1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need advice on how to get rid of a Gen 1 Prius right now SoCal

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by pechep, Jun 15, 2021.

1. pechep

pechep Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello all,

I have a gen1 prius 180k salvage title, still has the catalytic converter and everything! However I live in CA and I can't legally sell or ship the cat everyone wants so badly. The reason I am getting rid of it is I have upgraded to a 99' 4runner that needs a bit of work. The Gen 1 prius was great, but after overheating the inverter several times without realizing it, the damage has been done and now I get the triangle of death when it's hot out (even after replacing the pump and coolant etc), and also there is a mysterious 12v drain that has eaten two 12v accessory batteries. It's been parked for 3 years and tags have been due for a while now. I would have replaced the inverter had I not purchased the 4runner to move out of state (which had a ton of emissions issues that are now just resolved).

TLDR:
    The used market price of the car seems lower than the price of the catalytic converter alone, if sold out of state.
    The highest scrap quote I've gotten so far is $869.42 and I've tried to ask $1200.

Any advice would be appreciated, as I have nothing but time to sell the car.

2. dabard051

dabard051 Tinkerer-in-Charge

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  3. ammdb

ammdb Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    You could post an ad on Ebay Motors.

4. privilege

privilege Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    you can't ship the catalytic converter OUT of California ?

5. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Just put an ad for the car in Craigslist for $1500 or so. Mention it still has the OEM cats. You'll have a dozen calls the first day.