1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need advice on buying 2010 Toyota Prius,100K miles

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by CodyBoy, Jul 14, 2018.

1. Cryptogram

Cryptogram Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have heard about head gasket failure with some of the 2010's. Told that Toyota tried a different compound in gasket manufacture. Have seen a few for sale here in Indianapolis in that condition.
    Unsure there is a thread about this but worth a look.
    Good price!

SFO and CodyBoy like this.
  2. CodyBoy

CodyBoy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    To tell you all that I ended up buying both, Prius and Taurus Police Interceptor. One is going to a grandson who just got his license :)
    Thank you, everyone, for good advice.

tangerino, Simbaboy and Mendel Leisk like this.
  3. Lucifer

Lucifer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Hope the grandson likes the prius.

CodyBoy and Mendel Leisk like this.
  4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Why isn't there a line of people to buy these cars and you're able to get 2? Are you the mayor?

SFO, CodyBoy and Mendel Leisk like this.
  5. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    +1
    Must be a Chicago thing....

CodyBoy and Mendel Leisk like this.
  6. CodyBoy

CodyBoy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I don't know about other areas in other states, but in my area, (I live in NW Suburbs of Chicago), so many townships/county's;
    50 cities within 40 miles range from my area. After xx years, municipal offices retiring their vehicles. Sometimes they need to spend current FY approved budgets in order to get the new budget. (They almost have to get rid of the old cars in order to get the new budget approved for the new cars on following FY even if the cars that are still in perfect condition ** This is another subject for debate).

So, most of the municipals put up their retiring cars on auction. However, this isn't like the regular auction where you have to bid on the car at the site. Rather, each municipal list the items (all their retiring cars, furniture, tools, etc (whatever the items they can list) themselves and send it to the local auction house. Then, the auction house lists items on their online auction site for about 2 weeks. (sort of like eBay). The cars they list usually starts at $500.00 - $1500.00 with no reserve or some with reserve. From there, the price goes up++

So, individual like me can look through and if I like what I see, I bid on the item. No limit as how many items you can bid. If you want them all listing and able to bid the highest price at the end of the auction, you can win them all. (same process as you are bidding on eBay). If I am bidding on large price tag items like a car, I can make an appointment directly with the Municipal office and check out the item, test drive, etc... If I am happened to win the item, I pay the final price + 10% commission to the auction house; they send me the 'paid' receipts. I take the paid receipt to municipal where items located and pick up my items. In a nutshell, this is how the process goes.

Prius & another car (Police Interceptor) both had 25+ bids. I have been buying a lot of items from the auction, so I have an idea how much it will go for. I also have my max price in mind when I bid on the item, so if the item that I am interested in going far more than my max, I won't get into the bidding war. Because we have so many townships, the cars (nice cars) comes up on auction quite often, I don't have to chase the car.

I used to buy only brand new cars, paying the sticker price. But, since I found out about these municipal retiring cars, I don't buy a new car anymore. The municipal cars are well maintained and also they have to disclose "the true description of its condition". Last year, I bought 2006 Taurus 70K miles for $2200.00, used all year long and list it on same auction site. Sold for $2600.00.

Anyway, thank you all for your time and post your comments/advice. The Prius is perfect 'as is', but I have to find the auto painting service to paint the police interceptor. My grandson says not to paint, but I want to paint before I gave it to him, so it doesn't look like a police car. :) I hope paint job doesn't cost as much as what I've paid for the car. LOL

#26 CodyBoy, Jul 20, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
    Simbaboy and JC91006 like this.
  7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    So grandson gets the cop car. :sneaky:

CodyBoy likes this.
  8. CodyBoy

CodyBoy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hehe...

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  9. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Leave it as is, like the blues brothers? :whistle:

10. bdonley

bdonley New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There are 106 miles to Chicago. We have a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses.......

cnc97 likes this.
  11. Simbaboy

Simbaboy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A very good price, if you got it around $4K.
    A friend is thinking of selling his 2010 Prius. I have offered him $500 more than the Carmax offer to him when he is ready.
    Simba

CodyBoy likes this.
  12. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think I side with the Grandson. What's the "fun" in owning a used Police Car, if it doesn't look like a police car?

I think I'd enjoy just driving around at dusk, and watching everyone slow down around me.

CodyBoy likes this.
  13. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    When I was in basic training, I got issued a pair of boots with leather soles and heels. Everybody else got rubber. I sounded just like our drill seargant, coming through the barracks, there'd be guys jumping off their beds, trying to look more whatever, then "Christ, it's just Leisk...".

14. CodyBoy

CodyBoy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It is a black body/white door typical police car; 4 doors are white and the decals removed by them, but the image of the decal still shows (lettering/logo), etc.

Yeah, my grandson wants to drive the car ' as is'. The most teenager would think it is cool, but not to me. LOL