on it would be great Thanks

2. tv4fish

tv4fish Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    JMHO here, but I would not be afraid of them. We had a 2005 that we sold at 188,000 miles, and it was STILL going strong. We then bought a 2010 last October that had 88,000 miles and we are having great luck with it. The hybrid battery (the big one) is pretty darn reliable in these cars. I would try to get the service records for the ones that you are looking at as that will tell you a lot about how the car has been taken care of/maintained. If the 12 volt battery has never been replaced on the one that you buy, I would replace that for sure.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    my only concern would be in hot climate.

4. tf4624

tf4624 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    yeah not to worried about climate.. More worried about reliability with high mileage.. i rather get something 60k or less in a 2010.. for a good price.. partly loaded or fully if I can get a way with it .

5. canta

canta Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I really did not know when got in hook with hybrid car. That was the reason that I bought new :D...

we need to know mechanically (* in practical way) when buying used car . service records could help, but does not reveal real truth of the car. we need to know the detail of the car as many as possible to avoid future headaches.

this is my recent experience selling a used car of mine ( was broking down rapidly: stuck flasher(inside BCM/ECM), rapid randomly cluster malfunction(specially when drove for more than 45 min), transmission leaking(a bit and getting worse), jerky transmission during winter time, leaking powersteering hoses( need to replace whole one from steering pump), and so on.. including half broken alarm system that does not work( I had to disable alarm system manually).

selling to private buyer, but this was a gamble when buyer will test and check the whole car :p. anyone that know fixing engine and car issues, would know the real major problems . that would lower down my selling price away down $2000 or less.

the last option that successfully:
    I trade with a new prius. well I mentioned to trade almost at the end of the transaction. I did not bring the car..
    they quote me for $3000, (average private seller at that time roughly $4000-4500 with fair condition).
    I brought the car on the following day, they checked the car not throughly. and reduced to $2700. as we know: dealer gimmick.
    I said right away "you got it" :D.
    I just hand over the key (oops no remote, since I disable alarm system due to not function properly), he just took my key, and deal with finance guy to handover the title and paperworks.
    after 4 hours, I drove Prius to home.:D

lesson learn buying a used car:
    know you car, before the deal got sealed. Service records would help, but your knowledge on how to observed the car mechanically and briefly is the most key on buying car.

good luck