1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

need advice for selling my Prius. how/pricing?

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by mrv, Jun 9, 2010.

1. mrv

mrv Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    In the recent housing market crash, I definitely learned that keeping up with the market prices and setting the right price can help you sell your house in a timely manner (i.e. don't overprice yourself so that people will actually look at your product and maybe make an offer). I don't want to fall into the same "I think my Prius is worth X but everyone else is ignoring me because I'm overpriced" trap and not have an expedient sale.

While kbb.com and nadaguides.com and edmunds.com are all within the same ballpark, and somewhat match prices I see for used cars listed on autotrader.com and cars.com, the Galves pricing available through AAA.com more closely matches the low low prices I see for Prius for sale on craigslist.org. What site(s), in your experience, do you trust more for accurate pricing?

Any advice on how to best sell my Prius as a private-party seller? or how best to negotiate with a dealer (and what's best, a Toyota dealer, or any random used car dealership?) Do you meet a prospective buyer at a mall or other public area, or do they come to you, or... What payment would you accept? I've only had 2 cars prior to my Prius - the first my parents sold for me to a relative of a neighbor, and the second was a trade-in at the same dealer where I bought my Prius. (My husband's car sales stories are similar - 1st car went to charity, 2nd went to trade-in for his Prius, which he later sold to his mother.) So, I don't really have experience with just selling a car without getting another one to replace it...

I really should've sold my Prius a few years ago when I moved (and now walk/public transportation to most anywhere I need to go), but I just couldn't part with it then. The realization that I barely see my car, MAYBE only putting 3000 miles on it in a year (for visiting family, holiday travel), and that it is probably cheaper to just rent when I do need a car than to keep one, has finally hit me. That, and I soon will have to pay for garaging as family needs their garage space and are kicking my car out of it... (local Manhattan NYC garages are around $400/month! so if there's a garage within walking distance of greater NYC public transportation that's cheaper and reliable I'm all ears!) If I had sold my car when I moved, it would've been worth a few thousand more (and still have the hybrid system warranty intact by date), and I wouldn't have paid so much in insurance and such holding onto it, but...

Basic info if you wish to help me ballpark a figure:
    2001 Toyota Prius, Aqua Ice Opalescent
    original owner, non-smoker, full service records and gas/MPG logs
    good condition (some bumper scratches but otherwise great condition)
    < 65,000 miles (probably closer to 60,000, but I don't have my car handy at the moment to check!)
    added:
    Toyota CD single-disc player
    Toyota cruise control kit
    Coastal E-Tech engine run indicator
    currently wearing a set of four Nokian WR A.W.P. 4-season tires, minimal usage (mileage log is in the car...)
    LoJack "Stolen Vehicle Recovery System" (aka Retrieve or System I or whatever they call the basic transponder-only system this year) Not that you'll need it, but it does reduce your auto insurance a little bit!

2. clatsop

clatsop New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Go with the NADA or Kelly prices. Craigslist is merely on-line garage sale from which you would be lucky to get 25% of the true value. You might try a note to local environmental groups to see if any of their members are interested.