1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need advice about struts.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Arden, Sep 9, 2021.

1. Arden

Arden Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi guys I’m new here. I have a 2005 Prius, and about two months ago, I took the car in for an oil change and check-up. They told me my struts were getting kinda bad. I couldn’t afford to get them changed right then and there, so I drove the car home and was lucky to have a family member who could give me a ride - which meant I didn’t use my car at all for a month. Last month, I could no longer get rides so I had to drive the car. The first week and a half, the car felt normal and fine. The last three weeks, I definitely felt all the normal “symptoms” of bad struts/studs. I only drove to work once a week, and the occasional small trips. With that being said, these are my questions:

1) I am getting the struts/studs changed on Monday. Will waiting this long have done even more damage to the car? I’m just trying to assess if not changing struts is the kind of thing that will cause further, more complicated issues that will be more expensive to fix?

2) How much do you think I should expect to spend? I’m scared the bill is going to be like over $4000.00.

Also, I know very little about cars please explain this in layman’s terms if possible. The simpler, the better. Thanks everyone!

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've been procrastinating on replacing mine for a really long time and would love to read the pros and cons of finally dealing with it. As in I drive so slow I'm almost never going around a curve in the road wishing I could go faster. :)

3. Arden

Arden Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II

How long have you been procrastinating lol? If it’s been like months, then I suppose that will make me feel a bit better lol. Again, I know very little about cars so I don’t know if waiting to replace them is something that’s technically “okay” to do even if it’s not the best idea?

PriusCamper likes this.
  4. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    more like years... But I also spent most of my teenage years driving junk cars way too fast so I'm basically like "trained professional don't try this at home" status. :)

5. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    What about also changing the other components like rubber control arm bushings that routinely age?

6. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    How much performance are you demanding from your vehicle? If you drive slow in general, then it's just inspecting and replacing anything that's damaged. But if you like to go fast around corners and feel competitive when driving, then you'll get a tiny bit better performance by replacing everything with new.

7. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    My point wasn’t competition driving but rather the not unusual situation where a dealer will recommend replacing one component when others are also degraded and can easily be replaced at the same time saving labor charges.
    At 16 years, the rubber bushings are likely degraded and although one would not usually replace them alone, new control arms with bushings can easily be installed at the same time as the struts.
    Also often some dealers will lowball work and then up sell the job after they’ve got your car apart. Best to ask beforehand and get the big picture.

8. ColoradoCrow

ColoradoCrow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Arden. SoI just replaced all 4 shocks and struts on my 2008 Prius standard with 119k miles. The difference is night and day. So much better safer and more comfortable.
    I am mechanically inclined and did the work in my garage. It took about 4 hours for the front and the next day I did the tears in about 3 hours. Parts I ordered were $560 delivered to my door. I also replaced the front sway bars linkage at the same time. Labor is about $100 an hour Id guess soI saved a lot of money. The ride quality and handling difference is HUGE and I’ve also noticed an increase in 5 MPG by about 46 mpg to 51.2 mpg. Odd but I’ll take it. Ask a friend for help and find a you toobb video to follow. I watched an Asian guy in California changed out the front shocks on a blue 08 and it was easy to follow. Watch the video 5 times before doing the work.
    My wife’s 2008 Prius had 109k miles OE shocks and drives way worse then mine so now I’m saving up to do hers.
    I went with KTB Strut plus OEM fit shocks. I’ll try to find and post a link.
    I would not get Monroe shocks. Cheap for a reason.
    Ask a friend or neighbor for help. Air tools are great but not needed if you have. 24” long 1/2” breaker bar for your sockets.

9. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Wear and tear items that don't cost much should be replaced with new, but on a 15 year old car like yours, brand new major components are way over-priced for a car that old so we recommend people get used parts from a wrecker instead.

10. Frontporch

Frontporch Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I typically don't look to replace things unless I find they are making themselves noticeable. For example, struts and shocks are "safety" items because worn out components have a tendency not to keep the tires contact with the road as well as new would. This means that braking can be less effective and you can also see increased tire wear. For me if I don't have any vibration or noises and my fuel efficiency is good, I leave well enough alone.

Also, I won't pay for OEM for an old car and I have the suspicion that I might be in worse shape in a year with some aftermarket parts than if I had left the original parts alone.

11. jkisf

jkisf Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    new struts should not cost 4k, you can buy bc coilovers and have a lot of fun with the car for 1k, oem struts should costs around $400. Personally Id skip both the Monroe and the kyb, the oems are better and not that much more. What are the normal symptoms of ride? I am at around the same mileage on the oem touring tunes suspension and they still ride good with lots of life left in them other than the rubber cover they work fine.

Unless your experiencing abnormal tire wear, bouncy sketchy ride, etc I would leave them, can you explain the symptoms?

Any car at 160k will benefit from new suspension, but these are well made and while old they still may work fine.

prepare to spend
    400 shocks oem, $100 hardware, $100-$300 install, $100 alignment worse case scenario under 1k not 4k.

12. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm not understanding your response vis a vis the quoted passage from my post. Are you saying to the OP don't replace anything other than the struts or just don't get the other things at the dealer? Seems to me if the OP had the capability or desire to go junking then he/she probably would also have done the struts him/herself. OP was self admittedly not a DIY type.

13. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There are a bunch of parts on these old cars that Toyota stealership will charge several thousand dollars to replace and those same parts are available at wrecking yards for less that 10% of that price. It just doesn't make sense to spend several thousand dollars on an old car that's only worth $5K.

14. jrdamien

jrdamien Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    1. Find out if you need the front and the rear replaced or just one or the other. I've been doing a lot of Gen 2 suspension work lately on my own car and a few neighbors.

2. If you only need to do the front or the back, do both sides at once.

3. You can do the work without any experience. Find a good video. It will be easier than you think. The big problem that might make it seem bad are rusted bolts. Get some PB Blaster to help with this.

4. Most people say get KYB struts and shocks and Monroe/Gabriel/FCS/Ebay/1AAuto are all garbage. Your experience will vary. I just did my neighbords and they had already bought all 4 from 1A for $350. They fit well and performed well. Longevity is the question. My sister has had Monroes on her car for the last 60k miles without any issues.

15. knettle3

knettle3 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Did you compress the springs and replace only the struts, or did you purchase the assembled units with new springs, upper mounts, rubber boots, and the struts? I have this job to do on my 08 Prius, and would like to replace only the struts and perhaps the upper mounts, if needed. Also, I've read about the rear shocks/struts being a nightmare to replace. Is this really true? Thanks for any advice you could offer to help me get through this project with a minimum downtime. I have air tools and an enclosed garage/shop that's fully equipped with everything except a lift.

16. Frontporch

Frontporch Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think the danger of the "quick strut" is cheaper hardware (spring, bearing, etc). I haven't done a prius strut, but if yours are in OK condition except for the cartridge, I would swap the strut cartridge only. Spring compressors are cheap and you might even be able to borrow a compressor from an auto parts store.

If someone has compressed Prius springs and finds them difficult/dangerous, please chime in.

I have a 2004 and I replaced the rear struts that had destroyed lower bushings. It wasn't too bad except that the rear cargo area has to be pulled apart to get at the upper mounting nuts.