1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need advice battery issue , possibly bad control unit

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by swoll001, May 15, 2020.

1. swoll001

swoll001 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2008 Prius with about 110k miles. I've had it for about 7 months and bought it from a guy who rebuilds Prius batteries who gave me a warranty and honored it. During those 6 months I've had probably 2 different battery issues . Each time he does a cell swap and gives it back. Now warranty is up. I got a triangle and the codes say p3000 ,p0a80 , p3019. I have an odb2 so I think it's cell 9.
    I called the guy who fixes my prius (he also sold it to me) and he says I need A 2004-2009 Toyota Prius Hybrid Battery Control Module Computer Unit ECU ECM 47070 (I took this from the link on eBay)

He says that if I just replace cell 9 a different cell will go out in a month or so without this computer unit. He offered to replace both for 200.

I think it's possible he is just did a bad job on purpose when he fixed or built it to insure future buisness.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yeah, a lot of these guys are scam artists. are you thinking of trying to repair it yourself?

SFO likes this.
  3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Is block 9 among those that got replaced before? Or is this just the next one to go in the game of battery whack-a-mole? You could be 3/14ths of the way to a fully rebuilt battery. (Assuming he replaced both modules in each failing block the last times.)

4. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    None of those codes in and of themselves indicates a bad battery ECU, so unless there is something he knows from being in there before and did not mention at the time, I'd say he playing the game of replacing unnecessary and expensive part to make you give up and go away.

If you are in Dania FL, there is a respected guy (and member here) Todd in Tampa (Lutz, actually), even though I realize it is a bit of a hike from you. Maybe it wouldn't hurt to give him a call all the same.

TAMPA HYBRIDS INC. | CONTACT US, HOURS, MAP
    (813) 241-5307

SFO likes this.