1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

need advice for after market GPS NAV

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by mkurasinski, Sep 18, 2006.

1. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Warwind @ Oct 24 2006, 09:42 PM) [snapback]337736[/snapback]</div>
    Garmin charges 70 bucks if I recall. A huge advantage over the factory system.

2. Warwind

Warwind New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Oct 24 2006, 09:48 PM) [snapback]337737[/snapback]</div>
    It sounds as though this doesn't apply to the Garmin 350/360, but to the NAV DVD system that you can get with the Prius.

Again, I don't know anything about GPS receivers yet; I'm actually reading all about the Garmins right now. They're not mentioning anything about updates so far.

3. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Warwind @ Oct 24 2006, 06:55 PM) [snapback]337740[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, I quoted Toyota's price for its proprietary system.

I just checked the Garmin site, map updates are $75.00

Garmin Map Updates

P.S. Re-looking at their updates selection, it would appear as if you may need more than one if you are using their system in more than one region of the country (or the world).

4. Warwind

Warwind New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Oct 24 2006, 10:03 PM) [snapback]337742[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks again! I'd have found that eventually...maybe... :)

I'm king of the impulse purchase...I think I'm going to order a 350, to go with my high-tech car. B)

5. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Oct 24 2006, 10:03 PM) [snapback]337742[/snapback]</div>
    You get all of North America for that price. Maps for Europe and the like are extra.

6. smarano

smarano Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(colchestermike @ Sep 19 2006, 04:47 PM) [snapback]321844[/snapback]</div>

I noticed that ColchesterMike stopped corresponding after Sep 19th. I wonder if that's because he discovered the same thing that I did at that time last month: the Nuvi 660.
    No more complaints about the small screen size of Nuvi 350/360. Plus it adds built-in FM transmitter and FM traffic receiver.

I purchased it first week of October and am very happy, DESPITE fact that I have discovered I rarely use the two new features (I'm using the AUX IN jack of Prius, and I've found that the FM traffic report service is spotty, and this is for NEW YORK CITY metro area!).

Key benefit of Nuvi 660 for me is larger screen size. It's close in size to the built-in of our Honda Odyssey, but FAR, FAR more responsive. And touch screen interface is great.

Plus, I found GREAT mounting location for it by modifying the advice of others found here on this forum. Others have recommended mounting the suction cup cradle to the FRONT of the plastic cup holder. This is great location (looks professional; keeps Nuvi out of sun), but problem is that it is too small a surface area to make for a quick mount. In my opinion, there is a significantly better mounting location that has the net result of placing the Nuvi screen in the same viewing location: the underside of the dashboard immediately below the in-dash CD player. While this surface is too rough for suction cup to adhere to it, that's easily remedied by using a 4"x7" piece of adhesive acetate shelf lining. I simply 'glued' it to the underside of the dash and presto: a perfect mounting location that is INVISIBLE to prying eyes when the suction cup is removed. It's certainly possible to use the dashboard mounting disk that comes with the Nuvi and attach THAT to the underside of the dash. But there are two problems: it's basically a permanent mount, and it CAN be seen by individuals looking in from outside. The acetate shelf lining can be removed easily without leaving any traces, and it is not visible from the outside.

I leave the Nuvi's power cable and stereo cable 'permanently' connected to the power receptacle and AUX IN jacks in the center console. I've wrapped them together with spiral wrap obtained from Home Depot. I run this single cable out the hinge side of the console, then down along floor between driver's seat and console. When not in use, I simply leave this cable tucked neatly and invisibly away between the driver's seat and console. When I want to use the Nuvi, it's a simple matter of attaching suction cup to dashboard, pulling out cable and connecting it, and then pulling out the Nuvi and attaching it to cradle. The acetate shelf lining technique makes this much quicker to accomplish than using cup holder.

One last recommendation: definitely purchase a GROUND LOOP ISOLATOR (I got mine from Crutchfield) for the AUX IN jack. Without it there is way too much high-pitched interference.

Doing all of the above, I not only have a professional looking navigation system that's superior to OEM unit, but also a super AUDIBLE AUDIOBOOK PLAYER (the Nuvi is equipped to support Audible, and has a good navigational UI).

- stevejm

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    www.gpscentral.ca

Is 3.5" really small? I mean it looks ok at the shop but when you mount it in the car on the dash, is it hard to see?

8. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    3.5" is fine, it's the small print they use on some road names that then gets kinda small. My experience includes Garmin GPS III+, Streetpilot III, and now iQue 1620 in a Toshiba 830. Screen size on the Toshiba is 2 3/8 by 3 1/4 in. It's VGA resolution, so text can get small. Even so I find it readable. I was amazed to find all the local side streets in the data base and on the screen. I was even more amazed when it put me on the right street. They must use some sort of "nearest street approximation" when placing you on the map - I do recall seeing that in the menus.

Of course if screen size is a big concern get the Garmin Streetpilot 7500. Then just try to find somewhere to put that 7" screen! Neat unit though, including "dead reconning" when it looses GPS signal in buildings, heavy tree cover, or canyons.

