1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need advice on front wheel hub replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Aegean, Sep 30, 2019.

1. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Well, you're at the stubborn part, which can be very stubborn.

My first bearing job on my Gen 1, I was doing in a friend's garage, and we tried everything that was there. Finally I walked home, had dinner, and walked back with my slide hammer.

Even that seemed like it was doing absolutely nothing for about five solid minutes of ringing the chimes. My arm was very tired. I was about to give up when I could finally see that the hub had started to budge.

When I had a front bearing to do, I put the knuckle in a backpack and biked to the friendly local job shop, and picked it up when they phoned and said it was ready.

I bought an air hammer a few years ago and it has been one of those "where were you all my life?" tool purchases.

2. SanGregprius

SanGregprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    got it out. ended up leaving it over night to soak. put the hub bolts in and whacked them a bit as well as the sides of the hub. Had to fix the top of the bolts a little but small price to pay as I was a bit stuck. I also used a nother 2' on my 24" breaker bar to get the nut off fyi. much easier.
    thanks for tips

SFO and PriusCamper like this.