1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

need advice for after market GPS NAV

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by mkurasinski, Sep 18, 2006.

1. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I use the Garmin StreetPilot 2720, and I love it. The screen is big enough to see easily, and it sits on the dash right where I can see it without taking my eyes off the road. Smaller than the car's MFD, but makes up for that by its placement on the dash.

It comes from the factory with all of the U.S. and Canada.

If money is no object, take a look at the 7230, which has some additional features, none of which interested me.

There is no charge to use the unit, but there is a subscription fee if you want to use the current traffic conditions feature. However, that is only available in a few major urban areas, and Spokane is not one of those, so I cannot say how well that works. Supposedly it will route you around traffic jams.

2. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(colchestermike @ Sep 18 2006, 10:58 PM) [snapback]321487[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, ALL the streep pilot models are killer (as are the TOMTOM) ~ but like your prior post points out, your sacrifice screen size for portability, as well as battery duration (when not pluged in). If you HAVE to have a big screen, get ready to pull the Prius seat covers out of your shorts because your rear will pucker when you see the price of the pioneer style / larger screen types ... for example :

http://cgi.ebay.com/VAL0R-DOUBLE-DIN-NAVIG...1QQcmdZViewItem

Price is the down side, extra features like dvd are the up side.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hill @ Nov 5 2006, 11:03 AM) [snapback]344157[/snapback]</div>
    I'm thinking of the TomTom ONE. Any exp. with that or know any hands-on experience from friends/family/co-workers/other reliable sources?

4. jiw395

jiw395 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I haven't noticed anybody mentioning "delorm" and a laptop computer. This is what I have used for the last several years, from going to California, Florida and up to New York city and it was 99% flaw-less.
    The complete package is just around $100.00,and very simple to use. You even get to pick the type of voice that you want giving you the directions/info, man or women voices.The only time I had a problem w3as during a severe thunder storm, and then the only real problem was that it became intermitten, but I arrived at my desanagition.
    All that was needed to operate the laptop computer was a small 75 watt converter {or even a 60 watt converter}, they cost anywhere from $15.00 to $20.00 and plug right into your 12 volt outlet....
    Then their pretty much the same, type in your desanagition address and staring point, choices, like fastest route,senic route, shortest,ect.....
    If nothing else, it should at least be considered,,,,,,,again, my .02

5. silentak1

silentak1 Since 2005

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(stanlwyjohn @ Nov 4 2006, 04:48 PM) [snapback]343895[/snapback]</div>
    It works very well and i would say that the gps is accurate to about 25ft.

It has...
    -Mp3 capability (full text)
    -XM radio (slightly better quality than radio, but signal cuts off when driving within tall buildings)
    -XM Nav Traffic (nice feature, but just like sigalert.com it lags in updating itself)
    -Navigation (very detailed, but lags 25ft behind)
    -DVD playback (good, but doesn't play while driving...unless you hack it)
    -Audio tuner (lots of different eq settings)
    -Screen quality (you can even upload your own background pictures!)

I don't have a pictures of the display, but you can visit this page: http://www.cnet.com/4520-10602_1-5619033-1.html

[​IMG]

6. ravie

ravie New Member

silentak1:
    Did you do the install yourself or did you have a shop do it for you? I couldn't quite tell from the picture but it looks like you replaced the factory stereo with this, is that correct? Were you able to connect the steering wheel audio controls to the pioneer?

EDIT:
    Nevermind, I just found your other thread here that explains all. Thanks.

7. dvdirv

dvdirv Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I bought a Garmin 530 a few months ago and am very pleased.

This GPS does not have all the features of the more expensive units such as Bluetooth and traffic alerts.

You get most of the other standard featuresn however--voice navigation, built-in addresses, 3-1/2" color screen, etc.

But for the money, you get a lot for your buck. If you want the Bluetooth and traffic alerts, Garmin makes a model 550 for $799.

Cost is $599 for the 530, but you can find it for under $500 on the Internet. Either of these models are significantly less expensive that the built-in NAV unit.

8. keydiver

keydiver New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    you can get bluetooth (Plus services) for traffic, weather, routes and such on the TomTom ONE for $499...

10. xbdude

xbdude opticat

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Garmin Nuvi 350 here! Very convenient, and lots of fun to play with in the house. Great website with free updates on operating software.

11. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Nov 5 2006, 07:38 PM) [snapback]344256[/snapback]</div>
    Only experience was from consumer reports ... which was positive. But they sure got whacky comercials that I love !

12. silentak1

silentak1 Since 2005

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ravie @ Nov 9 2006, 10:13 AM) [snapback]346266[/snapback]</div>
    Glad you found the answers. I think Presto's setup is by far the best and most complex followed by what I did. If you just want GPS without any other function then the Garmins and TomToms are the way to go.