I find all my GPS' loose signal for short intervals on hwy 99 up by Duffy Lake. My kind of road! 18% grades, slow to 10 km/hr corners, and paved! Maybe I should just get the Lexus hybrid 450h and let the gas burn as it may. ;)

9. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sl7vk @ Oct 24 2006, 10:08 PM) [snapback]337839[/snapback]</div>
    The way I read it is that one may need to get both BlueChart Americas and City Navigator North America DVD or City Navigator North America NT DVD in order to have current information for both highway and city driving. If I am wrong on that point, why would they be offering City Updates in addition to the BlueChart updates?

10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(David Beale @ Oct 25 2006, 12:24 PM) [snapback]338168[/snapback]</div>
    The thing is, I'm looking at the TomTom ONE. The screen seems sharp enough and judging by pictures (can't see one in person since no one sells it yet, I'm planning to get it online), it seems to be able to put more information than the C320/330 and yet still be legible. The only issue is tha it's using TeleAtlas maps and not the more detailed Navteq maps.

11. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Oct 25 2006, 05:28 PM) [snapback]338263[/snapback]</div>
    I don't know what BlueChart is? Mine only takes City Navigator, nothing else.

12. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sl7vk @ Oct 25 2006, 04:11 PM) [snapback]338312[/snapback]</div>
    BlueChart is for navigating around on lakes, rivers, and oceans. Is your Prius equipped with pontoons?

I have a Garmin GPS that came with no maps preloaded, and I managed to fit all of City Navigator NT North America in about 800MB of a 1GB flash memory card. The "NT" version utilizes a different compression scheme that makes the maps a little smaller.

13. catmother

catmother IEEE Life Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Wany to know about GPS ??
    Go here http://gpsinformation.net/

Great info, not connected with any manufacturer, unbiased advice

I have the Garmin SP2720 and am very satisfied. Fits on dash with the beanbag right in front of the driver without obsvuring the view thru the windshield.
    The Garmin 'webupater' program updates my Garmin automatically and the POI loader let me install all the 'red light camera' warnings in San Diego. Works like a charm

14. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusenvy @ Oct 25 2006, 08:34 PM) [snapback]338344[/snapback]</div>
    LOL! Thanks for the clarification.

15. Canuck

Canuck Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(colchestermike @ Sep 18 2006, 07:03 PM) [snapback]321454[/snapback]</div>
    I suppose technology has overtaken me again as usual but two years ago we bought the Garmin 2620 for our the 2005 Prius. The latest map upgrade which includes all of North America, Puerto Rico and Hawaii ( don't intend to drive there just yet) cost $75 which we installed just before a 10000 mile trip around NA this Sept. It was a joy to have..... found all the rest stops on the Interstates, took us right up to the lobby of all the well known motels, rerouted us if we got lost and contained most of the construction detours. We called it Nagging Nellie as sometimes she would keep pointing out the obvious but it was always correct but not necessarily the shortest way to get somewhere. She even guided us to our duaghter's new house in a new subdivision in St. Charles near Chicago. Probably the less expensive model of Garmin will do just as well but I'm a gadget guy so who cares.
    Not having the DR feature of the Garmin 2660 was no problem even when we got lost in the Boston "big dig" where signal is lost.......just follow the signs. Sure paper maps work well but not nearly as much fun to use nor do they contain as much up to date information.
    Gary

16. benlenz

benlenz Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Warwind @ Oct 24 2006, 05:42 PM) [snapback]337736[/snapback]</div>
    Yes.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Warwind @ Oct 24 2006, 05:42 PM) [snapback]337736[/snapback]</div>
    WOW! Yes they do. I got mine several months back and there were only a couple places that had them for the $599 that I paid. Most places were still asking $799. Prices are really dropping.

17. Warwind

Warwind New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I ended up getting the nuvi 350, ordered from Amazon, and I'm very happy with it. Very sharp and readable screen, despite its small size. I have it mounted in the forward position on the center console, and have it wired into the power and the audio input jack inside the console so it plays through the stereo.

I have a 4G SD card on order for storing mp3's. My iPod is only a 4G mini, so this will take its place. It sounds really good through the audio system. I call the guidance voice "Betty", aka "Bitching Betty". B)

18. silentak1

silentak1 Since 2005

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I use a Pioneer Avic N-2 which has a 6.5" screen. Yes, it will cost you around $1500+ installed and requires some minor hacking to the MFD cables (or else the MFD will not work).

[​IMG]

19. stanleyjohn

stanleyjohn New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Well!! im glad someone has had the pioneer Gps installed.How well does it work? Any pics of the display on??.Any installation problems??

20. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Warwind @ Oct 24 2006, 05:23 PM) [snapback]337732[/snapback]</div>
    As mentioned, GPS receivers don't require an monthly fee EXCEPT if you get one that has XM and XM Traffic. In that case you'll be paying for the XM and XM Traffic and still not for the GPS.